Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33

Thread: Account number

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    31
    Feedback Score
    0

    Account number

    Ugh, tried calling AT&T for my account number (stupid that they hold it hostage) and they weren't accepting customer service due to high bole. Must have called 20 times. Don't think there's another way to get it, right?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    31
    Feedback Score
    0
    High call volume not bole

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    19,409
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Did you try an online chat session ?? I don't know the CS online hours of operation. Your account number is not being held hostage. It's not like there isn't a national pandemic affecting people nationwide. Unfortunately, regular customer service may be limited for now. You have to be patient and deal with it as best you can.
    Just another day in paradise.....

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    19,409
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by webbsark View Post
    they weren't accepting customer service due to high bole
    What are you referring to ?? I looked up the definition of bole and I still have no idea what you are referring to.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    31
    Feedback Score
    0
    That's my point, it should be available via chat or online so as to not depend on stressed people.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Super Blue NoVA
    Posts
    2,609
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score
    0
    There is absolute no reason for not displaying the account number right in the front page in OLAM.

    Having to call or chat to obtain the account number is wasting CRs' (phone or online) time instead of having them assisting customers with real issues or problems, unless of course the purpose is to make it as difficult as possible to obtain it, in which case they have succeeded.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    19,409
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jairzinho View Post
    There is absolute no reason for not displaying the account number right in the front page in OLAM.
    I must disagree. Not displaying it in OLAM would prevent a non-authorized user from gaining access to the account and fraudulently make changes. Internet security is very important and should not be taken lightly by any large corporation.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Super Blue NoVA
    Posts
    2,609
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    I must disagree. Not displaying it in OLAM would prevent a non-authorized user from gaining access to the account and fraudulently make changes. Internet security is very important and should not be taken lightly by any large corporation.
    I understand the security concern, but if someone has already gained access to your OLAM, what is going to prevent that person from just calling and ask the account number themselves? (they would already have your personal info that is available in OLAM).

    Also, is the account number displayed somewhere online for postpaid accounts (billing statement etc.)? If so, that would defeat the security purpose even more.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    19,409
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jairzinho View Post
    I understand the security concern, but if someone has already gained access to your OLAM, what is going to prevent that person from just calling and ask the account number themselves? (they would already have your personal info that is available in OLAM).
    Customer service will go through additional account verification before providing any information or making account changes. Typically, there will be a password required to access the account.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    512
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jairzinho View Post
    Having to call or chat to ... is wasting CRs' (phone or online) time instead of having them assisting customers with real issues or problems, unless of course the purpose is to make it as difficult as possible to obtain it, in which case they have succeeded.
    Exactly! Do you know how hard it was for me today to get my voicemail password reset?

    1) I tried to do it myself. In my account, went to My Device -> Device Help. You get thrown to another page. Down the list, I clicked on reset voicemail password. I'm taken to yet another page, My AT&T. I log in. I get thrown out and yet another page opens where I have to log back into AT&T Prepaid. At the very bottom it says My AT&T is not for AT&T Prepaid customers. So why did AT&T take me there?

    Result: Endless loop. No solution possible.

    2) I started a chat with an AT&T Expert. I'm warned AT&T Experts are not employees so be very careful what you say. Gulp! Expert tells my to go to My AT&T. I had to tell the Expert a couple times that doesn't work. I'm just in an endless loop. Expert says he understands, stay in the chat, he'll transfer me to an AT&T agent.

    3) AT&T agent says she can fix my problem. Yay! I warn her I'm on AT&T Prepaid. She checks my account and sees. No problem. Then she just throws me on the My AT&T page -- for postpaid users only. Grrrrr. Once I got out of the endless loop hell, I had to fight to get my previous chat to appear again. AT&T agent asks if her sending me to My AT&T fixed the problem. I said yet again that I'm on AT&T Prepaid so My AT&T just throws me out. She understands now. OK, she reset my voicemail password, told me to reboot my phone, and let her know.

    After phone reboots, I can finally set a password for my voicemail. Yay! Samsung Internet web browser was still in recent apps, but AT&T agent is no longer there. I have to start another chat with an AT&T Expert. No thanks.

    Why does AT&T Prepaid make it literally impossible for me to do such a simple thing?

    Moral of the story: Yes, AT&T made this as difficult as possible -- it was impossible for me, impossible for an AT&T Expert, and took a few tries for the AT&T agent.

    Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    Koodo: Unlimited Canada Talk, World Text, 8+9 GB Data
    AT&T: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, 8+17 GB data

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    31
    Feedback Score
    0
    I know right? I've had other prepaid and postpaid services and I was never in so many circles. I'll probably have to stick around a little longer until I can get through.. Next time I switch services I'll make sure I get all my info ahead of time

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,993
    Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5+, Any and all Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    I must disagree. Not displaying it in OLAM would prevent a non-authorized user from gaining access to the account and fraudulently make changes. Internet security is very important and should not be taken lightly by any large corporation.

    The idea that internet security is somehow more open to fraud compared to any other forms of non-contact security (where the customer isn't physically present) is silly.

    Just the other day I had to call my mother's credit card company for her about a billing issue. I got a rep on the line, and he insisted (perfectly legitimately) to speak to my mother and get her permission to speak to me about the account. He's never met my mom and doesn't know what she sounds like. Any human being with a high enough voice to pass as a woman could've played the part of my mom and wreaked havoc on her credit cards, if they were armed with her name, address, and last four digits of her social security number (which I already knew, or course.) I probably could've just done a Robin-Williams-as-Mrs.-Doubtfire impression and not had to have bothered my mother at all!


    The reason the number is hidden isn't for security; it's a hoop they make you jump through to force you to have to fight your way through a rep before you can port your number away without talking to them first. (The same way you can signup for SiriusXM satellite radio with just a click, but it takes a twenty minute phone call with a human rep to cancel!)

    To deliver the coup de grace for my argument, I'll ask you a simple question: what magical fraud-busting question is the customer service rep going to ask the OP on a phone call that they couldn't just as easily and securely have entered in a pop-up dialog box in the OLAM? SSN? Account PIN? Mother's maiden name? The name of their first iguana?

    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    19,409
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post

    The reason the number is hidden isn't for security; it's a hoop they make you jump through to force you to have to fight your way through a rep before you can port your number away without talking to them first. (The same way you can signup for SiriusXM satellite radio with just a click, but it takes a twenty minute phone call with a human rep to cancel!)

    To deliver the coup de grace for my argument, I'll ask you a simple question: what magical fraud-busting question is the customer service rep going to ask the OP on a phone call that they couldn't just as easily and securely have entered in a pop-up dialog box in the OLAM? SSN? Account PIN? Mother's maiden name? The name of their first iguana?
    Conspiracy much ?? I stand by my assertion that it is a security measure, there are no "Hoops" as you mentioned.

    CS reps are not supposed to open an account or discuss any information without verifying the account fully. If they fail to do so, the can be disciplined or fired. The cell phone companies take security seriously, postpaid or prepaid and can be fined heavily for releasing account information to a non-authorized user.

    As to your question, the account password/PIN # will be needed for verification purposes. It will not be displayed on the OLAM screen for security reasons. If you didn't know the password/PIN #, and wanted to port your phone #, you would be prompted to contact your current provider to get the information. I can't tell you what security information would be needed if you called or chatted online with a CS rep and had forgotten that. When I was with At&t postpaid, anytime a customer could not remember the security information, they would be told to go to a retail location with ID for verification.

    I did customer support for several years on postpaid service, but not prepaid. You may not be satisfied with the answer but those are the facts, like it or not.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,993
    Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5+, Any and all Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    Conspiracy much ?? I stand by my assertion that it is a security measure, there are no "Hoops" as you mentioned.

    CS reps are not supposed to open an account or discuss any information without verifying the account fully. If they fail to do so, the can be disciplined or fired. The cell phone companies take security seriously, postpaid or prepaid and can be fined heavily for releasing account information to a non-authorized user.

    As to your question, the account password/PIN # will be needed for verification purposes. It will not be displayed on the OLAM screen for security reasons...
    Right. So my point is, why can't the OLAM display your account number (what the OP is asking for) *after* you enter the acct password and PIN# (which is what *you* just said a CSR would use to verify your identity.)

    Same info, different collection method. I'm not suggesting mearly logging into the OLAM should display your account number, password, PIN, SSN and blood type, I'm suggesting that the OLAM could interrogate you for the same info a CSR would require before offering the same info a CSR would. Requiring a human to interrogate is a hoop.

    And as for your assertion that "The cell phone companies take security seriously, postpaid or prepaid and can be fined heavily for releasing account information to a non-authorized user..." that may be true, but do you want to know how to get your T-Mo account number? Just log into the OLAM. It's the second thing displayed, just under your name. So unless T-Mo is a rogue agent sticking their middle finger at the feds, we can assume AT&T is not legally prohibited from sharing your account number with you online. They're just laying out a hoop to jump through.


    What you won't see in the T-Mo OLAM (rightly), is your account PIN, which is needed along with your acct # to close, change, or port out of your account.


    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    If you didn't know the password/PIN #, and wanted to port your phone #, you would be prompted to contact your current provider to get the information. I can't tell you what security information would be needed if you called or chatted online with a CS rep and had forgotten that. When I was with At&t postpaid, anytime a customer could not remember the security information, they would be told to go to a retail location with ID for verification.

    I did customer support for several years on postpaid service, but not prepaid. You may not be satisfied with the answer but those are the facts, like it or not.
    No, the only fact here is the OP can't get their account number from the OLAM. The "why" is conjecture, since neither you nor I are privy to AT&T's actual reasons. I've worked for enough corporations to know that the reasons their tell their employees aren't guaranteed to be the real ones either. In this case, it certainly sounds better to tell the customer that "their security" prevents something rather than "we'd like to make it as difficult for you as possible to leave us..."

    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    19,409
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    And yet I had worked for At&t CS for almost 9 years and I do have a little more perspective on the process. While working for At&t it was no different between postpaid or prepaid. There is no conjecture on my part. I am sorry the OP had so much difficulty but OLAM only has limited options. Some inquiries require verification with a live rep. There are no ways around it. Even if you ask for a manager, the same security requirements will be enforced.

    BTW: How T-Mobile, Sprint or Verizon (or any other company) verifies the account or displays account information online has nothing to do with how At&t does.

    Sorry, but you are tilting at windmills.

    We can disagree on this if you choose, but it won't change anything.
    Last edited by Serial Port; 06-26-2020 at 11:50 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Rogers Account Number
    By simms in forum Rogers/Fido/Chat-r
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-12-2008, 09:45 PM
  2. Getting My Account Number
    By InfernoTruck in forum AT&T
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-24-2004, 02:56 PM
  3. Strange account/number swap issue.?
    By ebedoun in forum General Nextel Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-17-2003, 01:08 AM
  4. Foundation account number
    By izzy308 in forum AT&T
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-15-2003, 02:59 PM
  5. Cingular Account number
    By chrisoaf in forum AT&T
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-27-2003, 05:49 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks