Thread: Total Wireless and Straightalk phone plans with Hotspot

Feedback Score

Total Wireless and Straightalk phone plans with Hotspot

Now that TW and ST have smartphone plans that allow hotspot, anyone using these plans ?
    What's your experience using the HS feature?
    Does using a phone as a HS provide the same strength/range as a basic stand alone HS?

Feedback Score
    Really. No one has those plans ?

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I have never used a hotspot myself yet, but I know my brother uses the hotspot with his Straight Talk phone and hotspot. He says they are about the same in his opinion.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    I have never used a hotspot myself yet, but I know my brother uses the hotspot with his Straight Talk phone and hotspot. He says they are about the same in his opinion.
    Thanks. I asked because I'm getting close to hitting the break even between what my PagePlus PayGo is starting to cost plus the $20 a month I pay ST for my stand alone HS. I need the HS around for backup for my poor no fiber rural DSL.
    The HS only gets 2GB for the $20, but does have good Mbps for where I live. The ST or TW utt plans with 5GB (with HS allowed) are $35. Kill 2 birds with one phone.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    As far as I know, Straight Talk only has hotspot with the $55 plan. I never really looked into Total Wireless tho.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    As far as I know, Straight Talk only has hotspot with the $55 plan. I never really looked into Total Wireless tho.
    Yes, TW starts with the $35 utt/5GB plan with HS. ST is just the $55. I'd go TW but included ST in my question just to get broader input from users. Maybe the other TF companies, even PP, will get onboard with a HS allowance plan.

Feedback Score
    Instead of starting a new thread I'll continue here. Getting ready to pull the trigger on the TotalWireless $35 plan with utt/5GB with hotspot allowed. May be moving one of my PagePlus lines.
    Any additional input on the plan and TW in general as a reliable carrier ? Thx.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Any additional input on the plan and TW in general as a reliable carrier ?
    You might compare to the latest Verizon Prepaid plans. The 5 GB and hotspot is $25 with loyalty discounts. The 15 GB is $35. I assume you also get WiFi calling and roaming with these. There is also Visible with unlimited hotspot for $40, but limited on what Android phones can be used.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    You might compare to the latest Verizon Prepaid plans. The 5 GB and hotspot is $25 with loyalty discounts. The 15 GB is $35. I assume you also get WiFi calling and roaming with these. There is also Visible with unlimited hotspot for $40, but limited on what Android phones can be used.
    Thanks. I had seen those deals and reported on them in another thread. I got a Verizon Mifi and their data only plan and had a nightmare with Vzw Prepaid CS on some issues. Resolved now, fingers crossed that I won't have to do much interaction with them. A stand alone hotspot works best for my "main" internet.
    The phone with a HS allowed plan is for a back up. The Vzw plans are great now but their CS was worse then I've ever encountered with even PagePlus so I'm hesitant to use them for a backup lifeline. I could just stay with my PagePlus PayGo and the ST HS device I have now as a wifi backup but my increase in calls lately plus the cost of the ST HS data is about the same as the TotalWireless utt/5gb plan.
    Visible just isn't a safe option either for me based on things I've read in HoFo.
    Still weighing options; just want to minimize hassle and have some peace of mind even if it cost a little more.
    Thx for inputs.

Feedback Score

HotSpot is Spotty w/ Total Wireless

I have the TotalWireless 3 line plan with shared 60GB. I was told I had 10gb per line I could use for hotspot.

My phone works fine (cheap samsung a10e), but my wife's hotspot does not (samsung a50). When I try to turn on mobile hotspot it says could not connect, mobile number not found. I spent about an hour on the phone today with TotalWireless support who started by telling me that my plan didn't have hotspot. I told them that's not true and I can use hotspot just fine on my phone...my wifes phone which is a better one should also be able to use hotspot. Then they had me check a bunch of things...flip a bunch of switches...and said they'd push an update to it (update never came)...then they said they'd call back if that didn't work and would do a full factory reset. I'm not factory resetting the phone as I have no confidence it will work.

SO! Your mileage may vary with hotspots. I was really excited about it too because my wife could really use hotspot more than me but until she gets another phone or unless I can find out another way to get her hotspot on this one she cant use it. I tried the foxfi app that used to work on one of my old phones but no love there either.

Oh yeah..both of these phones were bought directly from TotalWireless with their sim pre-installed, so these aren't swappa/unlocked/etc. phones that were re-purposed for TotalWireless.