Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do I get a Firmware update on my WHPI IFWA-40?

Feedback Score

How do I get a Firmware update on my WHPI IFWA-40?

My IFWA-40 looses internet connection several times a day. To restore internet connection, I have to power off and then power on the unit.

It currently has firmware version: ATT_1.0.1.23

Is there a software/firmware update that might help with this issue.

How do I download it? On my prior base unit, ZTE-700A I could check for updates on the online control panel, but I have not found a way to do it with this unit.

Thanks, Joel

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelk View Post
    My IFWA-40 looses internet connection several times a day. To restore internet connection, I have to power off and then power on the unit.

How do I download it? On my prior base unit, ZTE-700A I could check for updates on the online control panel, but I have not found a way to do it with this unit.

Thanks, Joel
    Hi off topic. But I’m looking for a device for my Mobley SIM. Is this device any good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by macher52 View Post
    Hi off topic. But I’m looking for a device for my Mobley SIM. Is this device any good?

I need this(or a similar unit) to provide a phone line, but that would not be a factor with a Mobley SIM.

I think there are MANY better hotspot options for a Mobley SIM.

Feedback Score
    I need this(or a similar unit) to provide a phone line, but that would not be a factor with a Mobley SIM.

I think there are MANY better hotspot options for a Mobley SIM.
    Ok thanks. I assume the Nigthawk is the best option. Looking for a cheaper alternative to the Nighthawk. Currently using a velocity.

Feedback Score

Thanks, Joel
    According to Netcomm (Casa Systems) that is the latest version. How did you get it, was it already installed on the unit when you bought it? Previous versions had a bug that sent the wrong date/time in the caller ID signal. I've been trying to get my older unit updated for quite awhile. Almost impossible with AT&T though. My understanding is that AT&T has to send firmware updates out OTA (over the air) to the IFWA-40's. To my knowledge they've yet to do that though. As you've discovered there's no way to download it and install it yourself.

My older unit doesn't have problems with disconnects, so maybe the caller ID date/time issue is the lesser of the two evils?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilt48658 View Post
    According to Netcomm (Casa Systems) that is the latest version. How did you get it, was it already installed on the unit when you bought it? Previous versions had a bug that sent the wrong date/time in the caller ID signal. I've been trying to get my older unit updated for quite awhile. Almost impossible with AT&T though. My understanding is that AT&T has to send firmware updates out OTA (over the air) to the IFWA-40's. To my knowledge they've yet to do that though. As you've discovered there's no way to download it and install it yourself.

My older unit doesn't have problems with disconnects, so maybe the caller ID date/time issue is the lesser of the two evils?
    THANKS for the reply!!

.23 Firmware was on the unit when I bought it.

Almost impossible with AT&T is a true statement.

Each time I "spoke with" rep I was told that I was unable to download on my own and would need to call/chat to get update.

I have had 4 chats and 2 phone calls with AT&T regarding the issue. 4 long chats resulted in reps promising emphatically that they would have update sent to me within hours, although none could(or would) tell me what version the update would be. They said that I would get a message on the online control panel when update was sent. I never got any upgrades or system messages.

On 7/6 phone call I was told that there was an upgrade on 7/2, but rep could(or would) not tell me what the current version is, what version the update is, or when it would be sent out.

On 7/7 phone call, after some searching, the rep told me that .23 is the most up to date version. After several hours of chats/phone calls, they said that they were sending me a replacement unit under warranty. It is on the way. I just hope it performs(stays connected to internet), better than the current unit.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, AT&T support for this box is non-existent. I'd tried calling tech support as well as the AT&T support forums. Got nowhere with either. Mine has .16 and it sends the wrong time on the caller id signal so my cordless phones always display the wrong date/time. Another annoying issue it had was the call logs showed all the calls in seconds only, rather than hrs, mins, seconds. Did they fix that in .23?

I hope a replacement unit corrects your dropped connection issue. I think my unit is still under warranty so I could probably get a replacement that has .23 firmware, but before I do that I think I'll wait until I hear back from you on the connection problem. I don't have any connection issues with mine.

Feedback Score
    THANKS for the reply!!

.23 Firmware was on the unit when I bought it.

Almost impossible with AT&T is a true statement.

Each time I "spoke with" rep I was told that I was unable to download on my own and would need to call/chat to get update.

I have had 4 chats and 2 phone calls with AT&T regarding the issue. 4 long chats resulted in reps promising emphatically that they would have update sent to me within hours, although none could(or would) tell me what version the update would be. They said that I would get a message on the online control panel when update was sent. I never got any upgrades or system messages.

On 7/6 phone call I was told that there was an upgrade on 7/2, but rep could(or would) not tell me what the current version is, what version the update is, or when it would be sent out.

On 7/7 phone call, after some searching, the rep told me that .23 is the most up to date version. After several hours of chats/phone calls, they said that they were sending me a replacement unit under warranty. It is on the way. I just hope it performs(stays connected to internet), better than the current unit.
    Did you ever get a replacement unit? If so, is it working better? .23 firmware?

Feedback Score
    Long story and I won't get into all of it now.

I got a replacement unit from AT&T on 7/11/20. Bare unit, no battery, no battery cover and no power adapter. Had to reuse those.

Came with 1.16 Firmware. Within about a day, it updated to 1.23.

On 7/20/20 I got a different unit from EB. It came with 1.4 Firmware and updated to 1.6 within about a day, but it has NOT yet updated to 1.23.

Still having issues when using that EB unit, but I'm not sure the unit is "at fault". There are times when I will not have internet, but with this unit, it restores, on it's own, without me having to PO/PO like I did on the other units.

I can, "speed up the process" by doing a PO/PO, but with the other units, it would never, "restore on it's own" even after a period of many hours.

Feedback Score
    Long story and I won't get into all of it now.

I got a replacement unit from AT&T on 7/11/20. Bare unit, no battery, no battery cover and no power adapter. Had to reuse those.

Came with 1.16 Firmware. Within about a day, it updated to 1.23.

On 7/20/20 I got a different unit from EB. It came with 1.4 Firmware and updated to 1.6 within about a day, but it has NOT yet updated to 1.23.

Still having issues when using that EB unit, but I'm not sure the unit is "at fault". There are times when I will not have internet, but with this unit, it restores, on it's own, without me having to PO/PO like I did on the other units.

I can, "speed up the process" by doing a PO/PO, but with the other units, it would never, "restore on it's own" even after a period of many hours.
    Interesting, thanks for the update. Mine has never updated from 1.16 I'll probably just leave it alone since it seems to work fine except for the date/time in the caller ID bug.

Feedback Score
    The unit that I got on 7/20/20, updated from 1.16 to 1.23 overnight, last night.

I did a restart (paperclip in hole on the back) before going to bed last night, so I am thinking that MAY have triggered the firmware update.
    Last edited by Joelk; 07-30-2020 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Add info

Feedback Score
    The unit that I got on 7/20/20, updated from 1.16 to 1.23 overnight, last night.

I did a restart (paperclip in hole on the back) before going to bed last night, so I am thinking that MAY have triggered the firmware update.
    Thanks. Maybe I'll give that a try and see if mine updates or not.

If you look at your call log, did they fix it so that it shows call duration in hrs, mins, and seconds instead of just seconds?

Feedback Score
    The unit that I got on 7/11, and the one I got on 7/20, both went from displaying Seconds only, to Minutes & Seconds when they updated from 1.16 to 1.23 Firmware.

Feedback Score
    The unit that I got on 7/11, and the one I got on 7/20, both went from displaying Seconds only, to Minutes & Seconds when they updated from 1.16 to 1.23 Firmware.

Ok great, thank you.

Feedback Score
    One more quick question for you. What is the default APN setting under the System -> Mobile Network setting? And is that what you use?

The default APN for .16 is wlldata which did not work for me, it would not connect. I had to use custom APN and then set it to broadband. It would not allow me to use nxtgenphone which is what my previous box (ZTE MF-279) used.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast