Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: AT&T Prepaid cripples unlocked phones to HSPA+ and can have poor call quality due to no HD Voice

A virtually impossible but finitely improbable location
    Device(s)
    Note 8
    Feedback Score
    This situation has changed. Many people have taken factory unlocked phones with non branded firmware, and flashed att firmware. Within hours they've been able to use wifi calling and volte. Multiple reports on xda and reddit of this now working. Many threads of people doing this successfully.

Feedback Score
    On att prepaid my main complaint is WiFi calling not working. I’ve tried with both unlocked and att branded phones with WiFi calling. Other than that it has worked well

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Boulevard View Post
    This situation has changed. Many people have taken factory unlocked phones with non branded firmware, and flashed att firmware. Within hours they've been able to use wifi calling and volte. Multiple reports on xda and reddit of this now working. Many threads of people doing this successfully.
    Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t this undermine the whole point of an unlocked carrier free phone? To avoid the carrier bloatware?

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t this undermine the whole point of an unlocked carrier free phone? To avoid the carrier bloatware?
    Most carrier bloat can be disabled without root.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    Most carrier bloat can be disabled without root.

My experience though.. is Verizon and AT&T like to randomly "push" apps to the phones. It's why I got rid of my Note 9 actually, i hated that AT&T would occasionally push a new app to the device.

iOS i don't have to worry about it, as apple straight up forbids it.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    Visible: $25 “toy” SIM card to throw in whatever’s secondary.

Feedback Score
    Plus I’ve found they reenable disabled carrier apps with app updates in Google Play. Score one for Apple.

Device(s)
    Note 8
    Feedback Score
    I'm not sure what you mean. They flashed the ATT firmware, so now they have all the ATT bloatware on the phone... Once they have the bloatware, wifi calling seems to work.

Feedback Score

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    Unfortunately, there isn't a standardized volte. Each carrier has its own set-up. I know that some phones will work if you trick the system into thinking it's an at&t branded phone, or an approved unlocked phone, but if it wasn't tested by at&t, it'll be blocked. Android 10 on many unlocked phones, seems to have corrected this, as the csc for many carriers is preloaded and installs when the sim is inserted.

This. If you're using a Samsung device, VoLTE will usually not work without the correct CSC for the carrier you're planning to use it on. In recent years this has been expanded to include the carriers you're most likely to roam on (USA vs Canada for example).

Why an iPhone and to some extent a Pixel 4 just works and Samsung and in this case AT&T make it an absolute pain to use these devices is beyond me... Samsung has always done it this way and Samsung has always been a real problem when it comes to this stuff.

Band support also wildly varies on Samsung devices from region to region and even country to country. iPhone just supports all the bands needed pretty much globally. It's a way better solution in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I use a Note 10+ daily but the way Samsung works in these regards is a complete disadvantage to any Android client of theirs.

https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

See? Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Feedback Score
    Yes. Generally people buy carrier free phones to avoid the unwanted carrier apps aka “bloatware”, sometimes at a higher expense. It’s unfathomable stupid that the customer then has to intentionally flash the carrier firmware and get stuck with the nasty bloatware just to get a feature to work that should be working out of the box. VoLTE and WiFi calling should work with carrier free phones. Other major carriers were able to do it.

Device(s)
    Note 8
    Feedback Score
    Yes. Generally people buy carrier free phones to avoid the unwanted carrier apps aka “bloatware”, sometimes at a higher expense. It’s unfathomable stupid that the customer then has to intentionally flash the carrier firmware and get stuck with the nasty bloatware just to get a feature to work that should be working out of the box. VoLTE and WiFi calling should work with carrier free phones. Other major carriers were able to do it.
    Att seems to want it that way, otherwise they'd do it differently. Not trying to be rude but if you don't like it, use another carrier.

At least you can switch between carrier branded phones, and If you get a non branded phone, at least you can use wifi calling if you flash the firmware now... that's huge.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    True but its easy to say switch to another carrier but when people are paying 1000+ for some phones plus the monthly service, the carriers could treat customers a little better. Customers shouldn't have to jump through hoops to use phones on all the carriers or to have certain features. They should get bloat free for the price paid.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Boulevard View Post
    Att seems to want it that way, otherwise they'd do it differently. Not trying to be rude but if you don't like it, use another carrier.

At least you can switch between carrier branded phones, and If you get a non branded phone, at least you can use wifi calling if you flash the firmware now... that's huge.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post
    True but its easy to say switch to another carrier but when people are paying 1000+ for some phones plus the monthly service, the carriers could treat customers a little better. Customers shouldn't have to jump through hoops to use phones on all the carriers or to have certain features. They should get bloat free for the price paid.
    Exactly...

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL, Galaxy S7 edge (SM-G935A), GNote 4 (SM-N910A), OnePlus One (US Edition)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Current), VZW (2014), Boost Mobile (2010)
    Feedback Score
    I mean, I bought a gently used Pixel 3a XL for just under $400 a year ago, and I've got VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling. I don't have any carrier bloat, VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling work better than they did on my Galaxy S7 edge, and I can take the phone to whatever carrier I want and it will work. There are 2 sides to this: the technical and the business. There are SOME phones that don't contain the necessary IMS profile for AT&T's VoLTE (and by extension, Wi-Fi Calling) because the OEMs haven't implemented them yet. And then there are some deliberate lack of inclusions on phones like Samsung devices, because AT&T has an agreement in place to only allow carrier-branded phones to have those network features. VoLTE support is now mandatory for phones on Verizon and AT&T, so you'll see a lot more unlocked devices working with AT&T's network, since UMTS/HSPA+ is being decomissioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by WishIWasHer View Post
    CSD was rarely used, and was before they started referring to cell phone technology in G's. This G stuff really started with 3G coverage and its because the 2nd iPhone was called the iPhone 3G. That's where cell phone tech got the G's from. The G stands for Gigs and the number is the number of Gigs the signal is.
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    Oh boy....
    Quote Originally Posted by AttData View Post
    My thoughts exactly...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3