Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: “Unpaid balance on account” on garage sale phone.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    106
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Truphone
    Feedback Score
    0

    “Unpaid balance on account” on garage sale phone.

    Just bought a AT&T Samsung Galaxy S5 at a garage sale in excellent condition. Ran it through the AT&T unlock portal and it came back “unpaid balance on account” , so I can’t get it unlocked for free. Swappa says it’s ON the whitelist and NOT on the blacklist. My question is will it still work if I pop another AT&T SIM card in it? I don’t currently have an AT&T sim.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    19,313
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Keep in mind, even if it isn't on the "blacklist" for an unpaid balance, it can be at any time by At&t and without warning to you. Technically, the issue is with the prior owner and At&t. If they choose to blacklist it, it will be useless on any US carrier, no guarantees either way. Just be aware of the possibility.
    Just another day in paradise.....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,471
    Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipy View Post
    Just bought a AT&T Samsung Galaxy S5 at a garage sale in excellent condition. Ran it through the AT&T unlock portal and it came back “unpaid balance on account” , so I can’t get it unlocked for free. Swappa says it’s ON the whitelist and NOT on the blacklist. My question is will it still work if I pop another AT&T SIM card in it? I don’t currently have an AT&T sim.
    Sometimes it’s cheap to unlock from eBay sellers. iPhones are expensive to unlock on eBay with unpaid balances. Buy a cheap H2O SIM card for $1 to see if it’s already unlocked.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    106
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Truphone
    Feedback Score
    0
    It’s definitely not unlocked. I tried a T-Mobile sim in it and it asks for an unlock code. Very cheap unlock code on eBay though, $1.00. We shall see!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    94
    Device(s)
    Htc Evo 4G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipy View Post
    It’s definitely not unlocked. I tried a T-Mobile sim in it and it asks for an unlock code. Very cheap unlock code on eBay though, $1.00. We shall see!
    I have a stupid question, say the phone is blacklisted can it be used on any other carriers?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4,049
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    Sometimes it’s cheap to unlock from eBay sellers. iPhones are expensive to unlock on eBay with unpaid balances. Buy a cheap H2O SIM card for $1 to see if it’s already unlocked.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    H2O SIM’s don’t require AT&T phones to be unlocked to work. I operate an H2O store.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

    Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)


    Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    106
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Truphone
    Feedback Score
    0
    I tried my Truphone sim and it also asked for the code. Truphone uses AT&T?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Western MA
    Posts
    1,875
    Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    0
    Truphone is actually a UK SIM that roams on AT&T.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,774
    Feedback Score
    0
    Sounds blacklisted & blacklisted is different than locked. Afaik an unlocked phone can be blacklisted & not work on American carriers.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

    Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.38 otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 07.08.20

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    19,313
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Sounds blacklisted & blacklisted is different than locked. Afaik an unlocked phone can be blacklisted & not work on American carriers.
    Agreed 100%.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    10
    Feedback Score
    0
    The seller did not pay off the phone or there is a remaining balance on the account, while the phone was under a contract. That is why you are seeing "unpaid balance on account".
    Its not white listed or blacklisted. The phone was never paid off or seller owes money to AT&T.


    I suggested you go back to the seller and get your money back or have them provide documentation, that the phone was paid off or account has been cleared and there are no debt.

    Stop by a local AT&T store with the phone and get a print out on paper, which clearly states the issue.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,774
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by KGB7 View Post
    The seller did not pay off the phone or there is a remaining balance on the account, while the phone was under a contract. That is why you are seeing "unpaid balance on account".
    Its not white listed or blacklisted. The phone was never paid off or seller owes money to AT&T.


    I suggested you go back to the seller and get your money back or have them provide documentation, that the phone was paid off or account has been cleared and there are no debt.

    Stop by a local AT&T store with the phone and get a print out on paper, which clearly states the issue.
    An AT&T store will give OP nothing it's a 2014 phone & he's not the registered owner. I do believe it's blacklisted for non-payment.

    And a refund for what a $10-$20 phone at a garage sale. No.

    If it was a 2018-2020 phone at an AT&T store they'll think he's the deadbeat, the deadbeat's partner, the person who stole the phone or someone who has possession of stolen property.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    89
    Feedback Score
    0
    Hope you didn't have to give them more than $20 for the phone. At least you have a good iPad. It might have been on one of AT&T's MVNO's like Cricket and didn't get paid off.

    Don't panic until you try the H2O sim. Or get on AT&T website and see if they will unlock it. If that's no go it's still quite usable on WIFI. I have several smart phones lying around to experiment with apps before I put them on my good phone. Google Voice, GrooveIP, Textnow can be installed to make phone calls using WiFi.

    Get a Hotspot. Can carry it with you along with the iPhone. Get a Hotspot. Put it in one pocket, the phone in another.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    698
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Agreed 100%.
    What 100% ?
    I am always using blacklist phone with IMEI changing trick...



    Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    19,313
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    We will not discuss how to commit fraud by using an IMEI changing trick on this forum. I am not arguing it cannot be done, just that it will not be discussed further here.

    Thread closed.

Similar Threads

  1. T-Mobile Prepaid Account on the 5GB $30 plan with $161 balance for sale
    By oldertwin in forum Take over my phone plan
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-09-2015, 11:37 AM
  2. used phone with a balance on account
    By jimf1969 in forum HTC
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-29-2011, 10:55 PM
  3. Whoa! Garage sale on hockey equipment, computer stuff, microwave oven
    By e-man in forum Other Buy/Sell/Trade Archive
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-30-2003, 09:23 PM
  4. Working account on stolen phone?
    By dangatt in forum AT&T
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-04-2002, 03:16 PM
  5. Pop3 account on phone?
    By kcrowe in forum Sprint
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-02-2002, 05:40 PM

Bookmarks