Thread: Total Wireless Data

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score

Total Wireless Data

So here is the events of whats been happening to my Total wireless accounts.

May 1st at 12 am my data quit working on my iPhone X. I'm auto refill so I knew that wasn't the issue. I was working midnights so I was all night without data. The following day I called TW and was I thought getting somewhere. I asked my Fiance if her data was working. It was.... On WiFi. but she too had no Data. I explained that to the rep and they said they would have to do a check on her phone as well. Keep in mind this ended up being several phone calls and several different Reps. One of the Reps had suggested to get a new Sim card which I ended up doing. And it fixed my iPhone X data problem. So I bought another sim card for her iPhone 8, but she still had no data. They insisted it was a phone issue. I new better. I ended up taking her phone to a TW store, and they troubleshot the phone. They could only get data on 3G and told us to leave the settings set on 3G only. Otherwise she wouldn't have data at all. This was all the first week in May. The store rep said they know they have a problem, and are working on it. Something to do with the Provider update that is downloaded to our phones. I was told to download the new update to Both the phones, but it didn't fix either one. So here I am a month later expecting them to fix the problem, assuming there are many others with this problem as well.????? Well, tonight, 5/31 - 6/1 at Midnight.... My iphone X has lost its data again. I'm about to leave TW over this issue. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Feedback Score
    This may not be relevant since it's not in the time frame you referenced, but my sons had TW on iPhones from 2016 until March, 2020, and didn't experience any issues.

I also haven't read about others having issues similar to what you reported.

I hadn't realized that TW had exclusive physical stores, but I see now that they do. It's too bad they couldn't help in your situation!

Feedback Score
    Oh, as far as suggestions, have you tried resetting network settings?

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Do you know if Verizon is working on theirs towers in your area? Are you in an area with high COVID-19 counts?

I know Verizon has been working getting their towers better since people has been staying home from COVID-19.

Plus Total Wireless is a Verizon MVNO, and Verizon could be really really slowing your LTE. It is so that Verizon postpaid users have better speeds.

Switching to 3G is not the best because Verizon is going to drop their CDMA network.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I never had issues for two years and had bragged about the service. Not so now.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I had considered a tower issue but the problem was still there after the two hour drive to the store. Then last week I had the Fiancé try it while in NC. 8 hours away. Still no luck.

Feedback Score
    I know very little about iPhones, but maybe there is an APN issue. That seems to be a common problem.

You can try texting APN to 611611 and follow the instructions.

Otherwise, the folks with iPhones probably have info about this.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Sounds like it could be something that is killing SIM cards or messing up settings then.

I had a friend on Verizon postpaid that his phone still had CDMA, but had no LTE. He went to the Verizon store. For some reason, his SIM card died. The store does not know why or how that happened because he used that SIM for months with no issues. They replaced the SIM, and it worked again.

Feedback Score
    Have you tried using paragraphs or spacing? I'm sure people with pertinent insight passed on reading this WOT.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.38 otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 07.08.20

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Have you tried using paragraphs or spacing? I'm sure people with pertinent insight passed on reading this WOT.
    If people like to help, they will try.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3XL
    Feedback Score
    I'm in the same boat. Used to brag about their service but then suddenly about a couple of months ago my data is unbearably slow to the point that pages often time out. I called customer service today and was told my phone was not compatible even though I've been using it for about a year now (pixel 3 xl). She said that once the system recognized it was not a supported phone, it essentially shut off my data. Don't know if that's true or not, but if so, I will have to find another service provider

Device(s)
    Pixel 3XL
    Feedback Score
    Hmm, now I'm confused. I just checked my phone on the Total wireless compatibility checker:
    https://www.totalwireless.com/activa...sn?carrier=VZW
    And it is compatible. I guess I'll try ordering a new "BYOP sim card" and see if it works unless anyone has other thoughts?

Feedback Score
    This has been happening. Use Chat and ask for your SIM to be "provisioned" again. It is accidentally getting un-provisioned for some reason. Verizon messing around with upgrades or something.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3XL
    Feedback Score
    For an update, my data speeds went from crawling so slow that pages would often time out while attempting to load, to 100mbs/sec😮

The issue was me upgrading my phone by transferring the the SIM card from old phone to new last year. Turns out you have to buy a new BYOP sim card Everytime you get a new phone. I don't think this is a total wireless issue, but rather Verizon kicking the phone off data when the sim card is not specifically registered the phone being used. I picked up the sim card for $0.99 from target.
    After transferring your plan and phone to the new sim card, you can further optimize everything by texting the word "LTE" to 611611. Then text "APN" to the same number. My data speeds is now better than before Verizon kicked me off data 2 months ago. I don't know why it took them that long to realize I was using a sim card registered to a different phone, but now all is well.