Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: WiFi Calling

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    And yes, it is very rural, and a bit surprising that Comcast serves the area. The other alternative was AT&T (I don't know if that was DSL or Uverse) but the neighbors all told him to go with Comcast.
    Yes, cable was a better Internet choice. DSL (U-verse) needs a fiber backbone that AT&T is often reluctant to install. It also runs a lot slower than cable. I live on one of the main streets in town, so was able to get that option.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Yes, cable was a better Internet choice. DSL (U-verse) needs a fiber backbone that AT&T is often reluctant to install. It also runs a lot slower than cable. I live on one of the main streets in town, so was able to get that option.
    Fiber is the best option....than joke cable, junk DSL...
    Forgot to mention mobile internet second than fiber

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    The original phones used UMA (Unlicensed Mobile Access) and T-Mobile launched that in 2007.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2007...-wifi-service/

That technology was very good at switching back to cellular from wifi.

In 2014, T-Mobile announced every phone they sold would have wifi calling built in:

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/press/...s-un-carrier-7
    I had great experiences using UMA.

I remember rocking my BlackBerry Curve 8900 deep inside data centers or underground facilities where no cellular service could reach.

Colleagues were amazed how I had service in those situations.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    I was one of the testers of UMA before T-Mo rolled it out. The provided Nokia phone (6136) was a meh flip phone and hard to use after nearly three years of using a Symbian device but the service was incredible. That was late 2006.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    UMA had the advantage that you could use all the GSM service codes when on WiFi.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    I still have the Nokia phone with Wi-Fi calling, I just trashed the box few days ago...
    Nokia had some good UMA phones back in those days.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post
    I was one of the testers of UMA before T-Mo rolled it out. The provided Nokia phone (6136) was a meh flip phone and hard to use after nearly three years of using a Symbian device but the service was incredible. That was late 2006.
    I was also one of those testers!!! In the early days of internet many people who did have it ddn't "lock it". To test it on different systems, I remember waling down neighborhood streets, connecting via wifi to make a call and then walking away to note if call seamlessly switched to cellular. As I recall, did the reverse.
    Those we the days. As I recall, could even use that beta wifi calling from overseas. We made lots of use of that feature in years that followed.
    UMA worked flawlessly on Blackberry phones that followed. Nowadays, I set phones to "cell preferred". I don't want to be on a wifi call and suddenly get disconnect if I get out of wifi range.
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    8 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. TM One plan. Get $10/mo. rebate on 7 lines for low data use. Net cost about $185-190/mo. We haven't had a landline in more than 17 years.

Feedback Score
    On the OnePlus 7 Pro with T-Mobile I get WiFi and cellular hands off just fine.

I think the reason drops sometimes can occur is when either WiFi or cellular connection provides very low throughout or high latency. This can happen when walking out of WiFi range where the WiFi connection is trying to stay latched on. Same with cellular.

The handoff works well when switching on/off mobile data or switching WiFi on/off. My advice is to proactively maintain a decent connection to the internet to keep a call from dropping.

Thanks to T-Mobile WiFi Calling, I finally was able to ditch Google Voice (Hangouts)! Hangouts would hand off pretty much exactly the same as T-Mobile WiFi Calling. I didn't mind Hangouts, but the app was getting pretty dated and had little customizability. Also, it's nice to reduce dependency on Google.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikethaler View Post
    UMA worked flawlessly on Blackberry phones that followed.
    Yes, I forgot that the T-Mobile Blackberries were also rocking UMA during their prime.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2