Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Does 4G = VoLTE compatible if sold through PagePlus?

Feedback Score

Does 4G = VoLTE compatible if sold through PagePlus?

If a phone for sale on the PP site is listed as 4G/LTE but VoLTE is not specifically mentioned, should I assume it is VoLTE compatible if PP is selling it?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    What phone make/model?? You can go to Phonescoop.com to get more details about any model phone/device. Impossible to answer your question without knowing more about the phone. Hope that helps.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    If it's for sale on the PP site it's VoLTE. Any new phone being sold anywhere now is VoLTE. Just need to be sure it's got the Vzw bands for PP. Keep in mind you might be able to find the same phone cheaper through another TF company. Any TF/Vzw company phone will activate on PP with the sim that comes in it. I just pick my phones up at BestBuy or other local store. Same with TF/Vzw BYOP sims in my unlocked unbranded phones. All on PP.
    As Serial asked, which one you looking at buying?

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If OP wants to know, VoLTE and LTE are two different things.

If you are looking at a new phone on any of the Verizon based Tracfone brands, more then likely it has VoLTE tho. Just make sure it is a model that was made soon enough to support VoLTE tho. I know I have seen new phones on eBay and Amazon that might not support VoLTE.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    What phone make/model?? You can go to Phonescoop.com to get more details about any model phone/device.
    Published phone specifications almost never mention VoLTE. It was not until actual VoLTE activations started happening in 2018 on the Tracfone companies that unofficial lists started being put together. It was so badly handled that the CSRs denied the existence of VoLTE for a good while. Many phones made before the roll out of VoLTE were capable without the owners knowing it. These would not just turn it on, but had to be reactivated with a new SIM. It was a mess!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by valhynson View Post
    If a phone for sale on the PP site is listed as 4G/LTE but VoLTE is not specifically mentioned, should I assume it is VoLTE compatible if PP is selling it?
    Yes, any phones being sold by the Tracfone companies have been VoLTE capable for the last couple of years.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The name VOLTE is an acronym for Voice over Long Term Evolution (LTE). I agree that all new phones sold in the US have VOLTE. The issue is with some older phones more than a couple years old that they only supported LTE for data. I asked for the phone model # to be certain that the phone has VOLTE. Yes, 4G = VOLTE.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    All devices being sold as new currently from reputable retailers, whether OEMs or MVNOs or your local authorized or corporate dealer for the big four carriers or similar (or SAME models sold as used or refurbed by aftermarket sources such as eBay, etc., or SAME refurbed models from companies like TracFone) should be assumed to be VoLTE capable.

Some companies or sellers of used or refurbed devices on eBay or other aftermarket outlets that offer any old model of phone you're not familiar with and claim it to be 4G LTE capable MAY OR MAY NOT BE VoLTE capable. The two terms are not synonymous. You have to be familiar with certain basic aspects of the device in question, like its model number, when it was produced, who offered it, etc.

A lot of us here have a fairly informed idea about these things because we discuss or at least read about them here on a frequent basis, in some cases over a period of years.

There may come a day when we've (and the market has) distanced ourselves from the gap in time where there were 4G LTE devices that didn't support VoLTE, but we haven't reached that point yet. There are sellers out there (NOT front line sources of new goods) who have stuff to sell, and they themselves don't even know what goes on inside them other than the shiny claims on the box or the word on the street from Bubba.

I've got a first gen Moto E from 2015 or so, with Cricket branding, that I bought at Walmart to unlock (with an eBay purchased unlock code) and use on T-Mobile. Due to the capability of the phone it can utilize the HSPA+ bands and services of T-Mobile. That was, at one time, lauded as being 4G (speed wise), but certainly NOT LTE, and more certainly NOT supporting VoLTE.

So I have to respectfully disagree with Serial Port's final assertion (as expressed) that 4G = VoLTE. That is true only IF you are already looking at a more narrow range of devices that exclude the random seller of devices that came from before a certain year or certain other international markets.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    LTE by itself is data only, VOLTE integrates data and voice over the same network/technology. That's the bottom line.

LTE by itself wasn't true 4G IMHO and was merely marketing hype. I stand by my assertion that 4G = VOLTE. If it isn't, please enlighten the rest of us about the difference. Many countries worldwide have been using true 4G for years before it was used in the US.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    The difference is precisely what you've stated: Marketing hype. You're giving advice based on a sort of purist view of what the industry description of the fully realized 4G standard is, when the standard is not yet fully in place here. Different carriers are at varying stages of deployment, and devices of varying capabilities are still in the pipeline.

And so the purveyors of the products use the terminology 4G (for example) but it is only implemented piecemeal over the course of time. Thus forcing the consumer to be wary and take steps to become more informed about what they're buying or interacting with, if they're searching for particular features or performance.

The general consumer is not aware of what the fully realized 4G standard is comprised of, yet the terminology "4G" is nevertheless used by the industry in this period of transition. The consumer is left to make sense of things on their own, through wonderful means like discussion forums.

The same thing is happening with the introduction of 5G. AT&T's "5Ge" nonsense, for example.

Device(s)
    Moto Z4 (Vzw), Moto Z Play (PP)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    This thread seems as good a place to ask this, as any.

I know that on Verizon, Verizon needs to first activate the VoLTE feature on you account, and then the VoLTE option will added to your phone's setup menu. You can then select it, and start using VoLTE instead of CMDA for calls.

I am going to guess that it works the same way on PPC. Though, my question is, as we get closer to the CMDA cut off date, will PPC add the feature to all 4G accounts automatically? Yea, I know I could call PPC and ask, but my past experience is that the person I speak with, will not have any clue what VoLTE is, nor how to activate it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltA View Post
    This thread seems as good a place to ask this, as any.

I know that on Verizon, Verizon needs to first activate the VoLTE feature on you account, and then the VoLTE option will added to your phone's setup menu. You can then select it, and start using VoLTE instead of CMDA for calls.

I am going to guess that it works the same way on PPC. Though, my question is, as we get closer to the CMDA cut off date, will PPC add the feature to all 4G accounts automatically? Yea, I know I could call PPC and ask, but my past experience is that the person I speak with, will not have any clue what VoLTE is, nor how to activate it.
    Don't mark my word but I think PP pushed out a re provisioning of sims some months back when all phones activated or sold had to be VoLTE. Activations are VoLTE from the get go now, no special extra step by the carrier. Now if your sim is old (how old I don't know) the provisioning may not work.
    And keep in mind no matter what a carrier does, not all 4G phones can support VoLTE even if the sim does.
    If you have a PP account and a capable phone it should be active now. Sometimes you need to go into a hidden menu on the phone to turn it on. What are you using?

Device(s)
    Moto Z4 (Vzw), Moto Z Play (PP)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Sometimes you need to go into a hidden menu on the phone to turn it on. What are you using?
    The VoLTE feature needs to be active, for the hidden menu item to be presented. At least for VZW that is the way it works.

I got my 4G SIM back when PPC first started to allow 4G for the card pre-paid service. My phone was (is) 4G but running as 3G until then.

Feedback Score
    The VoLTE feature needs to be active, for the hidden menu item to be presented. At least for VZW that is the way it works.

I got my 4G SIM back when PPC first started to allow 4G for the card pre-paid service. My phone was (is) 4G but running as 3G until then.
    What phone are you using??? This is key.

VoLTE has nothing to do with the hidden menu I'm referring to.

Also sounds like your sim is pretty darn old. May need a new one.

Feedback Score
    Not sure when it happened with PPC, but VoLTE provisioning started in mid-2018 with Tracfone. This could only happen with activations, and was not done retroactively on existing phones even if they were capable, It took some tricks to get an existing phone VoLTE provisioned. Basically a reactivation, and sometimes needing a new SIM card.

I do know one instance where an in-service BYOP phone on PPC somehow got VoLTE provisioned without the owner taking any action. It had been originally activated a good while before VoLTE was available. Another indication is the phone will now have HD Voice and Visual Voicemail.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast