Thread: “Unpaid balance on account” on garage sale phone.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Truphone
    Feedback Score

“Unpaid balance on account” on garage sale phone.

Just bought a AT&T Samsung Galaxy S5 at a garage sale in excellent condition. Ran it through the AT&T unlock portal and it came back “unpaid balance on account” , so I can’t get it unlocked for free. Swappa says it’s ON the whitelist and NOT on the blacklist. My question is will it still work if I pop another AT&T SIM card in it? I don’t currently have an AT&T sim.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Keep in mind, even if it isn't on the "blacklist" for an unpaid balance, it can be at any time by At&t and without warning to you. Technically, the issue is with the prior owner and At&t. If they choose to blacklist it, it will be useless on any US carrier, no guarantees either way. Just be aware of the possibility.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipy View Post
    Just bought a AT&T Samsung Galaxy S5 at a garage sale in excellent condition. Ran it through the AT&T unlock portal and it came back “unpaid balance on account” , so I can’t get it unlocked for free. Swappa says it’s ON the whitelist and NOT on the blacklist. My question is will it still work if I pop another AT&T SIM card in it? I don’t currently have an AT&T sim.
    Sometimes it’s cheap to unlock from eBay sellers. iPhones are expensive to unlock on eBay with unpaid balances. Buy a cheap H2O SIM card for $1 to see if it’s already unlocked.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Truphone
    Feedback Score
    It’s definitely not unlocked. I tried a T-Mobile sim in it and it asks for an unlock code. Very cheap unlock code on eBay though, $1.00. We shall see!

Device(s)
    Htc Evo 4G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipy View Post
    It’s definitely not unlocked. I tried a T-Mobile sim in it and it asks for an unlock code. Very cheap unlock code on eBay though, $1.00. We shall see!
    I have a stupid question, say the phone is blacklisted can it be used on any other carriers?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    Sometimes it’s cheap to unlock from eBay sellers. iPhones are expensive to unlock on eBay with unpaid balances. Buy a cheap H2O SIM card for $1 to see if it’s already unlocked.

H2O SIM’s don’t require AT&T phones to be unlocked to work. I operate an H2O store.

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Truphone
    Feedback Score
    I tried my Truphone sim and it also asked for the code. Truphone uses AT&T?

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    Truphone is actually a UK SIM that roams on AT&T.

Feedback Score
    Sounds blacklisted & blacklisted is different than locked. Afaik an unlocked phone can be blacklisted & not work on American carriers.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.38 otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 07.08.20

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Sounds blacklisted & blacklisted is different than locked. Afaik an unlocked phone can be blacklisted & not work on American carriers.
    Agreed 100%.

Feedback Score
    The seller did not pay off the phone or there is a remaining balance on the account, while the phone was under a contract. That is why you are seeing "unpaid balance on account".
    Its not white listed or blacklisted. The phone was never paid off or seller owes money to AT&T.

I suggested you go back to the seller and get your money back or have them provide documentation, that the phone was paid off or account has been cleared and there are no debt.

Stop by a local AT&T store with the phone and get a print out on paper, which clearly states the issue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KGB7 View Post
    The seller did not pay off the phone or there is a remaining balance on the account, while the phone was under a contract. That is why you are seeing "unpaid balance on account".
    Its not white listed or blacklisted. The phone was never paid off or seller owes money to AT&T.

I suggested you go back to the seller and get your money back or have them provide documentation, that the phone was paid off or account has been cleared and there are no debt.

Stop by a local AT&T store with the phone and get a print out on paper, which clearly states the issue.
    An AT&T store will give OP nothing it's a 2014 phone & he's not the registered owner. I do believe it's blacklisted for non-payment.

And a refund for what a $10-$20 phone at a garage sale. No.

If it was a 2018-2020 phone at an AT&T store they'll think he's the deadbeat, the deadbeat's partner, the person who stole the phone or someone who has possession of stolen property.

Feedback Score
    Hope you didn't have to give them more than $20 for the phone. At least you have a good iPad. It might have been on one of AT&T's MVNO's like Cricket and didn't get paid off.

Don't panic until you try the H2O sim. Or get on AT&T website and see if they will unlock it. If that's no go it's still quite usable on WIFI. I have several smart phones lying around to experiment with apps before I put them on my good phone. Google Voice, GrooveIP, Textnow can be installed to make phone calls using WiFi.

Get a Hotspot. Can carry it with you along with the iPhone. Get a Hotspot. Put it in one pocket, the phone in another.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Agreed 100%.
    What 100% ?
    I am always using blacklist phone with IMEI changing trick...

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    We will not discuss how to commit fraud by using an IMEI changing trick on this forum. I am not arguing it cannot be done, just that it will not be discussed further here.

Thread closed.