Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 30 of 30

Thread: Are there two APNs for 5g access?

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    298
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    In my earlier post, I pointed out the 5G is currently reserved for data and 4G (LTE) is used for voice. Both networks co-exist. That would explain you results.
    But wouldnít any Speedtest be used to measure data and not voice?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    19,395
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yes, Speedtest measures data speeds and not voice. Keep in mind that where 5G data is not available, the phone will fall back to 4G for data access. Don't overthink it. Perfectly normal for Speedtest to measure 4G data access, not sure it can accurately measure 5G data yet. You could reach out to Speedtest support for more information if you need to know more.
    Just another day in paradise.....

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    298
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    Yes, Speedtest measures data speeds and not voice. Keep in mind that where 5G data is not available, the phone will fall back to 4G for data access. Don't overthink it. Perfectly normal for Speedtest to measure 4G data access, not sure it can accurately measure 5G data yet. You could reach out to Speedtest support for more information if you need to know more.
    Thanks. My problem is that 5g is available but my phone canít connect to it. Can you tell me if the last two pix I posted are in fact 5g towers? Thanks so much for your help!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    19,395
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I cannot identify the type of towers/technology in your pictures. Hopefully other members may be able to identify them and I hope they will chime in with an answer. Keep in mind that 5G is not fully deployed in any city in the US and sometimes only in certain blocks within the city. Coverage can be sporadic and this is well known. You identified your current phone as a Samsung S20+ 5G which clearly is compatible, what I can't determine is the coverage in your local market. Full 5G development could take more than a year or two. Yes, all of the carriers are exaggerating 5G coverage in their marketing.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Almont, Michigan
    Posts
    4,406
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cnotes20191 View Post
    Oh and so Iím assuming that two of those pix above are lte towers as my speeds went above 400 mbps when I was standing right near them


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Those smaller gray panels could be mmWave panels. I'm not familiar with what AT&T's hardware looks like and they are slightly different than what Verizon uses. If you are connected to mmWave, you will see n260 in the NR band field under the LTE anchor band.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    298
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    Those smaller gray panels could be mmWave panels. I'm not familiar with what AT&T's hardware looks like and they are slightly different than what Verizon uses. If you are connected to mmWave, you will see n260 in the NR band field under the LTE anchor band.
    Youíre referring to the last two pix with towers on top of the building? Sorry I was a bit confused when you quoted this post of mine. Thanks.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Almont, Michigan
    Posts
    4,406
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cnotes20191 View Post
    Youíre referring to the last two pix with towers on top of the building? Sorry I was a bit confused when you quoted this post of mine. Thanks.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes. The smaller darker grayish panels in the middle.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    298
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    Yes. The smaller darker grayish panels in the middle.
    Oh okay cool! Thanks! They opened a ticket I guess to investigate my issue. Iíll go back tomorrow. What can I do differently?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Almont, Michigan
    Posts
    4,406
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cnotes20191 View Post
    Oh okay cool! Thanks! They opened a ticket I guess to investigate my issue. Iíll go back tomorrow. What can I do differently?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not sure what the issue is but hopefully it will be resolved soon. Not much else you can do device wise at this point.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    298
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    Not sure what the issue is but hopefully it will be resolved soon. Not much else you can do device wise at this point.
    Okay. Thanks!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    298
    Feedback Score
    0
    Sadly Iím most likely returning my phone . So I initially found 5g downtown Raleigh near the state capitol building and a museum but it wouldnít connect to 5g. It would show up on my phone but not when doing speed tests. I then found the same thing along Hillsborough street in downtown. Iím going to wait maybe a day or two until AT&T calls me or some of my other contacts get back to me but if still nothing Iíll keep the line but return the phone. Itís really sad that Raliegh was one of the first 5g+ cities back in late 2018 and yet this is what itís made up of....AT&T even said it was on NC States Campus but those so far Iíve contacted at the university says the opposite. So sad but Iíll keep track until the end of the year to make a purchase of another phone or three.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    298
    Feedback Score
    0

    Are there two APNs for 5g access?

    ............

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    298
    Feedback Score
    0
    Itís gone!!!!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,287
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cnotes20191 View Post
    More perplexing I guess is that while my phone says 5g when my phone saw 5g and I ran speedtests they all indicated lte.





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    To answer your question, 5G icon only depends on 2 things. Upper layer indicator, which is broadcast by the LTE cell, and DCNR restriction, which is configured on your subscription profile.

    Your LTE cell has ULI configured, and your subscription is not restricting DCNR, therefore your phone is showing the icon.

    As to why you're not getting 5G secondary cell added, that depends on phone and network support of ENDC combos.

    What combo are you expecting with LTE B66 anchor? Is the corresponding NR cell on air? Lots of things could be preventing this combo from triggering, and it's hard to know without looking at your phone's signaling messages exchanged with the network.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    298
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    To answer your question, 5G icon only depends on 2 things. Upper layer indicator, which is broadcast by the LTE cell, and DCNR restriction, which is configured on your subscription profile.

    Your LTE cell has ULI configured, and your subscription is not restricting DCNR, therefore your phone is showing the icon.

    As to why you're not getting 5G secondary cell added, that depends on phone and network support of ENDC combos.

    What combo are you expecting with LTE B66 anchor? Is the corresponding NR cell on air? Lots of things could be preventing this combo from triggering, and it's hard to know without looking at your phone's signaling messages exchanged with the network.
    Well itís gone now. Iíll revisit this once the new phones come out and only if AT&T or some other carrier (Verizon ) comes here by then but thanks. Iím not too sure about all that tech talk but Iíll be testing out phones and let you know. Thanks!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-10-2013, 04:35 PM
  2. Are there two different versions of Body-Glove for i860?
    By ToddziLLa in forum General Nextel Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-04-2004, 04:35 PM
  3. Are there hidden menus for 3390?
    By GoldServe in forum Nokia
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-15-2002, 06:36 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-26-2002, 01:27 PM
  5. Are there manual slides for the 8260??
    By semidevil in forum Nokia
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-10-2002, 03:56 PM

Bookmarks