Thread: What network is best for first responders?

Feedback Score

What network is best for first responders?

I keep seeing Verizon TV commercials promoting Verizon as the best network for first responders. Is this true? Do more responders really use Verizon, or do they use AT&T First Net?

Verizon is really getting a lot of mileage out of these commercials stating that they are the best first responder network. What is truth here?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    I keep seeing Verizon TV commercials promoting Verizon as the best network for first responders. Is this true? Do more responders really use Verizon, or do they use AT&T First Net?

Verizon is really getting a lot of mileage out of these commercials stating that they are the best first responder network. What is truth here?
    Both carriers have first responders

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I keep seeing Verizon TV commercials promoting Verizon as the best network for first responders. Is this true? Do more responders really use Verizon, or do they use AT&T First Net? Verizon is really getting a lot of mileage out of these commercials stating that they are the best first responder network. What is truth here?
    might want to read this - https://community.verizonwireless.co...s/td-p/1108710

Feedback Score

I don’t understand your response. What does “hasn’t first responders “ mean?

Feedback Score
    I don’t understand your response. What does “hasn’t first responders “ mean?
    That was a typeo. I edited that.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I think it depends on what you want to do.

Verizon still has a slight edge in call reliability and coverage — though with the shutdown of CDMA and the rapid pace of AT&T’s FirstNet expansions — this won’t last for long.

I would hazard to guess that Verizon’s network can handle more call and SMS volume. And when priority services are activated, I would expect this is even more so.

I also expect that Verizon has had more linemen, spare / redundant equipment, COWs, etc. historically.

But again all these things are changing because of FirstNet. Now AT&T has the impetus (and requirements) to catch up.

Where Verizon gets crushed, more recently, is data capacity. This is true for all Verizon customers not just First Responders. Of course this depends on location, licensed band availability, handset capacities, etc.

AT&T has a huge BW lead for both low and midband. So whether you have priority or not AT&T is going to have a lot more data carrying capacity — assuming the tower is up.

Where I think things will be really interesting is in the urban cores — e.g NYC, Boston, Philly, LA. These are areas with very high population densities and very high First Responder activity.

In the event of a major crisis, the network with the most small cells, most Fiber, most reliable and resilient infrastructure will be the most reliable.

Some would argue that Verizon has been leading in these spaces. Though, I’m not sure small cells have any power protection.

Sent from my iPhone XSM using Tapatalk Pro

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

During similar discussions there generally is a great misconception that first responders only venture to extreme rural areas like Antarctica or where a nuclear bomb has just detonated.

That can’t be farther from the truth.

The majority of first responder situations happen in everyday neighborhoods where most people live and where all carriers have decent cell service.

Just something to consider...

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Exactly. While I think remote coverage is important for house fires, tornadoes, heart attacks, traffics accidents, etc., it’s not really what I think of (as a former volunteer firefighter) when I think of network prioritization and resiliency.

I think of hurricanes (like Hurricane Sandy), the Boston Marathon bombing, and Sept 11. Other potential large scale disasters which often result in significant infrastructure destruction, and widespread panic. Or a system failure like if the 911 system or mobile radio systems for a major municipal police and fire department failed.

Heck, on Sept 11th I couldn’t even place a land line telephone call or browse to websites — let alone use my cellphone. All of the networks were crippled under the volume of traffic.

But during Hurricane Sandy, despite losing power for 10 days, my Fios was still up and my AT&T wireless also mostly worked.

Sent from my iPhone XSM using Tapatalk Pro