Thread: Straight Talk Moto G Power - Will Wi-Fi calling work?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Straight Talk Moto G Power - Will Wi-Fi calling work?

Moto G Power on VZW is $249 right now but it's $179 on Straight Talk. Anyone know if the VZW wifi calling will work if I get the ST phone?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamCatcher68 View Post
    Moto G Power on VZW is $249 right now but it's $179 on Straight Talk. Anyone know if the VZW wifi calling will work if I get the ST phone?
    Were you planning to use it on ST or VZW directly?

You won't be able to activate it on VZW direct and ST/vzw doesn't support Wifi calling if I recall correctly.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Were you planning to use it on ST or VZW directly?

You won't be able to activate it on VZW direct and ST/vzw doesn't support Wifi calling if I recall correctly.
    Planning to use it on VZW directly. Postpaid plan, not prepaid.

Why wouldn't it work on VZW directly?

VZW wireless does support wifi calling, I use it on my current phone all the time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamCatcher68 View Post
    Planning to use it on VZW directly. Postpaid plan, not prepaid.

Why wouldn't it work on VZW directly?

VZW wireless does support wifi calling, I use it on my current phone all the time.
    Won't work on VZW directly because it's locked to ST (or any other TF company). You'd need to use it on a TF company for a year to unlock it, but even then may not work on VZW direct if the model isn't on their BYOP whitelist. Keep in mind not all MOTO G Powers are the same. Applies to any phone; same name but different model numbers.

Yes VZW direct supports wifi calling. But you're probably using a VZW branded phone or a VZW approved BYOP. But most Vzw MVNOs like ST don't support what you get direct from VZW. If MVNOs supported the features you get with VZW direct, everyone would go to an MVNO for half the cost, but then VZW would be out of business anyway.

That's why VZW can charge allot more for phones you buy and use with them. Captive audience. A person could go the direction of buying an unlocked phone and use it on an MVNO as a BYOP, but you still wouldn't have wifi calling on most MVNOs.

You should be able to find a refurb unlocked phone of a model approved by VZW and use it and get wifi calling.
    Last edited by rpz1; 06-27-2020 at 02:20 PM.

Device(s)
    Note 8, LG Xpression 2
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity, Tracphone
    Feedback Score
    I was trying to use a unlocked g7 power on Xfinity. When I first turned it on it let me set up WiFi calling. Then when I turned it off and back on it blocked it. I would recommend getting a Verizon version if you can.

Sent from my XT1609 using HoFo mobile app