Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is this true about Verizon MVNO's

Feedback Score

Is this true about Verizon MVNO's

I read a posting in this forum a while back which stated that when it comes to data deprioritization, all Vz mvno's are the same. The posting also stated not to waste money searching for better deprioritized data speeds by porting your number to different companies. Thanks for your feedback.

Sent from my SM-T580 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I think that's true. VZW won't be bothered to have different levels of deprioritization for MVNO's.
    However, I think this is sometimes mistakenly understand as being throttling.

Feedback Score
    i don't think we will ever be able to get a certain answer to the question. no carrier shares with the public the intricate details of how they prioritize and de-prioritize different customers.

also if you are de prioritized how it effects you could involve many variables and most likely only be relevant during the most congested times and the busiest towers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sevillelady View Post
    I read a posting in this forum a while back which stated that when it comes to data deprioritization, all Vz mvno's are the same. The posting also stated not to waste money searching for better deprioritized data speeds by porting your number to different companies. Thanks for your feedback.
    I don't recall ever seeing Verizon saying what their MVNO deprioritization is, if any. Though, my guess is that MVNOs do have somewhat lower priority for LTE data speed. I think the real answer is nobody knows other than Verizon, and they are unlikely to tell us.

I would not bother switching between MVNOs trying to find the least depri. It is nearly impossible to prove which is better. It would take comparing speeds with service on several with the same phone model at the same time and place to even guess.

I have been using Verizon with Tracfone for years. I almost always get good usable speeds at a variety of times and places.

Feedback Score
    As someone who's used Verizon postpaid, Verizon Prepaid, Straight Talk, and now Total Wireless in the last three years, I can tell you with certainty that if MNVO's are prioritized lower, it's unnoticeable to the average user. I live in what you would call a congested area where that kind of thing would be important, and I can tell you that I've never noticed a reason to pay extra for Verizon-branded service. I actually ported to Verizon prepaid for this reason for a while and ported back to Total Wireless after a couple months and didn't see a difference in service.

Device(s)
    Motorola G4 Plus, Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    No it isn't true. It seems with 5G rolling out, prioritization is the same for the MVNO as it is for Verizon or at least very very close. Check out Xfinity's updated By the Gig plans and US Mobile's upcoming 5G plans for examples.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    As someone who's used Verizon postpaid, Verizon Prepaid, Straight Talk, and now Total Wireless in the last three years, I can tell you with certainty that if MNVO's are prioritized lower, it's unnoticeable to the average user.
    Exactly. The people who obsess about deprioritization are the same as those who obsessively run speed tests on their home internet and fret, "OMG, I'm only getting 840 Mbps on my fiber connection on Friday nights at 8:17 p.m.!!" They would have no idea if not for the speed tests.

I was in a pharmacy with my wife a few months ago, before the pandemic hit. She needed to look up something on her phone. Now mind you she couldn't care less about any of these technical details, but she did notice that her phone seemed snappy. She said, "Wow, the WiFi in this store is really fast." I looked over at her phone and she wasn't on WiFi, she was on Red Pocket CDMA LTE (Verizon) that she barely uses because she uses WiFi at work and an iPad at home. So much for deprioritization.

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sevillelady View Post

Sent from my SM-T580 using HoFo mobile app
    I remember the post you're talking about, and your recollection is correct. I don't remember the specifics, but I think they had only few prioritization levels. Something like priority 1 = Highest priority; 2 = standard postpaid before deprioritization threshold; 3 = lowest priority (post-paid after data threshold / prepaid / MVNO).

As noted above, most of the time the prioritization won't matter -- but it would in a crowded place with a lot of data usage (rush hour commuting is my common example in the NYC area, but sporting events / concerts / etc. are others.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Just an example of a couple of Verizon MVNO plans with high level network priority that should be on par with or very close to Verizon postpaid.

Name:  Screenshot_20200527-092752_Chrome_1.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  42.6 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20200527-092621_Chrome_1o.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  44.6 KB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MVNO Joe View Post
    Just an example of a couple of Verizon MVNO plans with high level network priority that should be on par with or very close to Verizon postpaid.
    Interesting. What MVNO is that? The prices mentioned are bordering on postpaid level.

Otherwise, as several have mentioned, most don't notice any problem with being lower priority.

I don't really care if I get 3 Mbps or 300. Either and in between works fine for what I want to do on a phone while mobile.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    This may be congestion, but I went back to the Verizon network (on a MVNO) and I've hit spots around my town that are very slow. But it may be similar in those areas directly with Verizon. So hard to compare apples to apples.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Interesting. What MVNO is that? The prices mentioned are bordering on postpaid level.

Otherwise, as several have mentioned, most don't notice any problem with being lower priority.

I don't really care if I get 3 Mbps or 300. Either and in between works fine for what I want to do on a phone while mobile.
    Xfinity and US Mobile

Feedback Score
    Please test your data throughput after grid power fails and everyone starts watching game of thrones or cucker tarlson using cellular data. Then let us know the difference between zero and zero if you see any? Thank you.

Carrier(s)
    ATT, TMO, VZ
    Feedback Score
    OP's statement is true with 4G. With 5G, the MVNOs may have been able to get a different prioritization. I had Xfinity, VZ postpaid and VZ prepaid and Vz Postpaid and Xfinity by the gig would be able to stream with no problems at congested areas while the VZ prepaid would buffer and glitch. This was tested on a number of occasions even with full bars on the phones. Xfinity in the past year or so changed over for whatever reason to the MVNO / prepaid prioritization and you can tell the difference. With the recent advertising of the 5G, they may have been able to renegotiate the priority on 4G but I have not been able to test it out while staying at home during these times.

Feedback Score
    Last night around 8pm, I tested data speeds with an i8 on Net 10 and 6s on Boom, both VZ. The data speeds were virtually identical. Both posted unusable data speeds at 0.1mbps down. I don't know where the towers are located in conjunction with the test, or amount of traffic, just posting my observations.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast