Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How do I get a Firmware update on my WHPI IFWA-40?

Feedback Score
    I am using Default APN which is nxtgenphone

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelk View Post
    I am using Default APN which is nxtgenphone
    Ok thanks. I think I'll do the factory reset thing and see if mine will update then.

Feedback Score
    Factory reset didn't work for me. I ended up getting a used unit from Ebay that was already upgraded to .23. It's working just fine and it's nice that the caller id time is finally correct. I think the reason my unit wouldn't update is because the last time I upgraded from a MF-279 the AT&T store gave me a regular cell phone SIM card instead of the purple one that these wireless home phone and internet boxes normally use. The purple SIM "marries" the box it's activated in and won't work with anything else (you'll get an invalid sim error). With the cell phone sim I just swapped it from the old IFWA-40 to the new one and it worked just fine.

I had thought about getting a purple sim for my unit from AT&T to see if it would update then, but I'm on the grandfathered 250GB rural plan and didn't want to take a chance of someone screwing up my account and losing the plan while updating the sim card.

I've only been using it a few hours, but so far no disconnects or any other problems.

Feedback Score
    I was not aware of the purple SIM cards. When I went from the ZTE-700A to my first IFWA-40 the local AT&T store gave me a regular SIM card.

Two units I had DID update to 1.23 with that "regular SIM" installed.

Wanting to have a back-up, I got another IFWA-40 from EB. When I try to use it my control panel indicates "No SIM card inserted" or something to that effect, using the SIM card that works (except for random no internet issue) in my other unit.

Do you think there is a chance that it may have been "married to a purple SIM" and therefore won't work with a regular SIM?

I am also on the grandfathered 250GB rural plan.

Feedback Score
    I thought I had a purple one still, but if I do I can't find it. Anyhow, they look like the one in the picture, but the blue tab at the front of the SIM card is purple instead of blue. My first WHPI box (Z700A) came with one and activated and worked just fine. I ordered a used MF-279 on Ebay a year or so later as an upgrade and took it to the AT&T store because the Z700A used a (purple) micro sim and the MF-279 was a nano. They gave me a new (purple tab) SIM card and activated it. Took it home and found out that the MF-279 I got was bad, it wouldn't save any changes I made from factory default. Other than that it worked. I contacted the seller and he sent a replacement. Took the SIM card out and put it in the replacement MF-279 and got an invalid SIM card error. Put it back in the other unit and it worked.

So I had to make another trip to the AT&T store. They replaced the SIM card, this time with a blue one and it worked fine. One of the other sales guys came out with a purple SIM card and said he's supposed to have one of these SIM cards in the unit, not the blue one. I said it's working and told them if I had any problems I'd bring it back.

After I got home I tried it in the Z700A with an nano to micro SIM adapter and it worked. It's also worked in both of the IFWA-40 units I bought. I thought that maybe since it didn't have the purple SIM card that's why it wouldn't update. That doesn't match your experience though, so I don't know now. All I know is the new one (.23) is working and I can put the sim card back in the old one (.16) and it works too (with the same software bugs it contains of course).

The unit doesn't get married to a SIM card, the purple SIM card gets married to the unit....at least as far as I can tell. So if you have a blue SIM card it should work in either one from my experience.

Name:  1150ea81ca0242ac110003.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  41.7 KB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2