Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Legacy Voice was easier for my needs

Feedback Score

Legacy Voice was easier for my needs

Hello,

When I am at my desk at work I like to use Legacy voice to initiate calls by ringing my desk phone which, upon answering, initiates a Google Voice call to the party on the other end.

I can't figure out if this feature still exists in the "new, improved" Google Voice. It was a simple two-click process from the GV website under "legacy." If it still exists, it is not easily explained in any Google Voice how-to pages, nor did I figure it out on my own.

I can use my Android phone to initiate these calls if the website is no longer an option. I'd still want the call to be conducted on my work handset so it is not so flagrantly obvious that I am on a personal call.

Thanks,

Dan

Feedback Score
    That's funny. I also asked essentially the same question in the other recent thread in this forum section.

I'll be looking forward to seeing answers!

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    The legacy Google Voice website has a red "Call" button that when clicked allows you to put in a phone # to call and then choose the forwarding # to be used (as an incoming call from GV) to complete the outgoing call.

How can the above be done on the new Google Voice website?

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    It's pretty easy to do.

1>In the new GV gui, on the right-hand side of the page you will see a dialpad with a field that says "Enter a name or number." You can either type in the number manually or "Hide the keypad" and then scroll down and select the Contact you wish to call.
    2>Once Contact is selected or manually typed in, a box will pop up with a drop-down list that says "Phone to call with."
    3>Select the line you wish to use and click on the Connect button.
    4>The line you selected should start to ring. As soon as you answer the phone dialing begins to call your Contact or number.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Feedback Score
    Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way for me. When I select a number to dial, it just pops up a dialog asking me to allow microphone access. Or at least it didn't...

HOWEVER, thanks to your comment, I looked deeper in the new GV online settings, and under Calls, I saw "Always use my phone to place calls
    When you start a call on the web, answer your phone to finish connecting the call", which was NOT selected.

After I selected it, when dialing a #, I now get the pop up dialogue that you described, and it does work to connect calls.

THANK YOU!

Feedback Score
    That's funny. I also asked essentially the same question in the other recent thread in this forum section.

I'll be looking forward to seeing answers!
    Sorry I missed your thread - I'll scan for it now. As long as I could bounce to Legacy I had a lot less urgency. I see that I can no longer push a button to make my other phones ring due to the advent of VOIP as a new default mode - once any device on the account can do internet calls it is no longer possible to do a handoff to a different line on the same GV account:

https://support.google.com/voice/thread/1067413?hl=en

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    That's cool, that the "Callback" style calling has been retained. I used to use it when I first joined up with GV. In fact that was the primary way I used it for a while. Thanks to taoman for the clarification.

Isn't/wasn't there a third party Android app called GV Callback that had that as a dedicated function? Existed before the first gen official GV app and (I guess) did its thing by manipulating things through the website (again a guess).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taoman View Post
    It's pretty easy to do.

1>In the new GV gui, on the right-hand side of the page you will see a dialpad with a field that says "Enter a name or number." You can either type in the number manually or "Hide the keypad" and then scroll down and select the Contact you wish to call.
    2>Once Contact is selected or manually typed in, a box will pop up with a drop-down list that says "Phone to call with."
    3>Select the line you wish to use and click on the Connect button.
    4>The line you selected should start to ring. As soon as you answer the phone dialing begins to call your Contact or number.
    Outstanding, thanks! I was looking for the option somewhere else on the page - never saw any "phone to call with" prompt when typing in numbers in the keypad - never thought to scroll contacts and dial by name.

Thanks again,

Dan

Feedback Score
    Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way for me. When I select a number to dial, it just pops up a dialog asking me to allow microphone access. Or at least it didn't...

HOWEVER, thanks to your comment, I looked deeper in the new GV online settings, and under Calls, I saw "Always use my phone to place calls
    When you start a call on the web, answer your phone to finish connecting the call", which was NOT selected.

After I selected it, when dialing a #, I now get the pop up dialogue that you described, and it does work to connect calls.

THANK YOU!
    When I am anywhere but work I want the laptop-based calling. Once you tweak that setting you are forced onto a handset of some kind. Still sucks compared to Legacy - now I'll have to go to settings and turn that on or off depending upon where I am. Oh well - life goes on. Thanks for the assist!

Dan

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by saverdan View Post
    When I am anywhere but work I want the laptop-based calling. Once you tweak that setting you are forced onto a handset of some kind. Still sucks compared to Legacy - now I'll have to go to settings and turn that on or off depending upon where I am. Oh well - life goes on. Thanks for the assist!

Dan
    Yeah, we all learned something today! It's sure not as user-friendly as the legacy GV website, but at least it's doable.

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, after I made the post and I was out on my morning walk it suddenly hit me I didn't include that important bit of information. But since it was the "Boz" I knew you'd figure it out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    That's cool, that the "Callback" style calling has been retained. I used to use it when I first joined up with GV. In fact that was the primary way I used it for a while. Thanks to taoman for the clarification.

Isn't/wasn't there a third party Android app called GV Callback that had that as a dedicated function? Existed before the first gen official GV app and (I guess) did its thing by manipulating things through the website (again a guess).
    I used GV Callback years ago. It got so that it only worked intermittently and then not at all - I guess as GV made changes to the system and the app was not updated. I don't see it in the Play Store now.

You can still do callback calls from voice.google.com on a mobile web browser.

There used to be a way to call with GV by calling your GV number, pressing some number then entering the number to call. Don't know if that still works.

I used the GV app on an iPod Touch for years to make local and long distance callback calls with my landline. Callback calls are all incoming.

Feedback Score
    GVoice Callback

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lback&hl=en_US

https://gvoicecallback.netlify.app/

BUT...despite using it less than a week ago:

"2020-05-29 The app is currently defunct, as Google now blocks logins from embedded browsers."

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    That method of first calling your GV number is the only way to call out using any phone if you don't have available smartphone or computer based data-assisted means, if your intention is to maintain the GV number identity to the called party.

Color me old school. I still do it that way on my PPC PAYGO lines, automating the process with an autodialer app called "Prefixer" that Boz1 turned me on to years ago.

I haven't yet joined the ranks of the masses having an actual cellular data plan. All my GV-ing is done over the circuit-switched cellular network (at least the voice calling aspect).

Which is why these forwarding features are important to me, as unless I'm someplace working the Wi-Fi (which is a high probability) I like to maximize my ability to get notified of incoming comms any way possible.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by saverdan View Post

Dan
    My GMAIL tab on my laptop will let me make and answer calls, so my hands-free VOIP style can run in-parallel with any texting I'm doing in Google Voice. Thanks for uncovering the setting so I can make Google Voice callback easy and quick if I happen to need a personal call from my desk. Need to make sure I keep my job if I'm lucky enough to avoid layoffs and get invited back during "reopening."

Dan

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In the legacy settings there's an option for setting up a ring schedule. I don't see that anywhere in the new layout.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast