Thread: $400 Deposit Required When Moving Over 5 Lines

Feedback Score

Exclamation $400 Deposit Required When Moving Over 5 Lines

Good morning!

I don't usually post here but yesterday, I was trying to move over our family group from Bell to Telus. Keep in mind I have had a family plan for a while, and used to be with Rogers before. I wouldn't say I was never late in my payments, but as far as I can remember (5+ years at least) I never missed a payment.

When I ordered the lines online (5 "Bring your own devices" lines on the peace of mind plan), I got an email a couple hours later telling me 2 of the 5 lines are gonna need a $200 deposit to "Protect me from fraud".

That deposit would get refunded to me after 12 months. I cancelled my order, I never got asked before and I'm not gonna lose $400 for 12 months, that doesn't make sense...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by farchord View Post
    Good morning!

I don't usually post here but yesterday, I was trying to move over our family group from Bell to Telus. Keep in mind I have had a family plan for a while, and used to be with Rogers before. I wouldn't say I was never late in my payments, but as far as I can remember (5+ years at least) I never missed a payment.

When I ordered the lines online (5 "Bring your own devices" lines on the peace of mind plan), I got an email a couple hours later telling me 2 of the 5 lines are gonna need a $200 deposit to "Protect me from fraud".

That deposit would get refunded to me after 12 months. I cancelled my order, I never got asked before and I'm not gonna lose $400 for 12 months, that doesn't make sense...
    Did you review your credit score lately?
    Disclaimer: All my posts, replies, comments and/or opinions expressed on www.howardforums.com are my own contribution only. The views expressed on this page do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of Fido, its management or employees.
    Fritz Z24...

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz Z24 View Post
    Did you review your credit score lately?
    Agreed !! A deposit requirement that large is likely due to a credit issue.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Good morning!

Checking your credit score is always something which is beneficial to you, the consumer. As for the comment about a "large" deposit, this is completely inaccurate! $200 per line is the minimum deposit required under most circumstances with Telus & Bell. The problem here is 5 lines have been requested under BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) and this has been done through the Internet. Usually, there is more success when getting devices because you are providing a credit card which is actually being authorized and not simply being used as a tool to "check credit". Unfortunately, when you activate 5 lines or more, online and with no devices, the system will "flag" as potential fraud because nowadays, people who wish to commit fraud will activate the SIM cards and then sell them "as is" for International calling.

I saw it many of times where this would occur and the company has no recourse and in some cases, are out tens of thousands of dollars by the time the lines are shut down for non-payment.

Best bet is to visit a Telus store and when in person, at a dealer location, they can validate using other methods, cite ID and in most cases, place a quick phone call to their Channel Care to override.

Best of luck!

Device(s)
    iPhone X & Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Not sure what you are getting upset about, you are bringing over 5 lines....thats a huge risk for carrier if there is any potential for fraud especially done online as others have said.
    You are part of the smaller % of customers who have more than couple of lines on a account.

Anything above 3 lines generally @ Telus, within short period of time, they do require deposit from my experience.
    Join me on Telegram https://t.me/Samshares

Telus: $67/20GB Can-US Plan
    Freedom: $30/8GB Can-US (2400 Minutes/1GB)

Feedback Score
    ... That deposit would get refunded to me after 12 months. I cancelled my order, I never got asked before and I'm not gonna lose $400 for 12 months, that doesn't make sense...
    By the way, this isn’t a lost, but a deposit. Yes you don’t have access to this amount of money but this will be given back to you anyways... Like I previously replied to you, did you reviewed your credit score? Because that might explain why Telus ask you for these heavy security deposits...

Feedback Score
    As stated, when dealing with more than 3 lines on a personal account, it raises concerns. Most family plans have more than 3 lines but in reality, the telecom companies look at 5+ lines being under a business account. You can still have 5+ lines on a personal account but extra "security" measures are taken.

If this individual were to go into a corporate Telus store to complete a personal activation for 5 lines, there would be additional checks on ID along with a call placed to the Telus National Channel Care division who would confirm specifics. These specifics are a validation process which one cannot complete when activating over the Internet.

As mentioned, the deposit is fully refundable (with interest) as long as the account remains in good standing (on time payments) for 12 consecutive months. It's not lost and a small amount in my opinion given you're a new customer wishing to activate "online" under a BYOD policy with 5 lines.

Like mentioned, in-person, in-store should be no problem but put yourself in the shoes of Telus... They wish to take limited risk and myself, I would not consider pushing an activation like this through as it could mean my job at days end should it turn out to be fraud.

Feedback Score
    So it's not a credit score issue, I checked and everything is normal. I have a monitoring service for both credit agencies (I have a Desjardins Bank account and another credit card that had a data breach...).

As far as the risk involved for 5 lines, that, I didn't know... frankly, even reps I was talking about at Telus were telling me it was for fraud purposes but even them didn't really understand it which got me frustrated...

But alright, I understand a bit more now. I was thinking about getting it anyway, it's just that I also have to pay about $400 for breaking a contract if I switched so that really bumped up the cost. But oh well; the contract ends soon so ill just wait.

Thanks guys