Thread: Mint Mobile Starter Kit: $0.99 at Amazon

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Mint Mobile Starter Kit: $0.99 at Amazon

Great cheap way to test out the T-Mobile network with your unlocked, compatible smart device.

Mint Mobile Starter Kit | Verify Compatibility with Our Talk, Text & Data Plans (3-in-1 GSM SIM Card) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0786RD524..._g5C1EbX32AS1D

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    can I put this in my current phone (on pageplus right now) and try the service out,if it doesn;t work I can put my previous sim back in and continue to use same phone?

Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FreeUp, FreedomPop US & MX, Toggle UK, Piranha, Netzclub DE, Simyo ES, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hsmama View Post
    can I put this in my current phone (on pageplus right now) and try the service out,if it doesn;t work I can put my previous sim back in and continue to use same phone?
    If the phone is unlocked, yes. If you're not sure, and you got the phone from PagePlus, it's probably locked, but you can ask them about getting in unlocked if you've had it on their service for 12 months or more.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by djphilosophy View Post
    If the phone is unlocked, yes. If you're not sure, and you got the phone from PagePlus, it's probably locked, but you can ask them about getting in unlocked if you've had it on their service for 12 months or more.
    Well that sounds great! My phone is unlocked,it originally ran on Verizon,then I switched to Pageplus for the past few years-

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    >Well that sounds great! My phone is unlocked,it originally ran on Verizon,then I switched to Pageplus for the past few years-

Depends on the phone you have. If your phone only partially supports TMo bands, then it will run, but reception will likely be crap, and you'll end up blaming the service when it's really the phone that's crap. If the phone "originally ran on Verizon," more likely than not it's the latter.

BTW, when asking about phone matters, it may be a good idea to mention phone make/model. Not all phones are the same.
    It's an iphone 6s originally purchased along with a verizon contract.

Feedback Score
    How long can I let these SIMs lie around before activating?
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 02.06.21

Feedback Score

T-Mobile Mint Mobile Starter Kit: $0.99 At Amazon

That is a great find. Thank you for posting that.

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5+, Any and all Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    TMo's main coverage band is B71, which it relies on to cover much of the country. iPhone 6s is too old to have that band, and if you're not in a metro area, reception will likely be poor.

Band 71 (600MHz) isnt "T-Mo's main coverage band..." It is used to fill in areas where T-Mo didn't previously have coverage, or add more capacity where they do, but bands 2, 4, and 12 are still the bulk of their coverage. Generally 71 is the band of last resort, and T-Mo SIMs tend to only go to 71 if nothing else is available.

The iPhone 6s supports 2, 4, and 12.

If you hang around the T-Mo forums, they treat anyone without a band 71 phone like a pariah and tell you you won't have coverage outside urban areas. I currently use a non-B71 phone, but my wife's has 71, and even when traveling we rarely run into a spot where she has coverage and I don't. We usually either both do, or both don't.

(Having said that, there certainly are areas where T-Mo only has B71. It's just not very common, and not a reason to run out and buy a new phone unless you frequent such areas.)

Check your zip code against TMo's coverage. If you don't know how to do that, ask in T-Mobile forum (yes, post your zip code).
    I'm not sure one needs too much handholding to check coverage. T-Mo's website has an interactive coverage map like virtually every other cell carrier.

My favorite T-Mo map, however, is on Mint's website, because it breaks down the coverage by band (though it uses the band's freq. in MHz rather than the LTE band numbers)

https://www.mintmobile.com/coverage/ I've attached a sample screenshot...

Put in some addresses you go often, and see what bands cover those areas. As long as either 2 (1900MHz), 4 (2100MHz), or 12 (700MHz) are there, the 6s should have coverage. Band 71 will be listed as "600MHz". In the screenshot I attached, 600 is weaker at that location than 700 (600 should have coverage outside and in cars, where 700 should also have coverage in houses and commercial buildings.)

The map probably overstates "Mint's" (T-Mo's) coverage a little, but it should give you at least a rough idea of what you're getting into.

Then, if you really want to test TMo's coverage, go get el cheapo NEW TMo phone with B71 support + $1 Mint SIM. Yes, a bit of work, and a bit of money involved.
    If you really want to test T-Mo coverage (incl. band 71) you can do it for free. The T-Mobile Test Drive is a program where T-Mo sends you a T-Mobile Hotspot and SIM with 30 days of service or 30GB of data, which ever comes first. In theory, you're supposed to keep the hotspot in your pocket and use your existing phone set to use WiFi calling. (That way you don't interrupt your existing number/service, but connect via T-Mo towers through the hotspot to test if T-Mo service works where you go.)

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Band 71 (600MHz) isnt "T-Mo's main coverage band..." It is used to fill in areas where T-Mo didn't previously have coverage, or add more capacity where they do, but bands 2, 4, and 12 are still the bulk of their coverage. Generally 71 is the band of last resort, and T-Mo SIMs tend to only go to 71 if nothing else is available.

The iPhone 6s supports 2, 4, and 12.

If you hang around the T-Mo forums, they treat anyone without a band 71 phone like a pariah and tell you you won't have coverage outside urban areas. I currently use a non-B71 phone, but my wife's has 71, and even when traveling we rarely run into a spot where she has coverage and I don't. We usually either both do, or both don't.

(Having said that, there certainly are areas where T-Mo only has B71. It's just not very common, and not a reason to run out and buy a new phone unless you frequent such areas.)

I'm not sure one needs too much handholding to check coverage. T-Mo's website has an interactive coverage map like virtually every other cell carrier.

My favorite T-Mo map, however, is on Mint's website, because it breaks down the coverage by band (though it uses the band's freq. in MHz rather than the LTE band numbers)

https://www.mintmobile.com/coverage/ I've attached a sample screenshot...

Put in some addresses you go often, and see what bands cover those areas. As long as either 2 (1900MHz), 4 (2100MHz), or 12 (700MHz) are there, the 6s should have coverage. Band 71 will be listed as "600MHz". In the screenshot I attached, 600 is weaker at that location than 700 (600 should have coverage outside and in cars, where 700 should also have coverage in houses and commercial buildings.)

The map probably overstates "Mint's" (T-Mo's) coverage a little, but it should give you at least a rough idea of what you're getting into.

If you really want to test T-Mo coverage (incl. band 71) you can do it for free. The T-Mobile Test Drive is a program where T-Mo sends you a T-Mobile Hotspot and SIM with 30 days of service or 30GB of data, which ever comes first. In theory, you're supposed to keep the hotspot in your pocket and use your existing phone set to use WiFi calling. (That way you don't interrupt your existing number/service, but connect via T-Mo towers through the hotspot to test if T-Mo service works where you go.)

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Very Very Helpful- Thanks!

Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FreeUp, FreedomPop US & MX, Toggle UK, Piranha, Netzclub DE, Simyo ES, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    If you're wanting to check coverage in your area, take a look to see if there's any data on cellmapper.net. Even if no one has reported any data points in your local neighborhood, you'll probably at least be able to see what bands are used at the nearby towers by each provider.