Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: CDMA Flip Phone ?

Device(s)
    Motorola G6
    Carrier(s)
    Page Pluss
    Feedback Score
    Nice to see some action here! I apologize for another novel!

HW> Just so we're on the same page, were you referring to a Prepaid Plan ?
    ernie> Yes, prepaid plan. They are monthly plans and so are similar to
    ernie> postpaid. That’s where the confusion is coming from.

Thanks for the clarification.

NOTE: If you (HW) change to postpaid - you must buy your new phone from Verizon
    at full price (or unlocked) = expensive!

HW> FJ, which Alcatel ....?
    LOBO> Page Plus seems ...

These are distractions. HW is hypnotized by his balance on Verizon
    Prepaid. A change to P+ or Trac will cost HW his balance.
    I'm hypnotized by my balances too, even though I know what's happening.

LOBO>Page plus refill cards are not commonly found ...

The only places I see them recently are 7-11 brand convenience stores.
    (In the past, I've seen them in Walgreens and Circle-K stores.)

As a cell phone hobbyist, I have several Alcatels’

HW> Also, could anyone suggest a good flip phone ?
    HW> Verizon used to have ...
    HW> ...junky now. Overpriced too, like the $100 Alcatel Go Flip 5 which
    HW> you can buy much the same model from Tracfone for $20.

LOBO> There are other phones, but Verizon will not accept them.

Amen!

The Alcatel is priced from FREE (with airtime purchase ) to
    $100 at Verizon and T-Mobile. (Phones may difer slightly...)

IMHO the best answer is a phone branded Verizon Prepaid from a big box store like WalMart, Target, Best Buy or something like it on line. See if Verizon will let you keep your plan.

Regards, FJ

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    If you are considering Page Plus as an alternate to Verizon, there is a phone better than most of the Alcatel Flips. LG Classic Flip L125DL. Has been getting good reviews compared to the previous Alcatel MyFlip. This is a Tracfone branded model that can be activated on Page Plus.

Page plus refill cards are not commonly found in stores anymore, but there are online sources.

Thanks Lobo,

Yes I'm reading the LG Classic Flip L125DL is getting very solid reviews. I'm assuming I can not use it on Verizon though (?). However after I've burned up my balance with Verizon I'm thinking for my usage to either go with P+ or possibly even Tracfone, as they both offer one year plans at a decent price.

Any thoughts on Tracfone as compared to P+ ?

Page Plus Cellular Adds Annual Cell Phone Plan
    The plan provides 2,000 airtime minutes for use over a one year period for $80, which equates to $. 04 per minute.

Tracfone
    400 minutes (365 days): $99.99
    *this can be a little confusing though as I understand TF uses triple minutes (?) so it's hard to compare. But essentially they are both relatively inexpensive.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontierjustice View Post

The Alcatel is priced from FREE (with airtime purchase ) to
    $100 at Verizon and T-Mobile. (Phones may difer slightly...)

IMHO the best answer is a phone branded Verizon Prepaid from a big box store like WalMart, Target, Best Buy or something like it on line. See if Verizon will let you keep your plan.

Regards, FJ
    Thanks FJ,

Yes I think I'll pick up an inexpensive Verizon Prepaid phone to use up my balance. However from then on I'll probably switch over to someone like P+ or possibly TF.

I suppose the Alcatels would be my only choice at this point as I haven't seen anything else currently available for Verizon. At least for a temporary basis. Then again I also don't know if Verizon will even allow me to keep my plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HardWird View Post
    Thanks Lobo,

Yes I'm reading the LG Classic Flip L125DL is getting very solid reviews. I'm assuming I can not use it on Verizon though (?). However after I've burned up my balance with Verizon I'm thinking for my usage to either go with P+ or possibly even Tracfone, as they both offer one year plans at a decent price.
    What is the source of the L125DL? DL sounds like a Tracfone model. Tracfone branded phones can't be used on Verizon Prepaid. They are locked to Tracfone. Conversely, Verizon phones CAN be used on Tracfone with no need to be unlocked, and also on Verizon Prepaid.

Any thoughts on Tracfone as compared to P+ ?
    They are both run by the same parent company - America Movil - not much difference. You get the same customer support people with either. I have used Tracfone since 2002, mostly with no problems. Any problems were from changing the service from one phone to another way back when the only way to contact them was by voice call (with major language issues). Now they have online chat and you can do most things in the online account.

*this can be a little confusing though as I understand TF uses triple minutes (?) so it's hard to compare. But essentially they are both relatively inexpensive.
    I think the current flip phones can only use the smartphone "cards" that are single minute. Maybe someone knows for sure. If it is still triple "minutes", for the "card" price you get three times the service units on the "card". The service time is not tripled.

Device(s)
    Motorola G6
    Carrier(s)
    Page Pluss
    Feedback Score
    Thanks to Bobdevnul and Lobohealer.

1. Yes …. LG Classic Flip L125DL is getting very solid reviews. I'm assuming I can not use it on Verizon though (?).

Depends. It will run on Verizon towers through Tracfone, PagePlus, Total Wireless or other America Movil brands. Verizon Postpaid oe Verizon Prepaid – no.

2. ... I'm thinking for my usage to either go with P+ or possibly even Tracfone, as they both offer one year plans at a decent price.

For every low usage, P+ wins. Trac for a year is $99 oe $8.33 a month ; P+ for $80 is $6.66 a month. ; Trac on the 90-day deal is $6.66 a month ; P+ on the 119-day deal is $30 a year or $2.50 a month.

3. Tracfone branded phones can't be used on Verizon Prepaid. They are locked to Tracfone. Conversely, Verizon phones CAN be used on Tracfone with no need to be unlocked, and also on Verizon Prepaid.
    I didn’t know that!
    4. Any thoughts on Tracfone as compared to P+ ?

Trac bought P+ a few years ago. They are very much the same.
    5. I understand TF uses triple minutes (?)

Yes if you’re grandfathered ; else -no. (You can go through some hoops to do this.)

Regards, FJ

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    What is the source of the L125DL? DL sounds like a Tracfone model. Tracfone branded phones can't be used on Verizon Prepaid. They are locked to Tracfone. Conversely, Verizon phones CAN be used on Tracfone with no need to be unlocked, and also on Verizon Prepaid.

They are both run by the same parent company - America Movil - not much difference. You get the same customer support people with either. I have used Tracfone since 2002, mostly with no problems. Any problems were from changing the service from one phone to another way back when the only way to contact them was by voice call (with major language issues). Now they have online chat and you can do most things in the online account.

I think the current flip phones can only use the smartphone "cards" that are single minute. Maybe someone knows for sure. If it is still triple "minutes", for the "card" price you get three times the service units on the "card". The service time is not tripled.

Thanks Bob, yes the L125DL was a Tracfone. I saw it in Walmart.

I'll have to look into the cards and see if they triple the service units. That would make a big difference.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontierjustice View Post

For every low usage, P+ wins. Trac for a year is $99 oe $8.33 a month ; P+ for $80 is $6.66 a month. ; Trac on the 90-day deal is $6.66 a month ; P+ on the 119-day deal is $30 a year or $2.50 a month.

Regards, FJ

Yes PP is a better deal, though for a few extra bucks TF is a lot easier to acquire cards and phones for. I looked around and couldn't find PP anywhere. On their website there's a link to their plans/cards on Amazon, but when I looked there was nothing there. You can of course buy from PP themselves though I prefer not to use a CC when I can avoid it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2