Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Moto G6 issues

Feedback Score

Moto G6 issues

I have a Moto G6 and having charging issues with it. It does not want to make connection to charge. If I play with it, it will start charging but only charge slowly instead of rapidly like it normally did. I have tried different cords, different ports, outlets with same results.

Just recently, I was trying to connect it to a laptop to transfer some pics. Had a really hard time getting it to connect, then all of a sudden, screen went black and couldn't get it to do anything. Thought it actually was done for. But a little while later, it came on and working but still having trouble getting it to charge.

This has usb-c connection, is this a common issue for this type of connector? This phone is not much older than 1 year so it's not that old.

Been thinking about upgrading to something with better battery life and maybe even wireless charging. But after some research, looks like I would have to spend $400+. Really can't justify spending that much on a phone, yes I need a phone but I am not using the phone all day everyday. Just really want something that is reliable and good battery life.

Not sure I want to get another Moto brand after my experience with my current Moto unless this was just a fluke. I want to stay with tracfone service, looking at buying a non tracfone phone and buying a sim card for it so I can still use tracfone service. Just not sure where to begin on what phone to get.

Feedback Score
    Did you use the same cable when the charge issue and laptop connection issue?

If so, maybe a bad cable?

Feedback Score
    Agree, having connection problems with both charge and data sounds like a cable. Hopefully it is not the USB-C port on the phone.

Feedback Score
    Motos are OK, usb C is OK.

My general feeling is that the G6 series is not OK. It could be that Moto just lost its way with this one. Or that the Pie update made a mess. I have a G6 Play and I find the phone/update to be a mess. There is no reason that this device should perform badly, but it does. I haven't had any hardware failures. Just choppy scrolling that is really maddening.

I also have a G7. It performs well. I can tell that the Pie on this one is not exactly the same as the Pie on the G6. The G6 seems to be a problematic hybrid of Oreo and Pie. Maybe that's the problem, or shoddy soldering or something.

All you can do is reboot or factory reset and see what happens. It didn't improve my G6 Play, though.

There seems to be talk in the tech community that Moto is aware of the G6 issues, and that's why they pushed out the G7.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Sounds like it could be a port or cable issues. It is hard to know without doing more tests.

I know the USB-C port does not have lots of the issue like microUSB had over time, but it has a few other issue, but nothing like what you are seeing tho.

Feedback Score
    Pretty sure the issue is with the port on the phone. While charging, tried different cables, different usb ports, different outlets and still same thing. On the cable, how much of the plug should be showing while it is plugged in on the phone end?

Phone is working now, except for charging part but don't trust this phone anymore. Not sure if I am better off getting an unlocked phone and use tracfone service or just get another tracfone phone. If I get an unlocked phone, how do I know if it will work with tracfone? Do I contact tracfone and tell them what phone I want to get?

Feedback Score
    Was looking at the Moto g7 Optimo Maxx and the Moto g7 power. Any negatives on these phones? Which one would be the better choice?

Feedback Score
    I have a G6 and have had no problems with it at all. If you are otherwise satisfied with the phone, other than the charging issue, I suggest you buy a new one from eBay here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tracfone-Mo...f5396f841d2dd2

For $70 you get a years service and 1500 buckets, and a new G6.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Check for pocket fuzz built up in the port. It can prevent the cable from plugging in all the way.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Weathered View Post
    Was looking at the Moto g7 Optimo Maxx and the Moto g7 power. Any negatives on these phones? Which one would be the better choice?
    The Moto G7 Optimo Maxx and Moto G7 Power is the same phone. I have not ran into any issues big issue with the Moto G7 Optimo Maxx that I have. It has a great battery life tho.

Feedback Score
    Moto G7 Power (XT1955-5): 3/32, 720x1570 pixels, 5000 mAh

Moto G7 (XT1962-1): 4/64, 1080x2270 pixels, 3000 mAh

Moto G7 Play (XT1952-3): 2/32, 720x1512 pixels, 3000 mAh

Specs from phonemore.com

Optimo = Play
    Optimo Maxx = Power

I personally have a G7 purchased pre-owned from eBay, no issues. I wanted the better specs plus factory unlocked.

Models made for U.S.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry430 View Post
    I have a G6 and have had no problems with it at all. If you are otherwise satisfied with the phone, other than the charging issue, I suggest you buy a new one from eBay here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tracfone-Mo...f5396f841d2dd2

For $70 you get a years service and 1500 buckets, and a new G6.
    This is how I bought this phone, either from QVC or HSN. I don't see how they sell phones like this for so cheap. I mean typically when you buy a one year service card alone, it is around $100.

Been having other issues, the glass back is cracked pretty bad. Ever since last update, wifi seems to be acting up, doesn't always want to connect to a saved wifi network, have to manually connect. Battery life seems to act kind of strange, guess it could be normal since this is my first smartphone. Sometimes the battery will drain really fast and other times, it will last a long time. When it drains fast, nothing is open and don't see it doing anything unless it does stuff in the background.
    Last edited by Weathered; 06-28-2020 at 11:15 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by arny56 View Post
    Check for pocket fuzz built up in the port. It can prevent the cable from plugging in all the way.
    I have blew out both the cable and phone port with no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    The Moto G7 Optimo Maxx and Moto G7 Power is the same phone. I have not ran into any issues big issue with the Moto G7 Optimo Maxx that I have. It has a great battery life tho.
    I thought they were different phones since they are different price, about $70 difference, optimo being the cheaper one. Is the optimo maxx cheaper because it is locked to tracfone? Since they are the same phone, any advantages to buying an unlocked phone vs a phone locked to a carrier?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Weathered View Post
    I thought they were different phones since they are different price, about $70 difference, optimo being the cheaper one. Is the optimo maxx cheaper because it is locked to tracfone? Since they are the same phone, any advantages to buying an unlocked phone vs a phone locked to a carrier?
    Just ask yourself if you want to be locked to a carrier for a certain length of time, with rules about getting unlocked.

Travelers might want a phone that can take a foreign SIM.

It might be easier to sell an unlocked phone, more appealing.

Unlocked might get better updates, don't know.

Feedback Score
    Also plan on getting a decent case and screen protector as well, one that will actually protect it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast