Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Account number

Feedback Score
    I've been trying every day, different times and I still can't through. I understand the Covid difficulties but they should have some way to retrieve account #. Or at least the option to "remain on the line". Even Unemployment had this when I called. I didn't realize that Att prepaid does not support wifi calling (my phone does) and I have sporadic service at my home without it. So I need to switch to a Verizon based system and want to port my number.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by webbsark View Post
    I didn't realize that Att prepaid does not support wifi calling (my phone does) and I have sporadic service at my home without it
    My iPhones used with the 2GB and the 8GB plan have both wifi calling enabled.

Sorry to hear about your difficulty obtaining your Account number. As it has been discussed plenty in this thread, at&t has decided, for whatever reason, to make it really more difficult to obtain it than it should be.

Device(s)
    Motorola MOTO X4, Iphone 6S On VZW (Wife's)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Just throwing out a few suggestions you can try that might work. Did you try using the "Contact Link" on their website? Sometimes that can get you an answer. Also some companies will respond to messages on social media sites like Facebook or Twitter. Try contacting them through those platforms.

https://twitter.com/atthelp

https://www.facebook.com/ATT

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5+, Any and all Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    And yet I had worked for At&t CS for almost 9 years and I do have a little more perspective on the process. While working for At&t it was no different between postpaid or prepaid. There is no conjecture on my part. I am sorry the OP had so much difficulty but OLAM only has limited options. Some inquiries require verification with a live rep. There are no ways around it. Even if you ask for a manager, the same security requirements will be enforced.

BTW: How T-Mobile, Sprint or Verizon (or any other company) verifies the account or displays account information online has nothing to do with how At&t does.

Sorry, but you are tilting at windmills.

We can disagree on this if you choose, but it won't change anything.

I respect your perspective. My point about "conjecture" was just because you worked at AT&T, it doesn't mean you were necessarily privy to the reasons their policies were what they were, just what they *told* you the reasons were.

The only reason I pointed out that T-Mobile's OLAM displayed account numbers was because you defended (or at least explained) AT&T's policy with the statement "the cell companies" (plural) "take security seriously". While I'm sure they do, that statement (in the context of this discussion, at least) seemed to imply that displaying one's account in an OLAM is somehow "insecure", so all "the cell companies" shouldn't or wouldn't display account numbers in their respective OLAMs.

So, if T-Mo and other carriers do display account numbers, that either means they don't "take security seriously" (or at least as seriously as AT&T does,) or that displaying account numbers isn't, in fact, insecure. And if it's the latter, then "security" isn't a good reason to hide the account number from displaying in the OLAM.

But I do agree with the rest of what you are saying- that the AT&T OLAM has limited options, that there's certainly no way any of us can change AT&T's policies, and I don't necessarily disagree that "security" is probably the official company line on the reason for that policy. And I definitely agree I'm tilting at windmills. I don't expect anything I say or do to get AT&T to change their policies or their OLAMs! (Though in this case I don't have a dog in this fight- I'm not an AT&T customer trying to port out.)

Color me skeptical, or even a conspiracy theorist if you wish, but I tend not to take everything a corporation tells me at face value.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I remember years ago that whenever I’d try to call ATT (landline) to cancel my home phone service I’d be put on hold for hours.

Eventually I’d just hang up. I always figured that was their intent all along!

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    OP here, I still haven't been able to get through. I started going through Facebook and Twitter but they keep giving me the phone number that nobody answers (and another that is not valid). I have never seen something as frustrating as this and I'm a very patient person

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Have you tried 1-800-331-0500 ? Although it is the primary postpaid phone #, it should route your call to prepaid once you enter your phone #.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    800 901 9878 AT&T prepaid customer service line

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    When I was on AT&T prepaid with a GoPhone, couldn't find an email help line, had to do my customer service through the free 611 number. To activate a storebought prepaid AT&T if no previous account, misery. They would shunt me to the automated system without humans. But my prepaid wasn't the monthly plans, it was the per minute prepaid.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Yes. As soon as I enter my phone number it directs me to the other number. I tried not entering number and it disconnects

Feedback Score
    Ithats what I've been calling, according to my phone log 337 times

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    Have you tried 1-800-331-0500 ? Although it is the primary postpaid phone #, it should route your call to prepaid once you enter your phone #.
    . As soon as I enter my phone number it directs me to the other number. I tried not entering number and it disconnects

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by echance20 View Post
    Ithats what I've been calling, according to my phone log 337 times

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by webbsark View Post
    . As soon as I enter my phone number it directs me to the other number. I tried not entering number and it disconnects
    That is how it used to work when I was with At&t several years ago. I thought it might help.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by echance20 View Post
    Just called this number, picked "Technical Support/Other" and got my account #. Total wait time about 5 minutes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast