Thread: Missing LTE on the 2GB $15 Plan

Feedback Score

Missing LTE on the 2GB $15 Plan

Put a SIM with a $15/mo 2GB service, which renewed recently, and a SIM with a $300/year 8GB service into a dual SIM (Unihertz Atom) Android phone. The 2GB SIM service stays at 3G, while the 8GB SIM service has HD voice with LTE. Swapping the two SIMs do not help.
    Placing the 2GB SIM into an iPhone, the phone says 4G, 4 bars, field test does not list LTE (Q modem). The 8GB SIM has 5Ge, 3 bars and LTE.
    Is this normal?

Feedback Score
    So you're saying if you move the 2GB SIM to the other SIM slot it still remains at 3G? If so that's a problem.

If the 2GB then has LTE. That would mean 1 SIM on your phone is only 3G capable. And that is on purpose, done deliberately by Unihertz makers.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.38 otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 07.08.20

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    So you're saying if you move the 2GB SIM to the other SIM slot it still remains at 3G? If so that's a problem.
    Swapping SIMs, swaps the status too. I believe the Atom can swap the "radios" between SIM slots, so on an iPhone8, there is one slot only and there is no LTE on the 2GB SIM. The 8GB SIM works, has the inflated 5Ge icon. The 2GB SIM gives an also inflated 4G icon, without LTE.
    Strange, I don't remember having this problem during the first month of service. Run speed tests, both behaved similarly. Then kept the 2GB SIM in a 3G only flip phone. Could that cause this?

Feedback Score
    It's the phone. Only 1 SIM slot is LTE.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    How old is your 2GB SIM card? I ask because no phone at all is giving you LTE service. Unless I am misunderstanding you.

If your 2GB SIM card doesn't work in anybody's phone (even a friend's or relative's phone) then you must have an old or defective SIM card with your 2GB plan.

Years ago, when I bought a Note 4, I had to get a new SIM card in order to get LTE service.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    Koodo: Unlimited Canada Talk, World Text, 8+9 GB Data
    AT&T: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, 8+17 GB data

Feedback Score
    It's the phone. Only 1 SIM slot is LTE.
    Having two 8GB SIM in the phone, both line has HD 4G icon.

Should the 2GB and the 8GB SIM behave similarly in an iPhone?

Feedback Score
    Ok thanks for the clarification.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Night_Owl View Post
    How old is your 2GB SIM card? I ask because no phone at all is giving you LTE service. Unless I am misunderstanding you.

If your 2GB SIM card doesn't work in anybody's phone (even a friend's or relative's phone) then you must have an old or defective SIM card with your 2GB plan.

Years ago, when I bought a Note 4, I had to get a new SIM card in order to get LTE service.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    The SIM is couple of years old, got it as a spare after the iPhone8 came out.

In this April, after activating the service I was running speed tests between the 2GB and the 8GB SIM and did not see much difference. I was seeing 30-40 Mbits/s down and 20-is up using an iPhone8. Perhaps I was not paying attention, since the iPhone said 4G.

After first renewal a week ago, having more data, I was going to speed test again. Put the SIM into the Atom and noticed the 3G icon. As I wrote above, the Atom has two HD 4G icons when two 8GB SIMs are in it. Replacing one of the SIM with the 2GB SIM, one icon goes to 3G.

I have a fresh SIM also for a $15 2GB plan where port in did not complete. So having two 2GB SIMs, one completed activation, the other without a phone number and unpaid, the Atom shows two 3G icons.

Feedback Score
    Ok thanks for the clarification.
    Purchased the plan to save some over the 8GB service, because 2GB is more than enough, even the 128kb/s is fine for checking emails.
    Before I was a Cricket subscriber, but last summer it became so slow at my place, that even iMessages got delayed by tens of seconds.
    If this 2GB service falls in that category that will be useless too.
    Decisions, decisions...
    Thank you for your help.