Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: FreedomPop Free Account Worthwhile?

Feedback Score

FreedomPop Free Account Worthwhile?

I had FreedomPop with a great deal--unlimited calls, unlimited text, 500 mb for free. Then they sort of went out of business.
    I transferred to Ting, and then as per FreedomPop's direction, to Red Pocket, as it was cheaper, and I use well under 100 minutes per month.
    Suddenly my Red Pocket stopped working. Support told me my phone broke. Wrong. I called Ting, and they had me running in 5 minutes.
    Unfortunately, my phone has aged out. I purchased an unlocked LG V35.
    Ting sent me a new SIM. However, when I tried to activate they told me that my phone doesn't work on their Sprint network.
    So bottom line---I see FreedomPop still has a free plan: 200 minutes, 500 texts, 200 mb.
    My questions are: 1. Is FreedomPop still using VOIP, which I found to be practically useless?, and 2. Is this deal legitimate (yeah, it's FreedomPop, so small print is they'll charge $35 a month unless you go online within 14 days of SHIPMENT (!) and downgrade, and then they're still going to lock up a deposit).
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by carlbarry View Post
    I had FreedomPop with a great deal--unlimited calls, unlimited text, 500 mb for free. Then they sort of went out of business.
    I transferred to Ting, and then as per FreedomPop's direction, to Red Pocket, as it was cheaper, and I use well under 100 minutes per month.
    Suddenly my Red Pocket stopped working. Support told me my phone broke. Wrong. I called Ting, and they had me running in 5 minutes.
    Unfortunately, my phone has aged out. I purchased an unlocked LG V35.
    Ting sent me a new SIM. However, when I tried to activate they told me that my phone doesn't work on their Sprint network.
    So bottom line---I see FreedomPop still has a free plan: 200 minutes, 500 texts, 200 mb.
    My questions are: 1. Is FreedomPop still using VOIP, which I found to be practically useless?, and 2. Is this deal legitimate (yeah, it's FreedomPop, so small print is they'll charge $35 a month unless you go online within 14 days of SHIPMENT (!) and downgrade, and then they're still going to lock up a deposit).
    Thanks.
    It's still VOIP with their horrible app, or VOIP with another app like Hangouts using the data. I never found that VOIP calling with mobile data worked at all reliably. When I am mobile, I really want phone calls to be reliable for important, urgent, and emergency calls.

It's not worth whatever they charge as a deposit nowadays to get started. Last I heard the deposit was $20. My guess is that you would never get that deposit back.

The FP free Sprint lines were sold to Ting - no freebies there. The (AT&T) LTE lines were sold to Red Pocket. They have continued as free with no changes so far. It is unknown what Red Pocket plans to do with them. However, last week they made some system changes that deactivated a lot of lines. I lost four of six lines. They have restored two so far.

Sprint has no future. They were bought by T-Mobile.

H2O has a plan that uses AT&T for $10 a quarter - $40 a year.

PagePlus has a plan that uses Verizon for $10 per 120 days - $30 a year.

JMHO

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    It's still VOIP with their horrible app, or VOIP with another app like Hangouts using the data. I never found that VOIP calling with mobile data worked at all reliably. When I am mobile, I really want phone calls to be reliable for important, urgent, and emergency calls.

It's not worth whatever they charge as a deposit nowadays to get started. Last I heard the deposit was $20. My guess is that you would never get that deposit back.

The FP free Sprint lines were sold to Ting - no freebies there. The (AT&T) LTE lines were sold to Red Pocket. They have continued as free with no changes so far. It is unknown what Red Pocket plans to do with them. However, last week they made some system changes that deactivated a lot of lines. I lost four of six lines. They have restored two so far.

Sprint has no future. They were bought by T-Mobile.

H2O has a plan that uses AT&T for $10 a quarter - $40 a year.

PagePlus has a plan that uses Verizon for $10 per 120 days - $30 a year.

JMHO
    Thanks. There were many times I wanted to throw my FreedomPop phone at the wall. I don't know how many times people would be on their cell phone, and I would try to use FreedomPop, only to get a "no cell signal available."
    I looked at H2O. The cheapest plan I see there is $18 per month for unlimited talk and text and 2 gb.
    I looked at PagePlus. The cheapest plan I see is $10 per month "with auto pay fill" for 500/500/100 mb. They do have a cockamamie plan that seems to be 166 minutes for 3 months, and then you pay per minute, and cost is $10. Seems to be for 4G phones.
    I returned to Red Pocket. The home page says they have a $4 a month plan, but the cheapest I could find was a pre-pay for a year on Ebay, for $60. It think it is 100/100/200 mb. That would work for me as long as it is not VOIP.
    Interestingly, there was a way to enter the code on a FreedomPop or Red Pocket SIM card. And also enter the MEID of the phone.
    I have an unused FreedomPop SIM. I entered that number, and the MEID of my new phone. Nothing happened. Which makes me worry about the reliability of their web site and thus their service altogether.
    Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. There were many times I wanted to throw my FreedomPop phone at the wall. I don't know how many times people would be on their cell phone, and I would try to use FreedomPop, only to get a "no cell signal available."
    I looked at H2O. The cheapest plan I see there is $18 per month for unlimited talk and text and 2 gb.
    I looked at PagePlus. The cheapest plan I see is $10 per month "with auto pay fill" for 500/500/100 mb. They do have a cockamamie plan that seems to be 166 minutes for 3 months, and then you pay per minute, and cost is $10. Seems to be for 4G phones.
    I returned to Red Pocket. The home page says they have a $4 a month plan, but the cheapest I could find was a pre-pay for a year on Ebay, for $60. It think it is 100/100/200 mb. That would work for me as long as it is not VOIP.
    Interestingly, there was a way to enter the code on a FreedomPop or Red Pocket SIM card. And also enter the MEID of the phone.
    I have an unused FreedomPop SIM. I entered that number, and the MEID of my new phone. Nothing happened. Which makes me worry about the reliability of their web site and thus their service altogether.
    Thanks again.
    Someone here knows how to get the H2O an PagePlus pago that I mentioned. They don't advertise them. I have never personally used them. I think you make the deposit without selecting a plan or something like that.

PagePlus and H2O have forums. The question might get noticed more quickly there.

Good luck

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    They do have a cockamamie plan that seems to be 166 minutes for 3 months, and then you pay per minute, and cost is $10. Seems to be for 4G phones.
    Not a cockamamie plan; it's a classic PayGo. Meant for people that don't need allot of minutes or text and not really meant for data.
    It comes in $10, 25, 50 good for 120 days, or $80 good for a year. It charges out of the $ bucket at different rates from the start, not after the 3 months. You pay per minute, text or Mb from the start.
    For example the $10 plan charges out at 6c a minute, 5c a text or 5c a Mb. If you have any $ left at the end of 120 days it carries over to your next renew. 166 minutes it assumes the $10 is all talk minutes. ($10/.06 = 166). If you used all data $10 would get you 200Mb. It's $10 TOTAL to consume at the different rates, not for each bucket.
    If you already have an active 3G on PP you can still get the 3G PayGo which has a slightly different charge off.

I renew every 120 days with the $25 or $10 PayGo and have a small carry over balance when I do. But, I don't live on my phone. Only for when I'm out and about or for long distance calls or occasional text. If I ever used data it was a quick on and off to check email if I'm out. I never leave data on. If you don't really use data and are only a light talk text user they're perfect plans. And that's all they're meant for.

Feedback Score
    Thanks to rpz1 I now understand how these plans operate. The h2o at 5 cents a minute would probably work great for me. I use probably 20 minutes a month average over the course of a year (practically zero most months, more when I go on vacation, and right now shopping at the supermarket and calling friends I'm shopping for, a lot more). Last month was exceptional, and I used a 92 minutes.
    Thanks!

Feedback Score
    "Not a cockamamie plan; it's a classic PayGo. Meant for people that don't need allot of minutes or text and not really meant for data.
    It comes in $10, 25, 50 good for 120 days, or $80 good for a year. It charges out of the $ bucket at different rates from the start, not after the 3 months. You pay per minute, text or Mb from the start."

Thanks!
    Now I understand how it works. I hope my new phone will work with these.

One other question: are there added fees, or is it a straight $9 for the 3 months?
    Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    One other question: are there added fees, or is it a straight $9 for the 3 months?
    Thanks again.
    I was referring to PagePlus. I don't know how H2O works. I assume your $9, 3 month is H2O (ATT). PP is Verizon.

Feedback Score
    Thanks to all.
    I checked my minutes/text usage for the 10 months I've been on Ting. I don't have data with the plan, and haven't missed it.
    Leaving out one month when I was on vacation and spent a huge amount of time on hold with Capital One, my average monthly use was 44 minutes and 26 texts. Just using the months before the pandemic (where I call friends from the supermarket to check their orders), my use averaged 31/28.
    So if I go with H2O and get 200 minutes and/or texts every 3 months I should be fine.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I would not use Freedom pop for anything other than a source of a bucket of data. Those 1 year plans on best buy are probably the most cost effective out there.

Anything else is risky because their tech support is a little hard to reach.

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    I would not use Freedom pop for anything other than a source of a bucket of data. Those 1 year plans on best buy are probably the most cost effective out there.

Anything else is risky because their tech support is a little hard to reach.

Here's my experience with FreedomPop's tech service:
    I was having a problem with the WiFi on my LG G3. It would keep dropping the WiFi, after a minute, or after a second. FreedomPop's tech service would just keep forwarding to me links to web sites that I had already found on my own. Finally, after several months of back and forth with tech, I figured out on my own to turn off the WiFi optimizer.
    When I switched to Ting, I mentioned this problem to the person who handled the switch. She immediately said, oh, you have to turn off the optimizer.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Those LG sprint phones are buggy/unreliable. I had an LG G2 on Sprint Freedompop service. Never worked well enough to use.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    Those LG sprint phones are buggy/unreliable. I had an LG G2 on Sprint Freedompop service. Never worked well enough to use.

Once I turned off that stinking optimizer, I never had any more trouble with the phone, until this day. The only problem with it is it won't take Android updates anymore.

Feedback Score
    My average monthly use was 44 minutes and 26 texts ... or the month before the pandemic my use averaged 31/28.
    So if I go with H2O and get 200 minutes and/or texts every 3 months I should be fine.
    Unless I am mistaken H2O's basic cost averages $3.00 per 30 days on autopay. Then you add 5 cents per minute/text for about 70 minutes/texts every 30 days ($3.50), plus tax, for a total of roughly $6.50 per month plus tax. That's not bad depending upon the taxes in your area, but with only 200 minutes/texts per 90 days you'll be very close to the total minutes/texts you normally use.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast