Thread: Hangouts v. GV

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score

Hangouts v. GV

I've had a couple GV numbers for years. Numbers in 2 diff. states - mainly for a few incoming calls. Also use GV for the few intl calls we make.
    I have never used Hangouts. Can it be used to make intl. calls to phone numbers (land or cell) like GV? If so, is there a price advantage?

Thanks.
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    8 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. TM One plan. Get $10/mo. rebate on 7 lines for low data use. Net cost about $185-190/mo. We haven't had a landline in more than 17 years.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I've used both of these for quite a few years as well, although never for international calling.

Hangouts' ability to call was the original (mobile) method Google developed to do VoIP calling with a person's Google Voice account, long before GV itself was capable of that function (VoIP calling being available initially through a desktop web browser).

It still works as it did. I'd look at it as an extention of GV's calling capabilities (on the VoIP side only), along with its own Instant Messaging and video calling abilities.

As such, there is no pricing difference for intl. calling as it is really working through the GV account.

Feedback Score
    I have used GV via Hangouts for limited international calling. The rates aren't great, but I keep a small credit balance, just as a backup.

MOST of our international communication is via FB Messenger, with occasional Viber and Skype usage mixed in.

If you need the best prices for "real" international phone calls, which my wife occasionally needs, I suggest Tel3. I don't think they can be beat, but I only buy when they are offering 100%, or more recently, 200% bonus credit. Currently, using coupon code DAD200, if you add $10, you get $30 credit, or if you add $25, you get $75 credit, etc. We have (mostly) used Tel3 a few times per year since early 2005. As of the last time I checked, their policy is, with usage every year balances never expire, and while I wouldn't recommend testing this, I didn't use it for at least a couple of years leading up to 2014, and when I went to use it again in 2014, the balance was still there, similar to how Truphone and Piranha have required usage to keep an existing balance active, but neither seem to enforce that usage policy.

Feedback Score
    If I use GV as a secondary number do I need Hangouts for anything? Will GV app do everything I need (calls, text) things like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker5011 View Post
    If I use GV as a secondary number do I need Hangouts for anything? Will GV app do everything I need (calls, text) things like that?
    Yes. But see the list at the following link to see if any of the listed items will bother you.

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...ice-App-Issues