Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Disabling carrier voicemail?

Feedback Score

Disabling carrier voicemail?

I have a couple of phones from different carriers, and I use whichever one has coverage depending where I am.

I have an issue where when I get a call too my GV number, the carrier device that has no coverage will take the call and send to voicemail.

Even if I disable voicemail, the caller wil get a message saying "the person you called is not available".

Is there a way for the phone to just keep ringing even when one forwarding number has no coverage?

Feedback Score
    You could try turning on "Screen calls".

https://support.google.com/voice/thread/703199?hl=en

Feedback Score
    Screen calls can get annoying unless you train yourself to just press 3 or 4 or whatever the answer button is. This voicemail issue is the number 1 reason I stopped using Google Voice and just ported my number back to a traditional carrier. The other issue is lack of RCS/Google Messages integration with Google Voice.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    OP, try asking your carrier to disable call forwarding on the account level. I think it might solve your issue.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    Screen calls can get annoying unless you train yourself to just press 3 or 4 or whatever the answer button is. This voicemail issue is the number 1 reason I stopped using Google Voice and just ported my number back to a traditional carrier. The other issue is lack of RCS/Google Messages integration with Google Voice.
    But since barryspar said he uses different devices with calls placed to the GV # being forwarded to both devices, how could porting to one of the carriers being used be a good solution?

I can understand how using call screening might be annoying to some people, but do you have a better suggestion for the actual question being asked, based on the described usage scenario?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    OP, try asking your carrier to disable call forwarding on the account level. I think it might solve your issue.
    How could that help with calls placed to barryspar's GV #?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Just thought it might help. Not a lot of other suggestions already made.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    Just thought it might help. Not a lot of other suggestions already made.
    It's a good suggestion. It does help, usually.

It depends how the carrier handles disabled forwarding.

On Ting, it will just ring and ring forever, which is perfect, because that allows GV to keep ringing any other forwarding numbers.

Some carriers, unfortunately, simply have the call immediately terminate if unavailable with a message that "the person you have called has not set up voicemail." In that case, when that line is off or not in coverage, it will not allow any other GV forwarding numbers to ring.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Just relating my experience:

I have incoming calls to my GV # forwarded to three cells (actually two, as one I don't carry gets taken off the forwarding list - and this is all cellular circuit, not using the app in VoIP mode).

So one I do carry is PPC and the second I have as a backup is T-Mobile. Forwarding is on for both of them but the T-Mo device is always powered off.

I've never had the T-mobile phone's carrier voicemail pick up the call before GV's voicemail (and no issues with the PPC line either).

One thing is though: I always run with GV Call Screening on, not that it affects things in my case, to my knowledge.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post

One thing is though: I always run with GV Call Screening on, not that it affects things in my case, to my knowledge.

Would you be able to turn screening off and try it? I'd be curious to see what effect it has.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by barryspar View Post
    It's a good suggestion. It does help, usually.

It depends how the carrier handles disabled forwarding.

On Ting, it will just ring and ring forever, which is perfect, because that allows GV to keep ringing any other forwarding numbers.

Some carriers, unfortunately, simply have the call immediately terminate if unavailable with a message that "the person you have called has not set up voicemail." In that case, when that line is off or not in coverage, it will not allow any other GV forwarding numbers to ring.
    Yes, I know it's good to throw out suggestions, but I'm still wondering how asking the "carrier to disable call forwarding" will help the carrier voicemail not answer the call forwarded from GV when someone calls the GV #. Thanks.

Since you have 2 phones where incoming GV calls are being forwarded, and if you don't have Ting or some other carrier that can do what Ting can do for both lines, as I already suggested above, turning on "Screen calls" in GV seems to be the only way to achieve what you want, since you can't get your 2 carriers to completely disable voicemail, including the announcement saying that it's not set up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    Yes. Thank you. That's what I'm talking about in my earlier post.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I'll have to try staging an incoming call with Call Screening off and see what the results are. Perhaps this morning some time.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    The deed is done.

Smack me down and call me Mama! Was I ever surprised! I turned off Call Screening, made a call from my work desk phone, with my T-Mobile line powered off and PPC line powered on, and the first thing I noticed was that the PPC line didn't even ring, and "some" voicemail with my voice OGM immediately picked up!

I powered up the T-Mo phone and sure enough, once it finished booting and connected, there was a VM indicator showing. Accessed the carrier VM for that line and there was the message I left from the call in.

Switched Call Screening back on, powered off the T-Mobile line, made a test call again (same setup) and the PPC line rang as per normal.

So I guess we can say that when an otherwise unrestricted incoming call hits a typical carrier's system, if that line is off, the carrier VM is programmed (understandably) to immediately pick up.

If that incoming call is going through a process (in this case from GV) whereby it is looking for an affirmative response (i.e. to satisfy Call Screening from GV) from a line it has been forwarded to (in this case over cellular; can't comment on the VoIP aspect), it in effect ignores a powered-off line because that line probably tries to pick it up normally, but the connection to it instantly gets cancelled due to no response to the screening prompt (no human is there to push a button). The incoming call attempt continues to any other forwarded lines (ringing the devices if they're powered on) and allowing you to respond by answering and pushing '1' as the correct response to continue.

I can't say that I actually knew of this solidly in my use of Call Screening (or that I remember any intentional calculation), but I've had the setup of devices/lines I use for nearly all the nine years I've participated in GV use.

But as it does work for me with no inconvenience I will continue as is. If I was opposed to using Call Screening I suppose my remedy would be to "un-forward" the T-Mobile line, which would take it out of contention.

So barryspar's conditions and results are confirmed. If a forwarded-to line just happens to have no coverage, it ends up being the same thing as a powered-off line/device. The only likely remedy is to un-forward that line. Disabling carrier VM apparently does not eliminate a type of "pick-up" of the line GV is trying to hit, and thus that default outgoing message is played to the caller.

And for the record, that first call that the T-Mobile line's VM picked up registered as a Missed Call to both GV (as viewed in the app) and the phone app on the PPC line.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Isn't the proper solution to configure all recipient devices (forwarded numbers in gv) to forward busy/unanswered calls back to the gv number? As gv is smart (?) in this regard, it will recognize that and not answer while still ringing the other forwarded numbers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast