Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Unlocking + Porting out -- too ambitious?

Feedback Score

Unlocking + Porting out -- too ambitious?

So I have this HSN Moto E5 bundle. I plan on getting it unlocked at the end of my 1 year of service. Just for the heck of it, I am also thinking of porting out my number after the year is up.

Tracfone’s unlocking policy says (https://www.tfwunlockpolicy.com) –
    “ - Customers must have had their locked device activated on TracFone service for no fewer than 12 months, redeemed air time cards in no fewer than 12 months, and not have had their telephone number recycled or ported.
    - Customers must request this interim unlocking solution while their service is active or within 60 days after their active service days expire. This 60-day grace period applies even if the customer's telephone number was recycled or ported.”

Could the knowledgeable folks here please tell me if this order of doing things will help me achieve unlocking plus porting out –
    1. As soon as the 12 months are up, request unlock code from Tracfone.
    2. Hopefully, unlocking works without a hitch, and phone is unlocked within say, a week.
    3. Since Tracfone’s phone numbers remain live for some time (a month?), port out the phone number to a different carrier.

Will this work? Thanks for your help as always!

(BTW, I have never ported out any of my numbers so I am a total newbie with port-outs! When I sign up for prepaid deals, I just ask for a new number)

Feedback Score
    I have a serious problem with this part: "redeemed air time cards in no fewer than 12 months".

What the heck does that mean? One cannot have added any additional airtime during the year? What if one needs texts or something like that?

With this wording, that would disqualify the unlocking.

I have always thought the wording was messed up.

Anyway, I have not heard of anyone becoming disqualified because of that.

But I have heard of Verizon reclaiming phone numbers as soon as the days run out. There is a grace period for the airtime/account. Also, AT&T seems to have a generous grace period before reclaiming phone numbers.

So you might want to ask about how long the phone number will stay alive to port it. Or sometimes the unlocking can be done a few days before the year is up. Or you could buy an extra $10 or so plan and have more time to do the port. I don't know how appealing that is.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jettable View Post
    I have never ported out any of my numbers so I am a total newbie with port-outs!
    When you port out, you'll need to give the new provider the phone number to be ported in, the account number, and the PIN. You don't need to notify the current provider. I don't know what TF uses for account number. You can read what people posted on Reddit or Chat with TF and ask.

I recently signed up with AT&T, T-mo, and Sprint to do their BYOP deals which require porting in, so I have quite a bit of experience with it (ported in 13 phone numbers ). All of the porting was done within 48 hrs of submitting the requests

Feedback Score
    I'll further the point. Don't tell your current provider you're stopping service with them! They will cancel your number & it will be lost to you.

Only tell your new provider. Once the number port is complete your previous carriers service is dropped.

Be sure you have all the proper info you need for your new carrier to port your number. Ask them.

Some carriers require certain info to release (port out) a number that info can be different than what your new carrier requires.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.38 otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 07.08.20

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I recently signed up with AT&T, T-mo, and Sprint to do their BYOP deals which require porting in, so I have quite a bit of experience with it (ported in 13 phone numbers ). All of the porting was done within 48 hrs of submitting the requests
    Where do you get the energy for that? I can barely tolerate two phones.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Where do you get the energy for that? I can barely tolerate two phones.
    I'm retired, have plenty of time on my hands, like to do deals to make some money (over $3K with all these deals). I enjoy doing it and it keeps my mind sharp.

Feedback Score
    I have a serious problem with this part: "redeemed air time cards in no fewer than 12 months".

What the heck does that mean? One cannot have added any additional airtime during the year? What if one needs texts or something like that?

With this wording, that would disqualify the unlocking.

I have always thought the wording was messed up.

Anyway, I have not heard of anyone becoming disqualified because of that.
    The bundle deals are a hook to get you into the Tracfone system. Their assumption is you will use up the bonus talk minutes before the service time runs out. They make their money by selling airtime.

People have been refused unlock if they never purchased additional airtime. The airtime from a bundle is not considered purchased, but a "bonus". I believe even a small airtime purchase during the 12 months service will qualify.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    and it keeps my mind sharp.
    That`s the important part that you don`t want to outlive.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    The bundle deals are a hook to get you into the Tracfone system. Their assumption is you will use up the bonus talk minutes before the service time runs out. They make their money by selling airtime.

People have been refused unlock if they never purchased additional airtime. The airtime from a bundle is not considered purchased, but a "bonus". I believe even a small airtime purchase during the 12 months service will qualify.
    But the wording in the rules is backward. It should be "redeemed air time cards in no more than 12 months". That's why it doesn't make sense. They need to re-write everything without the high-falutin wording. The standard is 8th grade English for these things.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    But the wording in the rules is backward. It should be "redeemed air time cards in no more than 12 months". That's why it doesn't make sense. They need to re-write everything without the high-falutin wording. The standard is 8th grade English for these things.
    I think what they wanted to say is "must redeem airtime cards for no fewer than 12 months of service", not ""redeemed air time cards in no fewer than 12 months".

Feedback Score
    I think what they wanted to say is "must redeem airtime cards for no fewer than 12 months of service", not ""redeemed air time cards in no fewer than 12 months".
    I would say "must redeem airtime cards during no fewer than 12 months of service". Point is they want you to buy more airtime after the "bonus" bundle talk minutes are used up. It is legalese anyway, so the intent and interpretation are often difficult.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I would say "must redeem airtime cards during no fewer than 12 months of service". Point is they want you to buy more airtime after the "bonus" bundle talk minutes are used up.
    But not everyone buys a phone with a bundled airtime. If someone buys a stand-alone phone and adds a 1-year card to activate service, then what you say doesn't apply.

Feedback Score
    They seem to be using only the one-year thing anyway, so no matter.

Feedback Score
    But not everyone buys a phone with a bundled airtime. If someone buys a stand-alone phone and adds a 1-year card to activate service, then what you say doesn't apply.
    True, but the OP is on bundled airtime now. They need to get some purchased airtime in the account.

Feedback Score

I know that Tracfone is not always consistent in applying rules, but....
    We have 2 Tracfone lines that both had some accumulated airtime & units.
    We transferred to new phones on the same lines-- Fiesta 2's that came in a bundle with a year of time + units.
    After 1 year + a few days, both Fiesta 2's were successfully unlocked via the online unlock request portal.
    No additional refills or add-ons were added during that year.
    So, at least in my case, the bundled year of service did qualify for unlocking.
    (FWIW, I had checked one or both of the phones a few weeks before the year was up, and neither qualified at that point.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast