Thread: Will plans go up after 3 years?

Feedback Score

Will plans go up after 3 years?

I’m still surprised att doubled the prepaid plan that wasn’t out for long.

Will T-Mobile be good about keeping plan and price after the 3 year commitment?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sorry, my crystal ball is still in the shop and I can't predict what might happen in 3 years. I don't think anybody on this site can either. We can only play the waiting game like everyone else.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Hopefully they stick around for quite a while

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile has been good about keeping grandfathered plans long after there was any good reason to do so. I've spent 95% of the last 22 years with plans and/or features that were grandfathered and unobtanium if ever surrendered.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score

Will plans go up after 3 years?

Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    T-Mobile has been good about keeping grandfathered plans long after there was any good reason to do so. I've spent 95% of the last 22 years with plans and/or features that were grandfathered and unobtanium if ever surrendered.
    That’s good to hear. It really got me thinking after att decided to double the price on their 2gb prepaid this summer especially with how crazy things have been. The plan wasn’t out for very long

I have a Verizon prepaid line also so between that and T-Mobile im covered in most spots I go.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daisydoo View Post
    That’s good to hear. ....
    I have a T-Mobile Gold Rewards PAYG that I've been keeping active for something like 15 years.

This is not to say that anything labeled "promotional" won't vaporize on the appointed day.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I have a T-Mobile Gold Rewards PAYG that I've been keeping active for something like 15 years.

This is not to say that anything labeled "promotional" won't vaporize on the appointed day.
    Looks like T-Mobile is very good about letting people keep plans for a really long time. I know it’s never a sure thing but makes me feel better about keeping the plan long term

Feedback Score
    Looks like T-Mobile is very good about letting people keep plans for a really long time. I know it’s never a sure thing but makes me feel better about keeping the plan long term
    Yes.

I have a Legacy Gold Rewards line that I have had since February 2007.

I just top it up once a year with a $10 refill and it rolls over for another year.

Best low use plan for the money for me.

Sent from my Monstrous Moto e5

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    no they wont go up after 3 years.

t-mobile has the custom to add features to the new plans. for example, i used to have the old voicestream buddy text for 1.99 with 1mb data just like everyone else (later unlimited), but i had to change because of free international roaming.. i travel international alot, like 10 countries a year.. but there are people that use the internet at t-zones 2.99 and is unlimited here at usa; they still have it since 1998. So no... they will not try to force you out. Until you need something from them (of course, those people in the 3 dollar tzones dont have free international texting, roaming, free calling international or jump free upgrades and they are locked in the international global calling and locked out from other perks) maybe they dont need it.
    get a plan that you will use in the long term.

Feedback Score

Will T-Mobile be good about keeping plan and price after the 3 year commitment?
    Certainly all of the anti-merger folks claimed that such a thing would occur as they advocated for the merger to be blocked. Attorney generals from some states along with AT&T and Verizon supporters made such claims without putting forth any hard evidence. They were desperately trying to prevent T-Mobile from becoming a behemoth that it will now become since they have Sprint assets.

Like most all businesses in the United States, T-Mobile is free to set their pricing as they see fit. If they raise prices in 3 years, however, they know that they would lose a lot of business. So the ultimate answer will be dependent upon the economy as it is at that time.

In the meantime, Americans can enjoy the country leading 5G coverage that T-Mobile is deploying.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    .....Like most all businesses in the United States, T-Mobile is free to set their pricing as they see fit. .....
    I think this is the important take-away. None of us can say that T-Mobile will never raise rates. I mean, Congress just printed several trillion dollars out of thin air and threw it around like a drunken sailor on liberty. That has to eventually cause inflation. So, if the dollar drops in value, T-Mobile might be forced to "adjust" rates but, based on their history, it's easy to say they don't like to do it.

Device(s)
    Samsung Note 10+ 5G, Samsung Galaxy S10 (G9730), Lumia 950 XL (Red Pocket)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    I have a Nationwide Talk & Text plan from around 2003. I think some re-jiggered fee calculations have caused the rate to go up about $5 over the years.

not a price hike, but the biggest feature change happened in the last 18 months, and it's a big one. they took away international data passes. completely. with my plan T-Zones is built-in, so through a loop-hole unlimited data is always there domestically. years ago I was able to add int'l data passes through the web on my account and all was fine. then that disappeared and I had to go through a CSR, a little annoying but still OK. then at some point in the last year when I contacted them about adding a pass, customer service told me they were no longer able to add them on my plan. "ist kaputt."

now I use a Google Fi (or a local country) SIM for travel. and seriously considering switching to Fi as their int'l data is unmatched. though I'd miss that unlimited domestic bucket of data... which I never really use to be honest. Last time I checked I use less than 2GB on average, which would make it a wash for what I'd pay for Fi.

never sure why they didn't force me to Simple Choice like they did with some others in that "purge" years ago.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by phelme View Post

never sure why they didn't force me to Simple Choice like they did with some others in that "purge" years ago.
    I think the purge was very limited in scope and very few people got caught up in it. The plans were Select Choice which were lower than the Simple Choice plans. The idea was to try to keep the price point about the same and move people to a more modern plan. In the end, I think they abandoned the idea for whatever reason. Your plan is an example that they lost interest in migrating you and others over.