Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score

Check this out: New de-contenting of GV feature

Just got this in the email today (sorry if it's small):
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Feedback Score
    Wow. Yet they can't fix the GV app to actually work properly!

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T, Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, I saw that ... I never use my GMail account for much and my main account is the destination for my GV
    Galaxy Tab S2 SM-T817T on AT&T
    Galaxy S7 on StraightTalk (AT&T)

Device(s)
    Nokia 6610, Touch Pro II, Lumia 640, LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (Since Omnipoint!)
    Feedback Score
    Doesn't make much difference. As it says only change would be you would need to setup an autoforward rule in your gmail.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T, Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jamssx View Post
    As it says only change would be you would need to setup an autoforward rule in your gmail.
    I guess I could match on the patterns "*@txt.voice.google.com" and "[email protected]" ... but I wonder if that means I'm going to have to keep chasing the E-mail sending addresses- and if there's a way to keep the originals out of the GMail account?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jamssx View Post
    Doesn't make much difference. As it says only change would be you would need to setup an autoforward rule in your gmail.
    I'm low on coffee, I don't understand this.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.38 otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 07.08.20

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    I'm low on coffee, I don't understand this.
    I hate it when that happens. I'm drinking some Zest Tea (iced) right now that has the same amount of caffeine as a cup of coffee so I can function........marginally.

Google is getting very close to removing access to the Legacy Version of Google Voice. In the Legacy Version of GV you could add a secondary (non-Google) email address to get your voicemails, SMS, etc forwarded to. That capability is going away June 22nd.

But in practice, all that means (if you still want to receive your voicemails & SMS at a different email address) is that you need to create a filter in your Gmail account which will forward your voicemails & SMS to that secondary address. Very simple to do.

A much bigger concern (at least for me) is that once the Legacy Version goes away so does Contact group membership which I use extensively to route unknown callers (that aren't one of my Google Contacts) to a specific line. I'm also assuming we'll lose the ability to have a specific greeting for specific callers. I see no way to do either of those things in the new GV gui.

We're also losing the ability to add a note in the GV call log (history) which I know some people use extensively. So bottom line is we will lose some important functionality when access to the Legacy Version of GV is removed.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I believe taoman is correct in his assessment.

I don't use most of those other features. I have two GV accounts. One (my primary) does rely on its respective Gmail account and I don't have a problem with that.

We already lost the ability, some months ago, to get a forwarded SMS notification of waiting voicemail (I didn't and don't get voicemail transcriptions, whether via SMS or email), which I wasn't too keen on, but am dealing with.

My concern was my secondary, rarely used GV account. On the devices I carry I have several email accounts being monitored, and that particular secondary Gmail account isn't one of them.

But I can alter that and either include it, or re-learn how to use filters/rules to forward to the same email account (a Yahoo one) it's currently set for.

Back when I first got into GV, in the "Legacy" style interface, the email address for forwarding wasn't even referred to as a "secondary" one; it was just "put in the address you want your stuff to go to," essentially. It's freakin' email and SMS. You should easily be able to point it wherever you want from that web-based source application (Google Voice). Like a financial institution's two-factor settings.

I'm just curious why this has to end after all these years. Streamline the experience? Eliminate confusion? Give me a break! There's some unspoken rationale behind it that we may never know about, I suspect. Maybe it is simply that Legacy is going away and they don't want to figure out how to fit those features into the newer UI. To help us. To protect us. To better serve us.

Ah, well. A free service, working pretty well. I'm completely dependent on it. Google giveth and Google taketh away, as the saying might go.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Wow. Just spent some time doing a preemptive setup of the forwarding for my secondary GV account's SMS texts and voicemail notifications to a Yahoo email account (and setting the GV account itself to send initially to its corresponding Gmail account.

The written instructions for doing this given by Google are just about the worst I've encountered, so here are some tips for the rough spots.

You're doing two things here: You're setting up a filter that as a result will forward to another email address. My advice is to go directly to the Forwarding option in Settings (this is in the Gmail account pertaining to the associated GV number) and set up the forwarding email address.

DO NOT enable forwarding with the radio button in this field; leave it set to Disabled! Enabling it at this point will forward ALL incoming email to that address. Instead, go back now and create the filter (two filters actually). One using @txt.voice.google.com in the From box; the other using [email protected] (just like kencrudup wrote). That's all the criteria you need for each, then click Create Filter. Here will be the selection boxes for what to do with the message, and since you already set up a forwarding address, the box for Forwarding will NOT be greyed out. Check it and also select the previously entered destination email address, for each separate filter. Follow through with a Save Changes or similar move and you'll be done.

There may be a selection to not keep the original in the Gmail account. It's in there somewhere. But it does work as described. I was getting hung up where you'd create the filter first but the Forwarding option was greyed out, and adding the forwarding address alone didn't seem to finish the task, unless you knew to keep Forwarding disabled. The filter controls at that point. Sheesh. Thank goodness for YouTube.

Feedback Score
    I have an old GrandCentral Google Voice acct. The username is an non-GMail email address. Do I have to do any of this rigmarole? Or will it just keep working?

Feedback Score
    Wow. I just don't understand why Google seems to always mess with good things. It seems like they're taking away some of what was really good about the GV system.

Or in the case of Hangouts used for GV VoIP calling, be in the process of eliminating it while there are still so many problems with the supposed replacement GV app!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    I have an old GrandCentral Google Voice acct. The username is an non-GMail email address. Do I have to do any of this rigmarole? Or will it just keep working?
    Have you received any email from Google regarding it?

Interestingly, I don't think I've received an email from Google like whacker referenced in the first post for ANY of my 3 GV accounts.

Feedback Score
    The legacy Google Voice website has a red "Call" button that when clicked allows you to put in a phone # to call and then choose the forwarding # to be used (as an incoming call from GV) to complete the outgoing call.

How can the above be done on the new Google Voice website?

EDIT:
    I see that someone else was asking this same question at the same time in a new thread. If anybody knows the answer, you might as well answer it in the dedicated thread for this particular issue. http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...r-for-my-needs
    Last edited by Boz1; 06-04-2020 at 07:54 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Boz1, I received that initial email notification from the first post here at two of my Yahoo addresses that are set up as security/recovery info in the Google accounts. Have not received anything similar at the Google accounts themselves, so that may be the reason for what you're (not) seeing. Perhaps you don't have that set up.

More:

Filtering on "[email protected]" will forward every notification that comes from Google regarding GV, not just those pertaining to if you've got waiting voicemail.

In my case I may like that, as the account is so minimally active that I may not check that Gmail Inbox for long periods, perhaps missing something important. I don't have any general email traffic at this address at all, but still would not want to simply forward all, so filtering is a good solution.

However, if all you want are the notifications about voicemail, you can instead filter on the Subject line using "New Voicemail From," and that should narrow forwarded content to just what you need. Pretty flexible.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    Boz1, I received that initial email notification from the first post here at two of my Yahoo addresses that are set up as security/recovery info in the Google accounts. Have not received anything similar at the Google accounts themselves, so that may be the reason for what you're (not) seeing. Perhaps you don't have that set up.
    That makes sense. Thanks!

Now I just hope Google doesn't let zapjb fall through the cracks since his GV account was originally GrandCentral with a non-Gmail username/email address.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast