Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 79

Thread: What's the best unlocked budget phone you've ever used?

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    303
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have had Moto E4, E5play, E5, and even an iPhone 6 and 6s (all for under 100). My favorite is my UMIDIGI F1 i got in May for just over 100. Amazing battery, speed and dual Sim. Once i got the issue with the update resolved it has been a trooper.

    Currently have 2 e5 plays, iPhone 6s and a LG k8 as backups. have given away the others to people who needed a phone. Moto is a good phone but 4GB ram does make a difference.

    Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    436
    Device(s)
    Motorolla Q9c, Droid 1 (2009), Alcatel Elevate (2016)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    $400 ! And the industry sure has the younger folks believing that. In my book $400 is beginning of "are you f--king crazy? It's just a *phone*!" IMHO, the "average" user will see no difference in a $80 phone or $400 phone.
    same here.
    $400 is laptop computer range, not phone range!

    budget would be a $50 Android 8 or better unlocked phone for Mint mobile.
    Why arent there any?
    where arent there phone manufacturers that produce inexpensive phones?
    it doesnt have to be fancy. i just need Android 8 or better.

    i need Android 8 or better for longevity because every year my bank apps keep requiring higher and higher Android versions to be compatible. (currently require Android 6 and expect Android 7 as minimum before end of 2020.)

    edit:
    i currently have a Moto E4 (Android 7.x)
    Last edited by fstuff; 07-12-2020 at 12:21 PM.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    115
    Feedback Score
    0
    The "why" is because unlocked phones aren't subsidized by the carrier.

    Consider buying a cheaper (used) phone on Android 7, and replacing it as the next generation goes down in cost.

    Used Moto E4's (Android 7), factory unlocked, can be had for $50, and several other good options in the $50-75 range (used.). New Moto E6's for $100 when on sale. Umidigi phones (new,GSM unlocked) can just about meet your price point & Android version desires when they go on sale. (A few weeks ago, the official Umidigi store had the A3S for $58 with shipping from China.)

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    436
    Device(s)
    Motorolla Q9c, Droid 1 (2009), Alcatel Elevate (2016)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    The "why" is because unlocked phones aren't subsidized by the carrier.

    Consider buying a cheaper (used) phone on Android 7, and replacing it as the next generation goes down in cost.

    Used Moto E4's (Android 7), factory unlocked, can be had for $50, and several other good options in the $50-75 range (used.). New Moto E6's for $100 when on sale. Umidigi phones (new,GSM unlocked) can just about meet your price point & Android version desires when they go on sale.
    (A few weeks ago, the official Umidigi store had the A3S for $58 with shipping from China.)
    i already have a Moto E4. (i edited my post.)

    what site do you use to see phones on sale?

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,771
    Feedback Score
    0
    Just grabbed a few At&t Prepaid Nokia 3.1A's on clearance that feel surprisingly solid. Gonna run one for a couple days to see if they're any good.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    115
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by fstuff View Post
    i already have a Moto E4. (i edited my post.)

    what site do you use to see phones on sale?
    I have a Moto E4, too-- they're nice phones.
    If you're comfortable with that one, but want an updated version, the Moto E6 is currently $99.99 at Best Buy:
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/motorol...?skuId=6355878
    Don't dawdle too long if you want one of these new, at that price. It's being replaced with the new Moto E (should be the E7-- why would they drop the series #?), which currently seems to be going for $150.

    Umidigi runs special promo pricing regularly at Amazon, Ebay, and AliExpress. Make sure you're looking at 'Umidigi Official Store' as the seller, since there are plenty of resellers.
    The $60 promo price is still available here:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000388219112.html
    You can opt for free shipping from China (takes several weeks), or $10 shipping from the US warehouse.
    The A3S is their current version, Android 10. GSM unlocked. Don't expect much in the way of updates from Umidigi, though.
    I got one of these a couple of weeks ago, and have been playing with it. It's nice, but heavy do to the glass back.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    157
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by munkala View Post
    The best budget phones are the AT&T prepaid phones like Moto e4, Moto e5 Play, LG Xpression Plus, etc when they go on sale for $30-$50. Use it on Freedom Pop annual prepaid sim with Google Voice as a secondary phone. After 6 months request the unlock code from the AT&T unlock portal.

    Sent from my moto e5 play using HoFo mobile app
    I tried this with the e5 Play (purchased Black Friday 2019, used on FPop since then) but AT&T will not unlock it, so it looks like they closed this loophole. Still worth it to use on ATT MVNO's, but is there another way to get it unlocked, e.g. eBay unlock services? They always look so shady to me...

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    449
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by der_lizzard View Post
    I tried this with the e5 Play (purchased Black Friday 2019, used on FPop since then) but AT&T will not unlock it, so it looks like they closed this loophole. Still worth it to use on ATT MVNO's, but is there another way to get it unlocked, e.g. eBay unlock services? They always look so shady to me...
    Did you submit it just recently? It was only like a month ago Greenhandle submitted his IMEI with success.

    Sent from my moto e5 play using HoFo mobile app

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    157
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by munkala View Post
    Did you submit it just recently? It was only like a month ago Greenhandle submitted his IMEI with success.

    Sent from my moto e5 play using HoFo mobile app
    Yes, I tried it again today. It seems like Greenhandle's worked because his device was old enough to be grandfathered (CameoX released in November, 2017) whereas the e5 Play is newer (release April 2018). Just wondered if there was another workaround.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,978
    Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5+, Any and all Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    ...It's being replaced with the new Moto E (should be the E7-- why would they drop the series #?)...
    I think the problem is the numbers from Moto's various lines are out of sync. If the current G is an "8", why is the current E a "7", or the "Z" a 4, etc.? If they just used the year like cars do it'd make more sense- we'd all know an E 2020 is the current model. (I wonder if this year is their way to reset, and next year we'll get an E2 and G2, etc.)

    Imagine if cars were numbered like Moto phones? How could most people easily tell that Ford's "Mustang 57", "Taurus 35", and "Fusion 15" were all this year's model?

    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,771
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by der_lizzard View Post
    Yes, I tried it again today. It seems like Greenhandle's worked because his device was old enough to be grandfathered (CameoX released in November, 2017) whereas the e5 Play is newer (release April 2018). Just wondered if there was another workaround.
    Yeah, I just tried the two Nokia 3.1a's I picked up and the unlock portal won't even accept the IMEI's.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    436
    Device(s)
    Motorolla Q9c, Droid 1 (2009), Alcatel Elevate (2016)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    I have a Moto E4, too-- they're nice phones.
    If you're comfortable with that one, but want an updated version, the Moto E6 is currently $99.99 at Best Buy:
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/motorol...?skuId=6355878
    Don't dawdle too long if you want one of these new, at that price. It's being replaced with the new Moto E (should be the E7-- why would they drop the series #?), which currently seems to be going for $150.

    Umidigi runs special promo pricing regularly at Amazon, Ebay, and AliExpress. Make sure you're looking at 'Umidigi Official Store' as the seller, since there are plenty of resellers.
    The $60 promo price is still available here:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000388219112.html
    You can opt for free shipping from China (takes several weeks), or $10 shipping from the US warehouse.
    The A3S is their current version, Android 10. GSM unlocked. Don't expect much in the way of updates from Umidigi, though.
    I got one of these a couple of weeks ago, and have been playing with it. It's nice, but heavy do to the glass back.
    thx!
    surprised the e6 still has 2 gigs ram and 16gigs storage even though it's 2 generations later than the E4.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,738
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by fstuff View Post
    thx!
    surprised the e6 still has 2 gigs ram and 16gigs storage even though it's 2 generations later than the E4.
    I still think the E4 was ahead of it's time / better than it's price.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,978
    Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5+, Any and all Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I still think the E4 was ahead of it's time / better than it's price.
    Yep. I have a prepaid Verizon E4+ as a backup that I paid $60 for (plus another $3 to SIM unlock back when that was available.) All the value of the E4 plus a 5000 mAh battery. That beast is not just a great backup phone, but also works well as an ersatz Hotspot/MiFi device since the battery will easily last all day in Hotspot mode.

    I would've bought a real factory unlocked one from Moto when they were on clearance for $110 so features like VoLTE and WiFi calling would work on T-Mo, but my wife handed me down her T-Mo-branded E5+ when she got a Pixel 3a.

    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,059
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Yep. I have a prepaid Verizon E4+ as a backup that I paid $60 for (plus another $3 to SIM unlock back when that was available.) All the value of the E4 plus a 5000 mAh battery. That beast is not just a great backup phone, but also works well as an ersatz Hotspot/MiFi device since the battery will easily last all day in Hotspot mode.
    Since you bring up using your E4+ as an exclusive Hotspot I'll ask. I may have to start using one of my E4's (not the Plus) as a Hotspot frequently since Century Link is cutting off DSL in my rural area (no cable here).

    What's the in house range when you use it as a HS ?
    Would you say it's as capable as a stand alone HS device?
    The E4 has a much smaller battery (2780 mAh) then the E4 Plus.....would keeping the phone plugged into the charger while using as a HS be an option to help?
    A recommendation of a reasonably priced but solid stand alone HS device (on Vzw) instead?
    Thx.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. what is the best unlocked GSM phone for $300
    By noah.dreams in forum Samsung
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-01-2013, 11:10 PM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-29-2007, 08:37 AM
  3. What is the best overall VZW phone you've had/have/want???
    By iakona724 in forum Feature Phones
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-13-2007, 08:37 PM
  4. What is the most seen Verizon phone you've seen?
    By navyseal2413 in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 11-25-2004, 12:19 AM
  5. What's the most of one phone you've ever had?
    By Japultra in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 07-15-2002, 08:43 PM

Bookmarks