Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Can I get a limited talk/text plan for either flip phone?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    20
    Feedback Score
    0

    Can I get a limited talk/text plan for either flip phone?

    I have two old flip phones.

    One is a prepaid Verizon Samsung Gusto 3 that has never been taken out of the box. A friend bought it at Radio Shack when they were liquidating years ago.

    The other is Verizon Samsung Haven. It was used for some years on a Verizon postpaid plan.

    I am looking to use one of these two phones for emergencies only. A yearly plan with minimal minutes would be great. I am assuming that I can not get the Gusto 3 activated but hope that I can use the Verizon Samsung Haven and find a Verizon MVNO with a basic plan.

    Your thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

    Anovise
    Last edited by Serial Port; 06-20-2020 at 08:17 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    304
    Feedback Score
    0
    If the phone does not have VoLTE i dont see Verizon (or their MVNOs) activating the phone

    Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,642
    Feedback Score
    0
    Neither of these phones can be activated anymore. Just get an Alcatel MyFlip, put it on Page Plus, and then load $10 every 120 days.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    3,284
    Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I still see these flip phones available for sale on ebay. Wonder what the buyers are doing with 'em. Maybe using in a different country?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,642
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    I still see these flip phones available for sale on ebay. Wonder what the buyers are doing with 'em. Maybe using in a different country?
    These phones aren't unlockable, and both CDMA and the frequncies they're on aren't in any other country to my knowledge, so they're really not worth anything to a foreign buyer. (CDMA has mostly been phased out in most countries that used to have it). The only thing you can do with these phones is call 911, and even that won't be usable at the beginning of next year. They're probably being sold simply out of ignorance or because they just want to unload inventory on uneducated buyers.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    19,414
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Maybe the eBay buyers want fancy paperweights or door stops that light up. That's about all those devices are good for today. Or simply they just don't know any better
    Just another day in paradise.....

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,078
    Feedback Score
    0
    I don't think I'd be far off to say there's still at least a million people unaware of the change.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    20
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    Neither of these phones can be activated anymore. Just get an Alcatel MyFlip, put it on Page Plus, and then load $10 every 120 days.
    Thanks, it sounds like the way to go. I see that Walmart sells them for $19.99. Or, do I get the phone through Page Plus? How does texting work with this plan?

    Anovise

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    3,284
    Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    These phones aren't unlockable, and both CDMA and the frequncies they're on aren't in any other country to my knowledge, so they're really not worth anything to a foreign buyer. (CDMA has mostly been phased out in most countries that used to have it). The only thing you can do with these phones is call 911, and even that won't be usable at the beginning of next year. They're probably being sold simply out of ignorance or because they just want to unload inventory on uneducated buyers.
    It takes all of 5 seconds to unlock these phones.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CDMA2000_networks Shows quite a few countries still using the 850/1900 cdma bands. So maybe they're used there. Given ebay's buyer friendly policies, getting a refund is not difficult if the seller advertises it to work on vzw.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    7,531
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    They're probably being sold simply out of ignorance or because they just want to unload inventory on uneducated buyers.
    I have questioned some sellers of obsolete phones. Some are ignorant, and some don't care. These are not phone people, but just buy and sell things. Don't think I have ever seen one state you could not activate that phone anymore.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,642
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Anovise View Post
    Thanks, it sounds like the way to go. I see that Walmart sells them for $19.99. Or, do I get the phone through Page Plus? How does texting work with this plan?

    Anovise
    You should be able to use any TracFone-based company's Alcatel MyFlip. Just might need a new SIM. Probably just easier to order it from Page Plus if you don't want to worry about dealing with hiccups. It's only $19.99 through them too. Texting is a flat $0.05 per text and minutes are a flat $0.06 per minute.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,642
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    It takes all of 5 seconds to unlock these phones.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CDMA2000_networks Shows quite a few countries still using the 850/1900 cdma bands. So maybe they're used there. Given ebay's buyer friendly policies, getting a refund is not difficult if the seller advertises it to work on vzw.
    I know CDMA used to be deployed in about half the world at one point, and I'm surprised that there are as many countries as there is that still use it. I used to do some flashing back when Windows Mobile was still a big thing, but I haven't messed with it since, so I wasn't sure if these devices were really easy to get unlocked or reflashed. I just knew it used to be a pain back in the day to get this kind of firmware off on these basic flips phones.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,078
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    You should be able to use any TracFone-based company's Alcatel MyFlip. Just might need a new SIM. Probably just easier to order it from Page Plus if you don't want to worry about dealing with hiccups. It's only $19.99 through them too. Texting is a flat $0.05 per text and minutes are a flat $0.06 per minute.

    If it's the TF labeled version it comes with the TF/Vzw sim. You can activate it on PP with the sim that comes in it right out of the box, no hiccups. Many of us on here have done it. Pretty any TF company DL model if it's for Vzw(sim). A PP sim is just a TF sim. I use TF BYOP or the branded sims in their branded phones; all my phones on PP.

Similar Threads

  1. Can NOT get the $30.00 BB Plan??
    By Renegadez in forum BlackBerry
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-24-2008, 06:21 AM
  2. Can you get an iphone without data plans??
    By bruno6491 in forum Apple
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-27-2007, 03:59 PM
  3. How can I get a 580 to test signal?
    By OhioCalling in forum General Nextel Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-01-2006, 09:26 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-24-2006, 02:38 PM
  5. Where can I get rid of my Sidekick Plan Early?
    By Mikeygaga0713 in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-09-2006, 07:01 PM

Bookmarks