Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: Anyone else in SoCal lose 5MHz on B71?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles/Canada
    Posts
    11,765
    Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0

    Anyone else in SoCal lose 5MHz on B71?

    Looks like B71 is only 10MHz nowName:  Capture%2B_2020-06-27-20-42-13.jpeg
Views: 120
Size:  22.6 KB

    Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2,250
    Feedback Score
    0
    The free lease Dish was giving them is about to run out and they haven't renewed it yet. They did just sign a 3 year lease with CH 51 License Corp which will give T-Mobile an additional 5X5 block in the LA market

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Western MA
    Posts
    1,885
    Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    0
    I thought I read that T-Mobile is now using Band 71 for 5G. Are they still going to use some for LTE (before activating DSS)?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,911
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    I thought I read that T-Mobile is now using Band 71 for 5G. Are they still going to use some for LTE (before activating DSS)?
    They are using some band 71 for LTE here in central Virginia. The map shows that they also have n71 5G. I don't have a 5G device to verify that - also don't know how many MHz of 71 they have here and how it is split.

    Band 71 LTE is not very fast, like 3-8 Mbps, but it sure did improve coverage. Before they turned on LTE on band 71 I had no T-Mo signal at home and hit or miss in town.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles/Canada
    Posts
    11,765
    Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    They initially deployed B71 on 10x10 in SoCal, then diverted 5MHz to nr71. When they stuck a deal with Dish a few months back, it went to 15x15LTE abd I don't know about n71 here. A few days back, it dropped to 10x10. With the LG G7 and carrier aggregation, it isn't very good for performance speed wise. It does better on its own and is actually worse when CA with B2 and B4 than B2 B4 CA without B71. Might be a device issue.Name:  Capture%2B_2020-06-28-20-24-06.jpeg
Views: 81
Size:  21.3 KB

    Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2,250
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    I thought I read that T-Mobile is now using Band 71 for 5G. Are they still going to use some for LTE (before activating DSS)?
    Unless the want to lose non-5G customers to at&T and Verizon they need some lowband LTE other than B12. Last I heard T-Mobile has very little interest in using DSS. I they can get leases they'll probably keep 10X10 on LTE in most areas the rest on 5G and when the 3 years leases are up they'll just have all their b71 on 5G with the hope that most people have upgraded to 5G phones by then.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles/Canada
    Posts
    11,765
    Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Unless the want to lose non-5G customers to at&T and Verizon they need some lowband LTE other than B12. Last I heard T-Mobile has very little interest in using DSS. I they can get leases they'll probably keep 10X10 on LTE in most areas the rest on 5G and when the 3 years leases are up they'll just have all their b71 on 5G with the hope that most people have upgraded to 5G phones by then.
    B12 is useful indoors and in rural areas for coverage.. but hasn't really been much of use where I am. Same goes with B71 actually. Its typically pretty rare that I end up on B71 / B12 unless the site is maxed out for capacity, or used for coverage. That being said, in my suburbia, B4/B2 typically result in +100 to +200Mbps on their own with good signal and ~20-40Mbps where its weak. This is mostly due to having a lot of sites more than a lot of spectrum.

    In other locations (L.A. proper, its hit or miss for service... +150Mbps or <5Mbps.
    I suspect that a LOT of LA proper (may be other locations as well) lack backhaul and/or MIMO capabilities.
    Many pole mounted sites (non directional omni) have range of only a few blocks, and speeds that never get past ~140Mbps with B2+B4 CA (10x10 + 20x20), while fully backhauled sites can get 160Mbps on B4 20x20 alone.
    Eg. In LA I've passed areas with the small omni (track of condo/MDU's) and struggle to get usable service.
    I suspect that T-Mobile must have their plans of how to redeploy Sprint for use in these places.. and this too will do wonders.
    Rural areas.... going to need to keep at least 10x10, as there's no CA between B12 and B71.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2,250
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    B12 is useful indoors and in rural areas for coverage.. but hasn't really been much of use where I am. Same goes with B71 actually. Its typically pretty rare that I end up on B71 / B12 unless the site is maxed out for capacity, or used for coverage. That being said, in my suburbia, B4/B2 typically result in +100 to +200Mbps on their own with good signal and ~20-40Mbps where its weak. This is mostly due to having a lot of sites more than a lot of spectrum.

    In other locations (L.A. proper, its hit or miss for service... +150Mbps or <5Mbps.
    I suspect that a LOT of LA proper (may be other locations as well) lack backhaul and/or MIMO capabilities.
    Many pole mounted sites (non directional omni) have range of only a few blocks, and speeds that never get past ~140Mbps with B2+B4 CA (10x10 + 20x20), while fully backhauled sites can get 160Mbps on B4 20x20 alone.
    Eg. In LA I've passed areas with the small omni (track of condo/MDU's) and struggle to get usable service.
    I suspect that T-Mobile must have their plans of how to redeploy Sprint for use in these places.. and this too will do wonders.
    Rural areas.... going to need to keep at least 10x10, as there's no CA between B12 and B71.
    B12 is only 5X5 MHz and it's not nationwide. If that's all T-Mobile has in an area like mine I would never consider them since at&t has a ton of 700 MHz and also has 10X10 MHz band 5 and Verizon has 10X10 band 13 and 10X10 band 5. T-Mobile has 15X15 of band 71 here and Dish has 5X5 MHz the other 15X15 MHz went unsold. So even with Dish's spectrum the most T-Mobile will have here is 20X20. If they used that for 4G they'd be so far ahead of Verizon here on lowband. It'll be years before a majority has 5G phones

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles/Canada
    Posts
    11,765
    Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    B12 is only 5X5 MHz and it's not nationwide. If that's all T-Mobile has in an area like mine I would never consider them since at&t has a ton of 700 MHz and also has 10X10 MHz band 5 and Verizon has 10X10 band 13 and 10X10 band 5. T-Mobile has 15X15 of band 71 here and Dish has 5X5 MHz the other 15X15 MHz went unsold. So even with Dish's spectrum the most T-Mobile will have here is 20X20. If they used that for 4G they'd be so far ahead of Verizon here on lowband. It'll be years before a majority has 5G phones
    This goes back to my statement of 'T-Mobile is more of an urban/suburban carrier'. 5Mhz of B12 in some areas isn't great, especially where its needed. Similarly, 10MHz of B71 isn't a ton either, but is at least 2x as usable... where its available. AT&T / VZW also have typically cell A and B (850MHz), which also was a reason for MANY initial builds +20 years ago. PCS wasn't.. AWS didn't exist. I do agree that it will be at least a couple years before many get on the 5G bandwagon, as many aren't going to pony up for that expensive device, many still owe on their current, and there's little benefit - also - no iPhone 5G yet.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    234
    Device(s)
    IPHONE 11
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    The free lease Dish was giving them is about to run out and they haven't renewed it yet. They did just sign a 3 year lease with CH 51 License Corp which will give T-Mobile an additional 5X5 block in the LA market
    I’m sure you will complain it won’t be enough.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    234
    Device(s)
    IPHONE 11
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    B12 is only 5X5 MHz and it's not nationwide. If that's all T-Mobile has in an area like mine I would never consider them since at&t has a ton of 700 MHz and also has 10X10 MHz band 5 and Verizon has 10X10 band 13 and 10X10 band 5. T-Mobile has 15X15 of band 71 here and Dish has 5X5 MHz the other 15X15 MHz went unsold. So even with Dish's spectrum the most T-Mobile will have here is 20X20. If they used that for 4G they'd be so far ahead of Verizon here on lowband. It'll be years before a majority has 5G phones
    We all know T-Mobile will never live up to the expectations of your beloved Verizon.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    581
    Carrier(s)
    Att
    Feedback Score
    0
    You must be radical liberal. Whenever someone doesn't agree with your view 100% you attack them and act like they are wrong about everything
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Buttler View Post
    We all know T-Mobile will never live up to the expectations of your beloved Verizon.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    234
    Device(s)
    IPHONE 11
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0

    Anyone else in SoCal lose 5MHz on B71?

    Quote Originally Posted by T-Buttler View Post
    We all know T-Mobile will never live up to the expectations of your beloved Verizon.
    You guys run Shilocane out of here and now you are doing the same with me. But I will not go down easy.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles/Canada
    Posts
    11,765
    Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Now that LA has the official layer cake... It shouldn't need more

    Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    254
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Buttler View Post
    You guys run Shilocane out of here and now you are doing the same with me. But I will not go down easy.
    What happened to shilocane? Did he/she leave?


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-11-2003, 01:10 PM
  2. anyone else in the nj/nyc market having trouble tonight
    By nixem311 in forum General Nextel Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-05-2003, 12:26 AM
  3. Anyone else in New York City have no GPRS??
    By jeffharris in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-28-2003, 07:40 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-25-2002, 06:55 PM
  5. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-23-2002, 11:44 PM

Bookmarks