Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile might be forced to find new buyer for Boost

Feedback Score

T-Mobile might be forced to find new buyer for Boost

I think as long as T-Mobile appears to be looking for a new buyer, they'll be good with regulators.

However, regulators might try to move in on Charlie's spectrum if he backs out of the deal.

I don't know that Charlie has that much hardball to play with at this point. His leverage evaporated once the merger was closed. I get it, if he thinks the deal no longer that good due to virus. But T-Mobile doesn't have an incentive to lower the price. They'd probably be happy to keep all of the Boost customers under their revenue stream.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/media/t-...plays-hardball

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    Fox News or Business...
    Bloomberg reporting also:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-with-t-mobile

Feedback Score
    T-Mobile is happy for Dish not buying Boost.
    The T-Mobile-Sprint merge was done, Boost not able to sell is not T-Mobile's fault.
    Dish is a dying company anyway

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    As long as T-Mobile lives up to their end of the deal, it's mostly bad on Dish. Of course, there all those surplus Sprint tower leases to consider. I think T-Mobile will have to find another buyer for band-26. I don't think the FCC will let them keep that, long term. I don't think that it will be all that big a deal to either find another buyer for Boost or just fold them into Metro.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5+, Any and all Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    The Bloomberg article listed one of DISH's demands- allowing Boost customers to use T-Mo's network right away, rather than later, (which I assume really means Charlie wants T-Mo to eat the cost of replacing Boost customer's equipment with T-Mo equipment right out of the gate so he doesn't have to deal with the expense later.)

Frankly, if that's Charlie's only demand, I suspect T-Mo will be encouraged by the DOJ to capitulate. That doesn't seem that unreasonable: T-Mo is leasing their network to DISH to use for 7 years, then is dumping 8 million Boost customers on DISH who use largely obsolete Sprint CDMA equipment, while T-Mo actively moves to shut down the Sprint network DISH's customers use as soon as possible.

The original merger deal forces T-Mo to give DISH three years of "transitional support" (whatever that means) to assist DISH to migrate their customers from Sprint to T-Mo. Does that give DISH the right to force T-Mo to leave the Sprint network up for three years while Charlie (a well-known cheapskate) delays an inevitable equipment swap as long as possible? Or does transitional support mean T-Mo's on the hook for the cost of equipment replacement anyway, but has up to three years to complete it and Charlie just wants to move that timetable up to "immediately"? If it's either situation, this doesn't seem that bad for T-Mo to give in and get the deal done.

Selling Boost was a condition of the merger, and while I'm sure T-Mo would get an extension to find another buyer if DISH bows out, it's unlikely they'll find another one as willing and as suitable as DISH, unless they want to hand over 8 million customers to a direct competitor, since I can't imagine who other than AT&T or Verizon would be willing to shoulder the cost of converting that many customers to a compatible network.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I'm pretty sure that what is entailed in "transitional support" is spelled out somewhere. I can't imagine that, knowing Charlie, T-Mobile would have left something like that undefined.

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5+, Any and all Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I'm pretty sure that what is entailed in "transitional support" is spelled out somewhere. I can't imagine that, knowing Charlie, T-Mobile would have left something like that undefined.
    Of course- I'm just saying those of us outside the parties involved don't know, so all we can do is speculate. I'm sure Charlie is asking for something not explicitly promised, but I'm also suggesting what he's asking for might not be *that* much more than what's already promised.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    The Bloomberg article listed one of DISH's demands- allowing Boost customers to use T-Mo's network right away, rather than later, (which I assume really means Charlie wants T-Mo to eat the cost of replacing Boost customer's equipment with T-Mo equipment right out of the gate so he doesn't have to deal with the expense later.)
    T-Mobile could offer cheap devices with T-Mobile bands. I'm not sure if I'm Charlie I want a cheap offer. After all, the 8 million customers are the only revenue he's getting at the beginning. If you lose a lot of customers because they don't like their replacement devices, you lose a lot of revenue. Also, if you take them off of the Sprint network too soon, they could be unhappy with the T-Mobile network.

Charlie should let the pros at T-Mobile handle this. They are gradually giving some Sprint users more access to the T-Mobile network depending on their devices. Some devices are more compatible than others. But to force everyone to move upfront seems misguided. T-Mobile has a vested interest in keeping those Boost customers happy because they still get a piece of the revenue.

Device(s)
    Moto G 3gen., Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I felt from day one that Dish was never going to own/run a wireless service provider.

Feedback Score
    I think Charlie got a behind the back under the table payment from SoftBank to say he'd buy Boost. So now payment & merger completed Charlie just flies away.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.38 otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.01.20

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Id like to see them approach US Cellular as the 4th nationwide company. I heard they are expanding their network and just got a new CEO as of recent. Lol it will look good on his watch as bringing the company to nationwide coverage. I trust US Cellular more than I trust Dish and T-mobile could allow US CC to take any sites it no longer wants as a head start in the build. Maybe they can also sell the LTE equipement as well to speed things along. In return they can offer USCC access to t-mobile network during the build. This could allow US CC to just start building a 5G network and eventually turning over users to the 5G network while having t-mobile as a back up or they could just build a LTE network. Just a thought on what could be completed.

Feedback Score
    From my cursory observations USCellular isn't interested in competing so much price wise. They'd rather offer above average customer service.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    From my cursory observations USCellular isn't interested in competing so much price wise. They'd rather offer above average customer service.
    Yeah, USC prefers to stay in their own regions, and is not known for good pricing. I don't see them wanting to run a large national "budget" MVNO operation.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Selling Boost was a condition of the merger, and while I'm sure T-Mo would get an extension to find another buyer if DISH bows out, it's unlikely they'll find another one as willing and as suitable as DISH, unless they want to hand over 8 million customers to a direct competitor, since I can't imagine who other than AT&T or Verizon would be willing to shoulder the cost of converting that many customers to a compatible network.
    A big part of the merger scrutiny by the DOJ and FCC was allowing the start a 4th carrier. Selling off Boost to Dish might have done that, but it will not hold with selling to an existing large carrier. Will be interesting to see what the gov'ment does with this.

Feedback Score
    The government will do nothing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast