Thread: What is the top speed if you are limited to 480p Video?

Feedback Score

What is the top speed if you are limited to 480p Video?

I know some of Sprint will limit/throttle your video to 480p, depending on the type of Unlimited Plan, while other plans allow for video speeds up to 1080p.

I have one of the older unlimited plans that doesn't have any stated restrictions that I can find. However, that doesn't mean they don't exist.

I have used Speedtest and Fast.com to check speeds. Can someone please provide a general range/correlation between speed and video resolution? If my speed on Fast.com routinely exceeds 10-20 MBs, could that mean that my unlimited planm may not be as restrictive as some of the newer plans?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    anything 10+Mbps is at least 1080i, 15+Mbps you'll be able to do 4k.

I'm on the current unlimited premium plan, and mine has never throttled video.

If i remember correctly, when I had the kickstart plan it was ~1.5-2Mbps when I'd go to fast.com
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Feedback Score
    Sprint analyzes the the data to see if it is video or not.

So your download speed could be 150 mbs but when you play a video sprint sees the traffic is a video stream and throttles it down to 480p resolution .

They throttle back the video streams and not other web usage.

(Sidenote; Megabits (Not Mega-bytes) per second is a measurement of data transfer speed and 480p is a measurement of the number of pixels on your screen. They are related because the less pixels the less data Sprint needs to transfer.)

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Yes, but on the plans the OP and I have.. they do not restrict the download speed

This is actually one of the reasons I'm on the specific plan that I am

For instance, when I'm somewhere with garbage wifi, waiting to board a plane and I cache things offline on Netflix, I can pull 100Mbps+ easily when it's caching

When I was on the Kickstarter plan trying it out, 2Mbps max.. no matter how fast I'd get in a speedtest.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Yes, but on the plans the OP and I have.. they do not restrict the download speed

This is actually one of the reasons I'm on the specific plan that I am

For instance, when I'm somewhere with garbage wifi, waiting to board a plane and I cache things offline on Netflix, I can pull 100Mbps+ easily when it's caching

When I was on the Kickstarter plan trying it out, 2Mbps max.. no matter how fast I'd get in a speedtest.
    Wow, would be nice to have a plan like that. Guess, i will be content with Unlimited Basic.

Feedback Score
    With the current plan offerings by Sprint, if I would upgrade from Unlimited Basic, do you expect I would get better Network priority?