Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: T-Mobile using Sprints Direct connect?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,041
    Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

    T-Mobile using Sprints Direct connect?

    i wonder if T-Mobile has any plans using Sprints Direct connect and making it better and making phones built for DC just like the old Nextels..NO KYOCERAS!!! and also have the app for smartphones

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,978
    Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5+, Any and all Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket101 View Post
    i wonder if T-Mobile has any plans using Sprints Direct connect and making it better and making phones built for DC just like the old Nextels..NO KYOCERAS!!! and also have the app for smartphones

    Gee, I hope so. And I hope they put a big orange Morse code button on 'em like my Six Million Dollar Man walkie-talkies had when I was eight...


    Kidding aside, I really doubt T-Mobile has any plans to resurrect Direct Connect. While T-Mo offers the occasional T-Mobile branded device (like the Revvl/Revvlry line), they typically don't offer any custom-built T-Mo-exclusive hardware- just re-branded off-the-shelf devices offered by OEMs, so I doubt they'd commission anyone to build them a dedicated DC handset.




    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    6,862
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, AT$T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Gee, I hope so. And I hope they put a big orange Morse code button on 'em like my Six Million Dollar Man walkie-talkies had when I was eight...


    Kidding aside, I really doubt T-Mobile has any plans to resurrect Direct Connect. While T-Mo offers the occasional T-Mobile branded device (like the Revvl/Revvlry line), they typically don't offer any custom-built T-Mo-exclusive hardware- just re-branded off-the-shelf devices offered by OEMs, so I doubt they'd commission anyone to build them a dedicated DC handset.




    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    I'm not so sure about this. T-Mobile now has enough government/corporate accounts that this may be a thing to get them to swap over.. otherwise they will have a hell of a time getting them off the Sprint CDMA network.

    I know even when i'm traveling around for work, when I've gotta take a hotel shuttle, and even around the airport a lot - Sprint DC is still well in use, and it could really be a competitive advantage for T-Mobile to cater to that niche group - especially since those are usually corporately paid accounts and they have no issue paying more than a consumer per line.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Unlimited Elite

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    707
    Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    I know even when i'm traveling around for work, when I've gotta take a hotel shuttle, and even around the airport a lot - Sprint DC is still well in use, and it could really be a competitive advantage for T-Mobile to cater to that niche group - especially since those are usually corporately paid accounts and they have no issue paying more than a consumer per line.
    Perhaps the lower latency of 5G could make DC a thing again?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    6,862
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, AT$T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bmccull View Post
    Perhaps the lower latency of 5G could make DC a thing again?
    I mean for business use it totally has a spot. Back when Nextel was king, phone calls were not unlimited and unlimtied m2m "in network" was not really a thing yet.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    CMA003 (Chicagoland)
    Posts
    2,739
    Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    0
    The third-party push to talk apps like Zello work fine over plain old LTE at this point. Not even any need for 5G, especially when the carrier is QOSing the traffic to have priority.

    The killer feature of Nextel’s old PTT was that if you had Nextel, you had Direct Connect. Today, you might as well just download an app because unless Apple or Google integrate it into the OS, it’ll always be a kludgy add on.

    I swore Apple had plans for a PTT feature years ago. I wonder if that was a rumor or it just got scrapped (or I conjured it up because I always thought it would be super useful)?


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    707
    Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    0
    The trouble is, an app is never going to replace the immediacy of the PTT button. Unless there is a way to keep the app on top of everything else the solution is inadequate.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,978
    Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5+, Any and all Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bmccull View Post
    The trouble is, an app is never going to replace the immediacy of the PTT button. Unless there is a way to keep the app on top of everything else the solution is inadequate.
    No, but a phone with a dedicated hardware button (e.g. "camera button") that can be reprogrammed to launch any app (which would have to be an Android device, since Apple wouldn't allow it) would work.

    It'd be pretty easy for Samsung to allow their Bixby buttons to be repurposed as PTT buttons for Zello or a similar app.



    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    16,404
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bmccull View Post
    The trouble is, an app is never going to replace the immediacy of the PTT button. Unless there is a way to keep the app on top of everything else the solution is inadequate.
    The other thing is I don't see a lot of demand for PTT unless it includes
    <BLEEP BLEEP>
    Jimmy, what's your 20?
    <BLEEP>

    And that's something I hope I never hear again.
    So the smartphone apps are just not loud enough to be heard over a diesel engine.
    Donald Newcomb

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    34
    Feedback Score
    0
    A LOT of radio shops, mom and pop and regional sized, already have the now-niche market for PTT cornered

    In fact, there's one that covers pretty much all of my state in the UHF band

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,041
    Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    I'm not so sure about this. T-Mobile now has enough government/corporate accounts that this may be a thing to get them to swap over.. otherwise they will have a hell of a time getting them off the Sprint CDMA network.

    I know even when i'm traveling around for work, when I've gotta take a hotel shuttle, and even around the airport a lot - Sprint DC is still well in use, and it could really be a competitive advantage for T-Mobile to cater to that niche group - especially since those are usually corporately paid accounts and they have no issue paying more than a consumer per line.
    this is very true and if t-mobile doesnt do PTT then those customers will go to ATT/Verizon ...maybe t-mobile just doesnt care and will pick up the lost later with 5G?


    Quote Originally Posted by bmccull View Post
    Perhaps the lower latency of 5G could make DC a thing again?
    when sprint made their own system for PTT CDMA "Qchat" which was build for their Rev.A 3G network...it was working just as fast as the Nextel IDEN network, i had the motorola v950 which i really like, the PTT was on par and i couldnt tell it was on CDMA..only thing that suck was that u HAD to be on the Rev.A 3G network which at the time didnt have to much coverage...im not even sure what system they are using for PTT now, qchat dead?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    732
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket101 View Post
    i wonder if T-Mobile has any plans using Sprints Direct connect and making it better and making phones built for DC just like the old Nextels..NO KYOCERAS!!! and also have the app for smartphones
    Many PTT apps are available.
    "Direct Connect" is a dead thing, forget it and move ahead...

    Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,041
    Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    Many PTT apps are available.
    "Direct Connect" is a dead thing, forget it and move ahead...

    Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk
    PPT apps are garbage

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    6,862
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, AT$T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket101 View Post
    this is very true and if t-mobile doesnt do PTT then those customers will go to ATT/Verizon ...maybe t-mobile just doesnt care and will pick up the lost later with 5G?




    when sprint made their own system for PTT CDMA "Qchat" which was build for their Rev.A 3G network...it was working just as fast as the Nextel IDEN network, i had the motorola v950 which i really like, the PTT was on par and i couldnt tell it was on CDMA..only thing that suck was that u HAD to be on the Rev.A 3G network which at the time didnt have to much coverage...im not even sure what system they are using for PTT now, qchat dead?
    I mean who knows what T-Mobile will do long term, but from what i've seen DC is attached some lucrative high-paying biz accounts, so they'd be well off to even just ask Kyocera at least for an updated LTE/5G version of the flip/bar phones, and a decently specced mid-range android-based PTT phone like they did for Sprint.

    It would not take too many resources as T-Mobile could just host PTT in a cloud based service on the network anyway since everything is essentially all IP based now - it would not be nearly as bad as the iDen->CDMA transition was.. because the main issue was Sprint's data network was absolutely trash at the time and was not ready to be used for anything "serious"

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone using Sprint Business Connect?
    By Inbox7 in forum Sprint
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-17-2005, 12:11 AM
  2. Anyone Use Nationwide Direct Connect ?
    By homeyges69 in forum General Nextel Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-17-2003, 08:32 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-16-2003, 07:50 PM
  4. Sprints Direct Connect
    By Bagbklyn in forum Sprint
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-21-2002, 12:34 PM
  5. A Use for Direct Connect
    By Steve Punter in forum TELUS/Koodo/Public Mobile
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-24-2001, 01:52 PM

Bookmarks