Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CDMA Flip Phone ?

Feedback Score

CDMA Flip Phone ?

I have an old Gusto II CDMA flip phone that I use mostly just for emergencies. I usually added $100 once a year to keep it active. Of which I'm due in a week or so. Also since I use it only for emergencies I've accrued a large amount in my current account +$300.

I read they were phasing out the CDMA phones (?) but I just got off the phone with a Verizon Rep who said that wasn't true and I could still continue using my phone 'indefinitely'.

Is this true, can I continue using this phone or are they in fact phasing them out ?

If they are phasing them out in the next few months is it possible to get Verizon to grant me an extension from say July 2020 to Dec 2020 so I wouldn't have to add more money to an already large account ?

What other inexpensive flip phones are there that I could switch to and keep my plan ? At least until after I deplete the account ?

Thanks...

Feedback Score
    The Verizon rep told you wrong. CDMA is being phased out. There is not a hard date but as soon and end of this year to middle next year. AT&T has to keep 3G until sometime in 2022. T-MOBILE is phasing it out now. The spectrum Verizon runs CDMA on will be repurposed to 5G.

Sent from my iPad using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HardWird View Post
    I have an old Gusto II CDMA flip phone that I use mostly just for emergencies. I usually added $100 once a year to keep it active. Of which I'm due in a week or so. Also since I use it only for emergencies I've accrued a large amount in my current account +$300.

I read they were phasing out the CDMA phones (?) but I just got off the phone with a Verizon Rep who said that wasn't true and I could still continue using my phone 'indefinitely'.

Is this true, can I continue using this phone or are they in fact phasing them out ?

If they are phasing them out in the next few months is it possible to get Verizon to grant me an extension from say July 2020 to Dec 2020 so I wouldn't have to add more money to an already large account ?

What other inexpensive flip phones are there that I could switch to and keep my plan ? At least until after I deplete the account ?

Thanks...
    The Verizon rep was incorrect. You don't need an extension. Verizon has committed to continue operating CDMA voice/text, as-is, where-is, until the end of 2020. I think they are serious this time and really will turn CDMA off for consumer mobile phones.

There are still flip phones for Verizon. Just do a web search for "Verizon flip phone". I don't know much about them. I did see one at Best Buy for ~$30.

Unless someone else knows, you would have to ask Verizon if you can keep your plan with a new phone. A plan with a $300 balance does not sound like anything they currently offer.

Good luck

Feedback Score
    You need to buy a Verizon compatible 4g basic phone and switch to the cheapest plan ($25). The balance will not expire but will be used for the monthly service fee. You will need to refill after the balance is used up.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    The Verizon rep was incorrect. You don't need an extension. Verizon has committed to continue operating CDMA voice/text, as-is, where-is, until the end of 2020. I think they are serious this time and really will turn CDMA off for consumer mobile phones.

There are still flip phones for Verizon. Just do a web search for "Verizon flip phone". I don't know much about them. I did see one at Best Buy for ~$30.

Unless someone else knows, you would have to ask Verizon if you can keep your plan with a new phone. A plan with a $300 balance does not sound like anything they currently offer.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Mandelstamm1 View Post
    The Verizon rep told you wrong. CDMA is being phased out. There is not a hard date but as soon and end of this year to middle next year. AT&T has to keep 3G until sometime in 2022. T-MOBILE is phasing it out now. The spectrum Verizon runs CDMA on will be repurposed to 5G.

Sent from my iPad using HoFo

Thanks guys, yes I called again and was told that they should be turning CDMA Off possibly by the end of the year. But he wasn't sure exactly when.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie617 View Post
    You need to buy a Verizon compatible 4g basic phone and switch to the cheapest plan ($25). The balance will not expire but will be used for the monthly service fee. You will need to refill after the balance is used up.

Thanks Ernie, just so I understand. You're saying that I wouldn't have to keep adding $25 each month until I used up the $300+ balance. Is that correct ? I was under the impression that I'd have to add funds every month, 3 months, ect depending on what card I bought or they would turn my service off irregardless of how much of a balance I had.

For my current plan, I have to add $100 once a year to keep my account active. Would I lose this plan, and have to switch to a 'once a month' plan ? I've had this for so long.

Do they also offer once every 3 months, or once every 6 month plans, ect instead of monthly plans ? It was just a lot easier and cheaper to do it once a year.

Also, could anyone suggest a good flip phone ? The rep I spoke with suggested the E-Talk 4G phone, however I looked it up and found it had a solid one star rating. Every reviewer said it was very poor quality.

Thanks again...

Feedback Score
    Thanks Ernie, just so I understand. You're saying that I wouldn't have to keep adding $25 each month until I used up the $300+ balance. Is that correct ? I was under the impression that I'd have to add funds every month, 3 months, ect depending on what card I bought or they would turn my service off irregardless of how much of a balance I had.

For my current plan, I have to add $100 once a year to keep my account active. Would I lose this plan, and have to switch to a 'once a month' plan ? I've had this for so long.

Do they also offer once every 3 months, or once every 6 month plans, ect instead of monthly plans ? It was just a lot easier and cheaper to do it once a year.

Also, could anyone suggest a good flip phone ? The rep I spoke with suggested the E-Talk 4G phone, however I looked it up and found it had a solid one star rating. Every reviewer said it was very poor quality.

Thanks again...
    Correct. Once you switch to the new plan (which they will force you to do when you activate the 4g phone) you don't have to add funds each month as long as you have funds in the account. You can use the existing funds until they are depleted and then add as needed. All plans are monthly, so they will renew and charge your account every month. They don't offer other plans.

As far as the phone goes I think the options are not great but for the basic phone you need maybe the Alcatel flip phone they're offering now is not a bad idea.

Feedback Score
    Once your Verizon Prepaid balance is used up you could consider switching to a less expensive service for your low use.

Page Plus uses Verizon cells and the same phone would work. They are a minimum of $10 deposit every 120 days. That is effectively $2.50 a month. Calls and texts are deducted from your balance at 6 cents a minute, 5 cents a text. There is also data at 5 cents a MB, but that wouldn't be much use on a flip phone.

Page Plus has been around for years. It's not a fly-by-night outfit. They are one of the America Movil (Tracfone) brands. Being an America Movil (Tracfone) brand, the customer phone support can be pretty bad, but you would probably never need them as long as you can take care of payments in your online account.

You can search and compare prepaid service providers at: prepaidcompare.net

Device(s)
    Motorola G6
    Carrier(s)
    Page Pluss
    Feedback Score
    Both Ernie and Bob offer good advice. I'll throw in my two cents ... and
    hope that Forum members correct my errors. I apologize for the novel.

1. HW> I have a Gusto II ...

Yes, this goes away and you should get a replacement.

2. HW> ...inexpensive phones ...

Okeh, but you're not in truely "inexpensive phone" territory. For a new phone
    I suggest a Verizon "Prepaid" phone. My local Target has 4 or 5 Verizon prepaids
    (in more or less white boxes) next to the Tracfones. Includes a "flip" IIRC.

3. HW> ...keep my plan...

I've been gone from Verizon for some time. I suggest you can stay on your current
    plan until they send you a message that you can't. I think this is true for the 15-day,
    30-day, day-by-day ($2), 90-day 180-day or 365-day plans. If you have it now, Verizon will continue
    to take your money until they tell you they won't.

4. Bob> There are still flip phones for Verizon. Just do a web search for "Verizon flip phone".
    I don't know much about them. I did see one at Best Buy for ~$30.

Target has them too.

5. Ernie> You need to buy a Verizon compatible 4g basic phone and switch to the
    cheapest plan ($25). The balance will not expire but will be used for the monthly
    service fee. You will need to refill after the balance is used up.

This advice confused me. It sounds like Ernice suggests switching to *POSTPAID*
    Verizon and running out your balance. (T-Mobile and ATT offer this.)After another look, I think Ernie
    is suggestion a prepaid monthly plan. Does it work this way? Dunno.

CAUTION: Uf you were to do this on Page Plus, you'd
    have to watch your cash balance seperataly!

6. HW> ... I wouldn't have to keep adding $25 each month until I used up the $300+ balance.
    Is that correct ?

Maybe. I think you'll have to watch your "myAccount" page to see when you have to add money.

7. HW> ..the E-Talk 4G phone, ...Every reviewer said it was very poor quality.

Lotta enthusiam in every corner for SmartPhones.

8. Ernie> Once you switch to the new plan (which they will force you to do when you
    activate the 4g phone) you don't have to add funds each month as long as you have funds in the account. You can use the existing funds until they are depleted and then add as needed. All plans are monthly, so they will renew and charge your account every month. They don't offer other plans.

That seems logical. I'd like to see it spelled out somewhere on Verizon.

9. Ernie> .. maybe the Alcatel flip phone they're offering now is not a bad idea.

I'm happy with mine.

10. Bob> ... consider switching to a less expensive service for your low use.
    I like P+ too.

Regards, FJ

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie617 View Post
    Correct. Once you switch to the new plan (which they will force you to do when you activate the 4g phone) you don't have to add funds each month as long as you have funds in the account. You can use the existing funds until they are depleted and then add as needed. All plans are monthly, so they will renew and charge your account every month. They don't offer other plans.

Just so we're on the same page, were you referring to a Prepaid Plan ?

A friend has an Alcatel flip which he said was pretty good. I'll give them a look. It was with Tracfone I believe.

Thanks again

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Once your Verizon Prepaid balance is used up you could consider switching to a less expensive service for your low use.

Page Plus uses Verizon cells and the same phone would work. They are a minimum of $10 deposit every 120 days. That is effectively $2.50 a month. Calls and texts are deducted from your balance at 6 cents a minute, 5 cents a text. There is also data at 5 cents a MB, but that wouldn't be much use on a flip phone.

Page Plus has been around for years. It's not a fly-by-night outfit. They are one of the America Movil (Tracfone) brands. Being an America Movil (Tracfone) brand, the customer phone support can be pretty bad, but you would probably never need them as long as you can take care of payments in your online account.

You can search and compare prepaid service providers at: prepaidcompare.net

Page Plus at $2.50 a month sounds like a good match. I'll definitely look into that. I friend of mine has Tracphone (America Movil) and seems to be happy with them.

Thanks for the link it's nice to have all that info in one place. Makes it easier to compare.

Their top 'news' story has ... "The Verizon Prepaid Moto E5 Go Is Now Free In-Store At Walmart"

Along with these...

TCL Alcatel Avalon - $42.88 with SRP of $79
    Motorola Moto E6 - $89 with SRP of $119
    Freetel eTalk Flip Phone - $19.88 with SRP of $24.88
    Nokia 3V - $88.88 with SRP of $109

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontierjustice View Post

I've been gone from Verizon for some time. I suggest you can stay on your current
    plan until they send you a message that you can't. I think this is true for the 15-day,
    30-day, day-by-day ($2), 90-day 180-day or 365-day plans. If you have it now, Verizon will continue
    to take your money until they tell you they won't.

Thanks FJ that's a good point as I really don't know what Verizon will do concerning my account. Though most likely I'll probably be forced on to a new plan at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontierjustice View Post

9. Ernie> .. maybe the Alcatel flip phone they're offering now is not a bad idea.

I'm happy with mine.

10. Bob> ... consider switching to a less expensive service for your low use.
    I like P+ too.

Regards, FJ

FJ, which Alcatel flip phone do you have ? (Are there more than one ?)

Page Plus seems to be pretty popular here. I definitely have to check them out. IIRC I believe I saw their payment cards in Walmart.

Feedback Score
    Verizon used to have some fairly decent lower priced basic phones, but they all look junky now. Overpriced too, like the $100 Alcatel Go Flip 5 which you can buy much the same model from Tracfone for $20.

There are other phones, but Verizon will not accept them.

Feedback Score
    FJ, which Alcatel flip phone do you have ? (Are there more than one ?)

Page Plus seems to be pretty popular here. I definitely have to check them out. IIRC I believe I saw their payment cards in Walmart.
    If you are considering Page Plus as an alternate to Verizon, there is a phone better than most of the Alcatel Flips. LG Classic Flip L125DL. Has been getting good reviews compared to the previous Alcatel MyFlip. This is a Tracfone branded model that can be activated on Page Plus.

Page plus refill cards are not commonly found in stores anymore, but there are online sources.

Feedback Score
    Just so we're on the same page, were you referring to a Prepaid Plan ?
    Yes, prepaid plan. They are monthly plans and so are similar to postpaid. That’s where the confusion is coming from.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast