Thread: "New" development in GV - alias number with person's name

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket 500/500/500 plan at $10/mo
    Feedback Score

"New" development in GV - alias number with person's name

Well, OK, maybe not new. I remember years ago using GV on a dumbphone and having to save a person's GV alias number in my contacts when he/she texted you so that you reply using GV and not your phone number. This was when using a dumbphone without the GV app. There was no way to know that GV alias number until somebody replied to a text. Then to send a text with your GV number you had to use that alias number.

Anyway, I have an old iPhone SE that I keep in my office for those days when I forget my normal phone. I have a Truphone SIM in it so I'm not paying a monthly fee, and my GV number forwards to it. I didn't install the GV app. So I use it basically like a dumbphone.

As long as a person's name is in your Google contacts, the incoming text will show his/her name along with the alias number.
    Name:  GV screenshot.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  21.6 KB

Maybe this has always been the case when using GV with a smartphone without the app. I don't know. Is anybody else still using GV without the app?
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    I still have lots of those alias # saved in my contacts from days-gone-by.

Do you happen to have that alias # saved in the contact for that person?

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I still have lots of those alias # saved in my contacts from days-gone-by.

Do you happen to have that alias # saved in the contact for that person?
    Yes, I also have plenty of those old alias numbers saved in my contact list, but not this person's. I added her after I started using the app on a smartphone. Maybe since I sent the text to her actual number from my PC, not using the iPhone, the alias number automatically registered her name.

Feedback Score
    I'm not sure. But it's definitely an interesting phenomenon!

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    It’s been there for at least 5-6 years.

I used to keep work contacts just on my Google Account, just in case something happened and I had to temporarily switch devices with a different OS (at the time I was strictly iOS). So I would occasionally have specific names show up in the texts that way. They even show up with the contact name in GMail if you have GV forward texts to GMail.

I still keep alias numbers in my contact list, so that I can see messages or start texts when driving (using Android Auto and the standard messaging app).

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    It’s been there for at least 5-6 years.
    It's probably been longer than that since I've used GV without the app. I remember when GV was first released and I used it with a Samsung Evergreen slider phone. I have been a fan of GV ever since.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I still use the alias numbers when needed. I don't get a whole lot of new contacts these days so most of the people I do need to contact have already gone through "the process" (have SMS-ed my GV number so I can collect that alias number) and I've got that number under their Contact entry (locally and in Google Contacts).

I don't use the GV app for much other than SMS texting when I'm in place wherever there's Wi-Fi available (and also to manage and control the behavior of the service). Calling over Wi-Fi with the devices I have has never proven to be technically seamless, so I avoid it (dropouts mainly).

I don't have a (now-conventional) full-time, always-on-and-connected data plan component with my cell service (PPC PAYGO), so I use GV over cellular like I have from the start (for me) nine years ago.

Just a few days ago I was out and about (beyond any Wi-Fi) and needed to send a text to a friend. Instead of using the GV app to message them like I would have at home or work, I went to my Contacts and selected their GV alias number and sent the text through the native Messages app.

I have incoming SMS to my GV number forwarded to my native cell number (like I do voice calls), although when I'm "in port" (wherever there's Wi-Fi) and remember to, I'll use the GV app and switch off text forwarding. I may occasionally forget that step (or forget to turn it on), but usually no great loss.

No one knows any of my cell numbers (three different lines on two carriers - PPC and T-Mobile), and so far so good.