Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Best annual deal for TracFone renewal; Advising the relatives

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    You did put some item in the checkout cart? What does it list in "More For Your Device"?
    Yes, I did. It lists some protection deals.

Device(s)
    Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    So as far as I can see, unless I get a lead on other offers (other than the TF eBay web store one-year offers that don't have a separate one-year refill card; only a pre-loaded SIM), the best and easiest thing appears to be the $125 card with the 22448 promo code, which knocks off $50.
    Worked good for me, $83.60 with all the taxes and fees.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    The relatives live in Chicago, and one major factor in the decision we were astounded to learn was the price of the $125 card once the taxes were added in.

All told, the additional taxes and fees added $25.53 to the total, so with the promo code the price was only brought back down to near $100! So considering both their current balances, going with the Service Days add-on seemed a prudent choice, at least this year.

Breakdown of the additional cost:

$12.94 - Illinois/Chicago sales tax
    $11.34 - prepaid wireless 911 and ITAC fee
    (Illinois Telecommunications
    Access Corporation)
    $1.00 - Federal USF
    $0.25 - Regulatory Cost Recovery fee

So yeah, damn that all to heck and back!

Feedback Score
    The relatives live in Chicago, and one major factor in the decision we were astounded to learn was the price of the $125 card once the taxes were added in.
    That's Chi-cagga for you! I lived there for a few years and it was the highest overall taxation of any place I have been. One of the very few bargains in California is no sales tax for telephony and low fees.

Name:  Checkout_TracFone_Wireless.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  48.6 KB

Callingmart has the $125 cards and last I heard was not charging tax or fees.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Earlier I looked up sales tax maximums, and, for city, county, and state combined, Chicago is at 10.25%, but is tied with Long Beach and Glendale California, all three of those the same total figure.

You've got it easy, LH.

Feedback Score
    Well, I cleared cache and cookies for TF site, and now can add 1 year service to the cart.

Feedback Score
    Earlier I looked up sales tax maximums, and, for city, county, and state combined, Chicago is at 10.25%, but is tied with Long Beach and Glendale California, all three of those the same total figure.
    Yes there are local tax/fee differences in many locations across the country. Difference in California is there is NO sales tax on telephony. This is considered a service, and few services are taxable. You pay sales tax on the hardware like other places.

Carrier(s)
    BellSouth Mobility, AirTouch, Cingular, Verizon, StraightTalk, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Yes there are local tax/fee differences in many locations across the country. Difference in California is there is NO sales tax on telephony. This is considered a service, and few services are taxable. You pay sales tax on the hardware like other places.
    I just bought a one year service extension from TF and they added sales tax that was higher than the correct rate for where I live. I've had this problem before and complained to the online vendors. Apparently the software most of them use ain't that great and isn't able to keep up with the myriad of rates for different locales and the frequent rate changes.

I usually pursue the overcharge for large purchases but it isn't worth the hassle for something small.

Feedback Score
    Tracfone is not known for investing in competence.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasHam View Post
    I just bought a one year service extension from TF and they added sales tax that was higher than the correct rate for where I live. I've had this problem before and complained to the online vendors. Apparently the software most of them use ain't that great and isn't able to keep up with the myriad of rates for different locales and the frequent rate changes.

I usually pursue the overcharge for large purchases but it isn't worth the hassle for something small.
    When I bought a phone and bundle from HSN last year they charged me 11% tax.

My state sales tax is 6%.
    Apparently the extra 5% was the e911 fee.

I'm in Michigan.

I don't think that is what happened to your purchase though.

HSN also didn't have a summery and total of my purchase on the Buy it and pay for it page.

I later found out that they charged me more than I anticipated on the email confirmation receipt.

Sent from my Monstrous Moto e5

Carrier(s)
    BellSouth Mobility, AirTouch, Cingular, Verizon, StraightTalk, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    They added 7% instead of the correct 6% on a $49.99 purchase, Wasn't worth an extended back and forth over 50 cents!

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    One time I bought a TracFone flip at Rite Aid without any minutes and they charged the telephony/911 fees on the phone itself besides the sales tax.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2