Thread: Places to port out number that don't use mobile data/wifi?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S10 5G, Samsung Tab S4, Blackberry KEY 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Places to port out number that don't use mobile data/wifi?

I'm finally going to switch to AT&T at the end of the year after the note 20 comes out so i can decide on what I want to get as a new phone... Verizon has gotten to an unusable point here and they will not fix their service... when I switch I don't want my number attached to my plan... Is there any place i can put my number and still be able to use it? Don't want Google Voice and Text now but something that I can call and text with over traditional calling and texting instead of over mobile data or wifi which is very limited and slow here... anything like that or do i absolutely have to attach my number to my sim card to get what I want? Still trying to decide what I want but i might go into AT&Ts business plan

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5+, Any and all Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitieiii View Post
    I'm finally going to switch to AT&T at the end of the year after the note 20 comes out so i can decide on what I want to get as a new phone... Verizon has gotten to an unusable point here and they will not fix their service... when I switch I don't want my number attached to my plan... Is there any place i can put my number and still be able to use it? Don't want Google Voice and Text now but something that I can call and text with over traditional calling and texting instead of over mobile data or wifi which is very limited and slow here... anything like that or do i absolutely have to attach my number to my sim card to get what I want? Still trying to decide what I want but i might go into AT&Ts business plan

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk
    I don't think you have that many options other than you've already mentioned: some kind of VoIP (Google Voice, Text Now, etc) that uses data, or a traditional SIM that uses cellular minutes.

If you want to party like it's 1999, you could port it to a landline (or a broadband provider's equivalent), but I suspect a cellular service of some kind would be more convenient and cheaper.

If you don't really need to use the number much, but just want to keep it, you could park it in Google Voice and set it up to automatically forward to any other number of your choice, but that assumes you already have another number ready to go for that. Then you could port it from Google Voice to your new AT&T service at the end of the year when you switch. (Which to me was the most baffling part of your post. Why are you waiting until year end to switch providers? Because that's when some new magical phone is being released? Why not get working service now on some cheap throwaway phone, or even your existing phone if unlocked, and upgrade to the UberFone 3000 at year end when released?)

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011