Thread: Micro-Cell Deployment Criteria

Feedback Score

Question Micro-Cell Deployment Criteria

I live in the NIMBY city of Laguna Niguel California where macro cell sites are not permitted unless they are disguised within church towers or other commercial building. I have never even seen a fake pine or palm tree cell site here in this city. Unless you live near a shopping center or a church, the in-building/in-home coverage in Laguna Niguel for both Verizon and AT&T is pretty abysmal with most folks relying on WiFi calling. Several years ago Verizon attempted to install a macro cell site in the subdivision of Kite Hill near the tennis courts. This macro cell would have greatly improved coverage for hundreds if not thousands of homes while providing financial benefit to the HOA. The Kite Hill HOA approved the macro cell site that would have been disguised as a pine tree, however the NIMBYs were up in arms regarding this issue citing cancer, unsightliness of the pine tree, and reduced property values. These are some of the same old fogies that call customer support when their cell phone doesn't work! To make a long story short, the NIMBYs recalled the board of directors of the HOA and replaced them with NIMBYs that would veto the cell tower. Consequently, Verizon was denied the macro cell site and the coverage in the areas remains at the same poor level that has existed for the past 20 years.

T-Mobile solved the problem in Laguna Niguel by deploying micro-cells on street light posts and really has good coverage in the area. My question comes down to this:

Why doesn't Verizon do the same as T-Mobile and deploy micro-cells on street lights throughout the city to resolve the coverage problem? I have never seen any Verizon micro-cells in Southern Orange County California. In addition, how can I get Verizon to take action and install the street light micro-cells? Obviously they know that there is a huge coverage whole, hence the reason that they were attempting to get the macro cell site approved.

Thanks for providing insight regarding this.

Feedback Score
    Know what you mean about NIMBY people stopping things people need. The city government here fought Verizon (and the public) tooth-and-nail for a badly needed tower to cover the largest shopping area in town. Don't think micro-cells were in the discussion, and we ended up with an ugly too short camouflaged tower. We have lots of trees and hills here, which don't work well with short towers.

Micro-cells can be expensive to install. Their range is short if you need to cover much area. In some places it would be hard to get signal to those arrays, like in this 1800s mining town.

Device(s)
    Motorola MOTO X4, Iphone 6S On VZW (Wife's)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    Why doesn't Verizon do the same as T-Mobile and deploy micro-cells on street lights throughout the city to resolve the coverage problem? I have never seen any Verizon micro-cells in Southern Orange County California. In addition, how can I get Verizon to take action and install the street light micro-cells? Obviously they know that there is a huge coverage whole, hence the reason that they were attempting to get the macro cell site approved.

Thanks for providing insight regarding this.
    They certainly are installing micro cells throughout the country, in fact there's a 51 page thread about it here on Hofo
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...ll-oDAS-Thread

I don't about in your area but if they haven't yet that doesn't mean they won't in the future.

Feedback Score
    NIMBYs are the the loudest to complain about poor service and demand the carriers do something to improve coverage. I suspect many also don't believe in vaccines, climate change, that COVID19 is real and probably believe the Earth is flat.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    NIMBYs are the the loudest to complain about poor service and demand the carriers do something to improve coverage. I suspect many also don't believe in vaccines, climate change, that COVID19 is real and probably believe the Earth is flat.
    I'm sure the ones that believe those things are against cell towers due to cancer which is false

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    VZW & ATT
    Feedback Score
    VZW doesn't answer questions or work within what would appear logical decision making.

Near me, there is a neighborhood, one of the most expensive zip codes in the USA, that has some of the worst coverage.

After years of begging VZW to improve it, they filed applications to install a micro-cell to fix it. The town approved, permits all approved, etc.

They have been sitting on their hands not doing anything for the past couple years. Asking and escalating and asking, they say its proprietary information as to why they have not deployed it yet.

IMO, its a safety issue at this point, as a couple hundred homes have no decent cellular coverage.

Feedback Score
    They may deploy them given the 5g push now a days plus with the FCC guidance and rules localities and people really have no say as far as stopping a deployment which has it's pluses and minuses. In this case it's definitely a plus, cause apparently proven science means nothing to some people. If they ever have a meeting against a tower and bring up cancer let them know to wear a tin foil hat it'll definitely help .

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max, Pixel 3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile & Sprint (via Google Fi), AT&T (via Red Pocket Mobile and Airalo)
    Feedback Score
    Not only do they have to install antennas on the light poles - they have to stretch fiber optic cables to all of them which is an added expense. The city may have done an exclusive deal with T-Mobile, or perhaps told them that the other carriers could co-locate on the poles - knowing well that other carriers wouldn't due to space limitations on street poles and the expense of running their own fiber.
    Check out my Reno Area Wireless Information & Cellular Guide website for cell site location maps, pictures & more https://RenoWirelessInfo.com

Carrier(s)
    VZW & ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RenoWirelessGuru View Post
    Not only do they have to install antennas on the light poles - they have to stretch fiber optic cables to all of them which is an added expense. The city may have done an exclusive deal with T-Mobile, or perhaps told them that the other carriers could co-locate on the poles - knowing well that other carriers wouldn't due to space limitations on street poles and the expense of running their own fiber.
    Maybe some Microcells have fiber direct but I think most actually use an antenna for back haul to a main cell tower (so essentially two antennas on the pole).

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    One of these things is not like the other.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    One of these things is not like the other.
    Nah. It’s scientific fact that denser cell grids provide better service.
    Last edited by Serial Port; 07-15-2020 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Irrelevant info remoed