Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: T-Mobile might be forced to find new buyer for Boost

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T-MOBILE GSM View Post
    Id like to see them approach US Cellular as the 4th nationwide company. I heard they are expanding their network and just got a new CEO as of recent. Lol it will look good on his watch as bringing the company to nationwide coverage. .....
    I'm not sure who the first "them" is in this statement: T-Mobile? Dish? FCC? Seems to me that the problem would be that USCC does not have anything like a nationwide spectrum holding. It would be like suggesting the CSpire become a nationwide company with only very regional spectrum. Where do you plan to find the spectrum for USCC to use. 14 MHz of band-26 isn't going to cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    The government will do nothing.
    Based on past experience, I can't argue otherwise. However, there are consent decrees that Dish agreed to. Those are hard to wiggle out of, if the government decided to press the issue.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max/Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    The Bloomberg article listed one of DISH's demands- allowing Boost customers to use T-Mo's network right away, rather than later, (which I assume really means Charlie wants T-Mo to eat the cost of replacing Boost customer's equipment with T-Mo equipment right out of the gate so he doesn't have to deal with the expense later.)

Frankly, if that's Charlie's only demand, I suspect T-Mo will be encouraged by the DOJ to capitulate. That doesn't seem that unreasonable: T-Mo is leasing their network to DISH to use for 7 years, then is dumping 8 million Boost customers on DISH who use largely obsolete Sprint CDMA equipment, while T-Mo actively moves to shut down the Sprint network DISH's customers use as soon as possible.

The original merger deal forces T-Mo to give DISH three years of "transitional support" (whatever that means) to assist DISH to migrate their customers from Sprint to T-Mo. Does that give DISH the right to force T-Mo to leave the Sprint network up for three years while Charlie (a well-known cheapskate) delays an inevitable equipment swap as long as possible? Or does transitional support mean T-Mo's on the hook for the cost of equipment replacement anyway, but has up to three years to complete it and Charlie just wants to move that timetable up to "immediately"? If it's either situation, this doesn't seem that bad for T-Mo to give in and get the deal done.

Selling Boost was a condition of the merger, and while I'm sure T-Mo would get an extension to find another buyer if DISH bows out, it's unlikely they'll find another one as willing and as suitable as DISH, unless they want to hand over 8 million customers to a direct competitor, since I can't imagine who other than AT&T or Verizon would be willing to shoulder the cost of converting that many customers to a compatible network.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    I don’t see Verizon willing to take on 8 million Boost customers as they’re in process of buying out 1/2 of one of their LTEiRA partners and as far as AT&T goes, considering they’re trying to sell some of their assets I don’t think they’re interested in spending money at the moment. That’s just my opinion on the matter though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    It has been proven that is a fake news anyway.
    Here is the real news https://www.cnet.com/news/dish-deal-...ose-on-july-1/
    No politics here anyway, we are talking truth than fake...No Fox newst
    Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
    "...Dish is paying $3.6 billion for spectrum and $1.4 billion for prepaid carrier Boost...."

Isn't that a lot less than originally. Afair originally it was $8 billion.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.38 otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.01.20

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    Charlie is such a weasel, once again he squirms. A deal is a deal, and everyone's plans got turned upside down by the pandemic. Such is business... If he doesn't follow-through, I REALLY HOPE they claw back his spectrum from him. Dish has squatted on that very valuable spectrum for years past the deadline to build out his supposed network.

FWIW, most Boost phones can roam on T-Mobile today, so if T-Mobile is going to start refarming Sprint spectrum, then asking for access to T-Mobile's network is fair, but is something they should have negotiated before. But new equipment isn't necessary in most cases, if they'd push whatever roaming list is needed to get at least data to work. Voice, is probably more complicated, since the Boost phones tend to be very low-end and since Sprint was so late to deploy VoLTE, I don't know if they could use T-Mobile's VoLTE for voice, and many of those devices probably don't have HSDPA voice bands for the US (they might have some EU bands).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    "...Dish is paying $3.6 billion for spectrum and $1.4 billion for prepaid carrier Boost...."

Isn't that a lot less than originally. Afair originally it was $8 billion.
    It looks like it's basically the same amount as was reported last summer:

"Dish has reached an agreement with the two carriers that will see it acquire “prepaid businesses” (meaning Boost Mobile) for $1.5 billion and spectrum assets for another $3.5 billion. "

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/24/2...spectrum-boost

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Reminder to all. Keep this thread on track and keep politics out of it. In addition, arguing over the credibility of a news network whether you like them or not has no relevance to this forum. Please keep this in mind. If it continues, I guarantee a thread closure and posting vacations. I am not singling out any member at this time. Various posts were deleted to keep the peace here.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Dish started this by stating they'd purchase Boost. I think Charlie's incapable of telling the truth.
    Last edited by Serial Port; 06-20-2020 at 08:01 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus 64GB and iPhone 11 PRO Max 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    It looks like it's basically the same amount as was reported last summer:

"Dish has reached an agreement with the two carriers that will see it acquire “prepaid businesses” (meaning Boost Mobile) for $1.5 billion and spectrum assets for another $3.5 billion. "

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/24/2...spectrum-boost
    awesome!....
    Manners cost nothing, and also have the added benefit of making a man. You know, it is entirely possible to rise above others, without stooping to pushing them under, and putting them down.
    My Sister is a supervisor at T-Mobile's Salem Oregon Call center. Loyal T-Mobile customer of 16 Years.

Feedback Score
    Here is the link to the Securities & Exchange Commission document indicating that DISH intends to close on the purchase of Boost and Virgin Mobile on July 1, 2020.

I realize that date is 8 business days away and a multitude of issues can arise in 8 days. If Mr Ergen is bluffing, then he has 8 business days to make his next move(s). IMO, I believe the deal closes.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/d...x9914595c9.htm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmule View Post
    I realize that date is 8 business days away and a multitude of issues can arise in 8 days. If Mr Ergen is bluffing, then he has 8 business days to make his next move(s). IMO, I believe the deal closes.
    It will be interesting how this plays out. Charlie Ergen may sign something now, with the idea that it can be wormed out of later. I pity the Boost subscribers either way.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    ....I pity the Boost subscribers either way.
    They have feet.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    It will be interesting how this plays out. Charlie Ergen may sign something now, with the idea that it can be wormed out of later...
    Yep, Charlie Ergen is a gambler and a risk prone. In this instance, he would be playing against 3 houses, not one, which is the case when he plays blackjack and gets himself banned because the house believes he is counting cards.

This time, he is playing against the SEC, the DOJ, and the FCC. and I believe that he has enough business savvy and good advisers to make sure whatever curved move he makes is made after the deal closes and not before.

Once the document is filed, he dosen't want to antagonize three government regulatory agencies at once. It would take a long time to recover from that move.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2