Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 29 of 29

Thread: Disabling carrier voicemail?

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,756
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    ...
    Smack me down and call me Mama! ...
    Told ya so!

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,756
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    Isn't the proper solution to configure all recipient devices (forwarded numbers in gv) to forward busy/unanswered calls back to the gv number? As gv is smart (?) in this regard, it will recognize that and not answer while still ringing the other forwarded numbers.
    That is a solution in the opposite direction.

    The calls barryspar are talking about are being made TO his GV #, not to the individual carrier #s.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    3,284
    Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^Correct... Call comes into gv, gv forwards to all enabled forwarding numbers.

    One of the forwarding numbers is offline (airplane mode, off, etc). That number then forwards back to gv. Rather than creating a forwarding loop, gv ignores it while continuing to ring the other numbers.

    I was of the same mindset some time ago, that carrier vm needs to be disabled or ccf disabled to avoid the carrier vm from interfering with the forwarding. Instead, it just needs to be set to forward back to gv.

    I gave up trying to disable carrier vm/ccf after running into issues with it getting re-enabled (esp with cricket) on its own. Contacting customer service was a wasted effort to get it re-disabled again.

    Edit.... the only caveat to this is if you don't care about carrier number vm's. I suppose is a small price to pay for not having to waste time in dealing with incompetent csr's.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Southwest Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,709
    Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Well I hadn't considered that (gpz1100's suggestion), but it might just work for this application (understanding what Boz1 is saying as the primary purpose for that feature).

    In general I would want the occasional call to one of the direct cell lines to be picked up by the respective carrier, but that's just me. I have no call traffic to my native cell numbers.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    2,313
    Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    The calls barryspar are talking about are being made TO his GV #, not to the individual carrier #s.
    Right. And that is exactly what GPz1100's post was referring to. Configuring CCF back to GV is the recommended solution to this problem.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    3,284
    Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^Now if only there was a way for gv to distinguish between carrier based ccf's and gv based forwards. The only vm's I get from the carrier number are spam type - window replacements, extended warranties, infected pc/windows, etc.. Maybe forward that to a different, unused GV # that has no forwarding numbers enabled. This issue is resolved by killing the carrier VM/CCF entirely.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,756
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by taoman View Post
    Right. And that is exactly what GPz1100's post was referring to. Configuring CCF back to GV is the recommended solution to this problem.
    Interesting. So this somehow keeps the carrier # voicemail from picking up a call forwarded from a GV #?

    If yes, how does one set up / manage CCF if a carrier / network being used is no longer cooperating with self-managing CCF, and a competent CSR can't be found?

    Back when I actually had real phone #s, I always thought the only way to alleviate the described problem was my original suggestion of turning on "Screen calls" in GV, and I do think that solution still works, as evidenced by whacker's experiment. I've used my GV #s exclusively over data only since March, 2017, so I don't have any recent personal experience with this.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    2,313
    Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Interesting. So this somehow keeps the carrier # voicemail from picking up a call forwarded from a GV #?
    Correct. That's what CCF does.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1
    If yes, how does one set up / manage CCF if a carrier / network being used is no longer cooperating with self-managing CCF, and a competent CSR can't be found?
    Indeed this is a problem as it appears more and more of the cheaper MVNOs are getting rid of CCF. I don't understand why this is happening. I read where one user (forget which MVNO) managed to get their VM completely shut off and all it would do is ring. I believe this behavior is in the minority, however. My experience has been when tech support turns off VM the caller will still get a message similar to "this user has a full mailbox or hasn't set up their voicemail yet" which, of course, defeats the purpose.
    But to answer your question, call screening is all I can think of off the top of my head.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    3,284
    Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    @taoman At one time I had both cricket and redpocket gsma vm completely disabled. At some point in the last year both got turned back on and could not be disabled again. I am tempted to experiment with configuring the carrier number to forward to another gv #. Note, I use gv as my primary number so any carrier vm's are always spam or unsolicited.

    FWIW, freeup still has CCF fully disabled on the account. When phone is off, a message, "the wireless customer you are calling is not available... blah blah....................." is heard. BUT, this comes through as early media, so in essence the call is never really connected since GV doesn't pass early media.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,756
    Feedback Score
    0
    I'll try to keep this CCF info in mind the next time the calls to a GV # forwarded to a carrier # / carrier voicemail interference issue comes up. But no guarantees because, you know, old dogs, new tricks...

    Hopefully one of the offered solutions works for barryspar's problem!

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    2,313
    Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    BUT, this comes through as early media, so in essence the call is never really connected since GV doesn't pass early media.
    Interesting you say that because I thought GV is now passing early media and my tests support that conclusion. Always before, if forwarding to Callcentric from GV you couldn't use their Telemarketer Block because it is early media. Tested it many times. But it works fine now when forwarding from GV.

    Also, the true test (in my view) is the "payphone" early media number. In the past, when calling this number from GV you could never hear the message because it was early media. Well you can sure hear it now. Try calling it with Google Voice. If you can hear the message Google Voice is passing early media.
    Last edited by Serial Port; 07-09-2020 at 10:47 AM.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,212
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    Isn't the proper solution to configure all recipient devices (forwarded numbers in gv) to forward busy/unanswered calls back to the gv number? As gv is smart (?) in this regard, it will recognize that and not answer while still ringing the other forwarded numbers.
    That sounds familiar - I think you're right. Let me try that.

    If the forwarding actually goes through it would play havoc with latency, but if GV ignores it then we're all set.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    3,284
    Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I sit corrected

    When calling the 631 # above from a gv # (softphone configured through a*/gvsip) I hear the deposit coins message.

    When calling the free up # from the same gv # I get the wireless # not available message. Status in softphone still says early media as opposed to established. My apologies. GV does pass early media now.

    I think the bottom line is there are pros and cons to either set up (ccf fully disabled vs ccf forwarding back to the gv #). The latter is useful for those that use gv for vm only while using their carrier # as primary. For those (such as myself) who use the gv # as primary, having ccf disabled entirely is preferred. The fact that freeup can do it and cricket can't is unfortunate.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,899
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by taoman View Post
    Interesting you say that because I thought GV is now passing early media and my tests support that conclusion. Always before, if forwarding to Callcentric from GV you couldn't use their Telemarketer Block because it is early media. Tested it many times. But it works fine now when forwarding from GV.

    Also, the true test (in my view) is the "payphone" early media number. In the past, when calling this number from GV you could never hear the message because it was early media. Well you can sure hear it now. Try calling it with Google Voice. If you can hear the message Google Voice is passing early media.
    Ok, that explains the problem I started having about a month ago with my GV forwarding to several numbers. I suspected that GV had changed something.

    A couple of the phones are normally powered off. On incoming calls my active phones would sometimes ring just once and the people calling me reported that they got a not in service message.

    I now have to configure GV to only forward to the numbers that are powered on. That's not hard to do with the GV app, but have to remember to do it.

    I get the voice message when calling that payphone number from GV.

    None of my phone services allow CCF.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-12-2008, 10:24 PM
  2. Disable visual voicemail....
    By ATT*Mark in forum Apple
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-01-2007, 11:55 PM
  3. Hacking disables visual voicemail?
    By knownasmichael in forum Apple
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-09-2007, 07:28 PM
  4. Carrier voicemail service provider?
    By danyal711 in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-26-2007, 04:50 AM
  5. carrier voicemail interface?
    By danyal711 in forum General Mobile Questions and Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-07-2007, 03:47 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks