Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: What's the cheapest plan for receiving U.S text in other countries?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    2
    Feedback Score
    0

    What's the cheapest plan for receiving U.S text in other countries?

    I'm planning to go to South Korea and stay a couple of months.
    I just don't wanna miss any verification texts from banks, credit card, etc. just a few calls, no data needed

    Currently I'm using T-mobile, but It's too expensive to keep using abroad.
    I don't wanna change my number but if I have to, I'll do thou.

    So At first Ultra mobile 3$ pay-go plan seemed to be the best,
    but They(chatting representative) said it won't work, cause they don't do roaming service.
    even their homepage looks like...it would work, it charges per a text tho, so I'm confused.

    I considered Google voice or other VOIPs, but It seemed that I wouldn't receive texts from banks.

    Any answer or suggestions?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    726
    Feedback Score
    0
    most if not all t-mobile MVNO's(such as Ultra) you should be able receive text via WiFi calling when the phone is connected to wifi

    you would need a handset that fully supports T-Mobile wifi calling which would mean a t-mobile branded phone or a recent universal model with full support for VoLTE and wifi calling on t-mobile

    what i would not be sure about is if banks, etc. texting mechanisms may know that you are overseas, on wifi, etc. and for whatever reason not deliver such texts. i do believe they have increasingly sophisticated mechanisms to limit what could lead to fraud in 2 factor authentication.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,650
    Feedback Score
    0
    GV #s work just fine with MOST banks and other services. They don't with some.

    You can get a GV # for free and test it before you leave the US. If the GV # works for your banks while in the US, it will work wherever you are as long as you have a WiFi or cellular data connection.

    If you use major banks and CC companies, you can ask here for people's experiences with GV #s and those services if you want.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    2
    Feedback Score
    0
    I am looking for the exact same thing as OP. just that i want to be in India.

    Google Voice is not being accepted in most banks. At least in BOFA and also in Chase (for few critical transactions).

    The best option at this point would be to join a t-mobile international roaming plan based out of USA address.

    I am still looking for options though

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    2
    Feedback Score
    0
    I decided to try ultramobile $3 plan. Wish me good luck : ) and I'll let you know the result

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,650
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by enticelle View Post
    I decided to try ultramobile $3 plan. Wish me good luck : ) and I'll let you know the result
    Good luck!

    My gut feeling is that it will work, but that's just a feeling.

    My fingers are crossed for success!

    I'll be looking forward to your report.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,468
    Feedback Score
    0
    What I don't get is that my BofA never asks for a SMS verification when I use their app. I pay bills, I transfer money using Zelle...

    I might be paranoid, but to me those requests sound like scammers wanting to know what they can use to mascarade as US residents. Especially when they have like 2 posts on the forum.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    300
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gilma666 View Post
    I am looking for the exact same thing as OP. just that i want to be in India.

    Google Voice is not being accepted in most banks. At least in BOFA and also in Chase (for few critical transactions).

    The best option at this point would be to join a t-mobile international roaming plan based out of USA address.

    I am still looking for options though
    I'm not sure how you can say most banks! I only have GV (no other phone number) and it works well for me in both US financial institutions and in Indian financial institutions.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    416
    Feedback Score
    0

    What's the cheapest plan for receiving U.S text in other countries?

    Quote Originally Posted by russsell View Post
    I'm not sure how you can say most banks! I only have GV (no other phone number) and it works well for me in both US financial institutions and in Indian financial institutions.
    Which US financial institutions accepted ur GV number?

    Chase sends OTPs to my GV# via call but not via txt.
    PNC - Can’t add GV# tas a verified #. Zelle - also doesn’t accept GV.

    Edit 6/30/20
    - My GV# now works with Zelle.
    Last edited by Maru; 06-30-2020 at 05:15 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    90
    Device(s)
    Nokia 5800 XM
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have never been successful in using GV# @ any financial institute. Even Microsoft Azure Services and Amazon Web services dont accept my GV# when performing registration. They say internet phone no is not accepted.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,650
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shah_vm View Post
    I have never been successful in using GV# @ any financial institute. Even Microsoft Azure Services and Amazon Web services dont accept my GV# when performing registration. They say internet phone no is not accepted.
    I use 10 different banks and credit card companies. The only one that doesn't work with my GV # is my Chase credit card, where any code that's supposed to be sent simply never arrives, but fortunately, Chase gives the option to get a code via email when I sign in from a new device, so I use that instead.

    Although I was able to sign up with no trouble using my GV #, Uber wouldn't allow me to schedule a ride with my GV # until I contacted support to have them manually approve it, but now it works fine for scheduling rides.

    I was able to sign up for and use Lyft with my GV # with no additional steps necessary.

    The IRS wouldn't allow me to use my GV # to instantly set up an account. I had to request a code to be mailed to my home address to be able to use my GV #, but since I did that, I receive the confirmation text at each login to my GV # just fine.

    I didn't have to take any special steps to be able to use my GV # with ssa.gov when I set up my Social Security online account.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    2,368
    Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, Total Wireless (Verizon), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Bank of America is iffy when it comes to GV numbers (I had to go in and get it set up to work). My old account for a smaller chain bank in Oklahoma never accepted my GV number. It definitely depends on the system, but there are still a number of them that don't.

    Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

    R.I.P. Circuit City

    We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

    1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,941
    Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    Bank of America is iffy when it comes to GV numbers (I had to go in and get it set up to work). My old account for a smaller chain bank in Oklahoma never accepted my GV number. It definitely depends on the system, but there are still a number of them that don't.

    Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    I wonder if it has anything to do with the age or source of the GV number?

    I have very little trouble using my two GV#'s for 2FA, but one is a port of a "real" cell phone number, and the other I've had since the GrandCentral days.


    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    416
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I use 10 different banks and credit card companies. The only one that doesn't work with my GV # is my Chase credit card, where any code that's supposed to be sent simply never arrives, but fortunately, Chase gives the option to get a code via email when I sign in from a new device, so I use that instead.

    Although I was able to sign up with no trouble using my GV #, Uber wouldn't allow me to schedule a ride with my GV # until I contacted support to have them manually approve it, but now it works fine for scheduling rides.

    I was able to sign up for and use Lyft with my GV # with no additional steps necessary.

    The IRS wouldn't allow me to use my GV # to instantly set up an account. I had to request a code to be mailed to my home address to be able to use my GV #, but since I did that, I receive the confirmation text at each login to my GV # just fine.

    I didn't have to take any special steps to be able to use my GV # with ssa.gov when I set up my Social Security online account.
    Surprisingly, I’ve never had any problem using GV to get Uber rides for the past 4 yrs.

    I had to use a real mobile # for IRS account verification. After that, I changed the info to my GV number. Had no problem then receiving codes whenever I signed back in.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,650
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    Bank of America is iffy when it comes to GV numbers (I had to go in and get it set up to work). My old account for a smaller chain bank in Oklahoma never accepted my GV number. It definitely depends on the system, but there are still a number of them that don't.
    In my case, "most" banks accept my GV # is true, since only 1 out of 10 doesn't. But somebody else using 10 DIFFERENT banks could have a completely different ratio of success.

    So those saying "most" don't are probably just as wrong as me saying "most" do, because it will vary based on exactly which banks are being used.

    Thanks for providing the info that it IS possible to use a GV # with BofA by going into a branch to get it set up. That's very useful, since BofA is so big and has so many customers.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-25-2011, 12:38 PM
  2. What's the cheapest plan for the minimal user?
    By cyrix01 in forum Tracfone/Net10
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-09-2011, 01:37 AM
  3. what is the cheapest plan for unlimited texts and emails only
    By qipengart in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-16-2009, 05:12 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-24-2008, 03:09 AM
  5. What's the Cheapest Prices for P280 / V60G?
    By Rainman in forum Rogers/Fido/Chat-r
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-01-2002, 10:23 PM

Bookmarks