Thread: Phone locked out

Feedback Score

Phone locked out

Know someone who's iPhone will not allow access anymore. I assume it has a screen lock. Person does not know anything about having an Apple ID, or accessing anything like iTunes. Phone is a couple of years old, and not known if an Apple account was set up at the time of activation. The local store where it was bought is notorious for poor support, and says it's an Apple issue. What to do?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sorry, but out of precaution most stores are reluctant to help in situations like you described out of fear that the phone may have been stolen. Does your friend have any proof of purchase ? This is nothing unique to any phone or store. Your friend may attempt to contact Apple directly but not a whole lot of other options for a security-locked phone.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Your friend may attempt to contact Apple directly but not a whole lot of other options for a security-locked phone.
    What I am concerned about is the lock is local to the phone, and not to the Apple account. I see a number of options for accounts on the Apple support pages, but many of the things require phone access which is not useful here. There is a way to check if you actually have an account. I had them start by first calling the local Apple store for some guidance.

Feedback Score
    Try purchasing a software from imyfone.com
    I used it and it helped me unlock.
    Last edited by Serial Port; 05-28-2020 at 12:06 PM. Reason: hyperlink disabled as SPAM

Feedback Score
    Acutally, you can unlock your iPhone via Resetting Password, by using iTunes, via Recovery Mode. About the details, you can check online. Hope it will help you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qihsger View Post
    Acutally, you can unlock your iPhone via Resetting Password, by using iTunes, via Recovery Mode. About the details, you can check online. Hope it will help you.
    Better information was found in further searching. The first attempt to access Apple support was not good, but better support was later found. It changed when the Apple stores reopened last week, and the direction improved. Before that, calling a store went to some lousy off-shore CS. What the better CS said was what I eventually found online from Apple.

If you are locked out of the phone by too many failed attempts to unlock the screen by passcode, it requires a total erase. Android phones have this too called "Factory Data Reset". One difference is that an iPhone defaults on having you initially set up a passcode, while an Android does not.

Once unlocked it was found that no Apple accounts were ever set up. I had suspected this when an earlier inquiry for the Apple ID failed. No iTunes or iCloud, so no way to do a restore. Not a big deal, as there was very little ever on that phone. This is an XR, and way overkill for the little it's used. It was bought from an unscrupulous local Verizon Authorized Retailer with no support. They just activate it and send you on your way. If you have a problem they tell you to go to Apple. Verizon corporate stores have been closed with the shutdown.