Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: New Tracfone LG Classic Flip L125DL Quick Review

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ajholik View Post
    ................Hotspot works! Tracfone and other affiliates support hotspot on certain devices and plans.
    The only TF affiliates that have plans that include HotSpot are StraightTalk and TotalWireless the last I checked. TF itself doesn't.
    Most phones support it, but if it's not on your plan it's a no no to use it.

Feedback Score
    I also bought a Classic Flip (from Tracfone) and use it on PagePlus. It works well, except that I live in a marginal area -- on my desk it falls back to 1X/3G, two feet away it does 4G. The problem is that 3G doesn't recognize me -- I get "Welcome to Verizon Wireless, please hold..." and incoming calls go to voicemail. The only indication on the status bar is the faint/unreadable 3G or 4G symbol with a line through it.

Why doesn't 3G work? The SIM came from PagePlus with a MyFlip (the MyFlip's bars show searching when not doing 4G). I tried a Tracfone Samsung J3; it behaves the same as the Classic ("Welcome to.."). Tracfone said to call PagePlus; PagePlus said everything is configured correctly. Could it be the SIM..?

I find no way to turn off 3G on the phone so I get a more obvious indication, e.g. "Searching for Service". Any suggestons? I guess it will be solved when 3G goes away..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wymby View Post
    I also bought a Classic Flip (from Tracfone) and use it on PagePlus. It works well, except that I live in a marginal area -- on my desk it falls back to 1X/3G, two feet away it does 4G. The problem is that 3G doesn't recognize me -- I get "Welcome to Verizon Wireless, please hold..." and incoming calls go to voicemail. The only indication on the status bar is the faint/unreadable 3G or 4G symbol with a line through it.

Why doesn't 3G work? The SIM came from PagePlus with a MyFlip (the MyFlip's bars show searching when not doing 4G). I tried a Tracfone Samsung J3; it behaves the same as the Classic ("Welcome to.."). Tracfone said to call PagePlus; PagePlus said everything is configured correctly. Could it be the SIM..?

I find no way to turn off 3G on the phone so I get a more obvious indication, e.g. "Searching for Service". Any suggestons? I guess it will be solved when 3G goes away..
    I wonder if your inability to connect to 3g has to do with networks stopped activating 3g phones last year. So that might explain why your 4g works but not 3g.

Phones active before the 3G cutoff date could continue to use 3g until the permanent shut down date, now extended to Dec 2020. Which was why your old phone worked. But since you just activated your Classic, the 3g part of it is now barred.

So when you venture out of 4G range, you don't have another network to switch to.

That's my guess.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RavensRebel View Post
    I wonder if your inability to connect to 3g has to do with networks stopped activating 3g phones last year. So that might explain why your 4g works but not 3g.
    I don't think the LG Classic Flip has CDMA (1x/3G) radios for Verizon, thus the network error message. The MyFlip is also 4G LTE only. These might work on AT&T or T-Mobile 3G.

Feedback Score
    As mentioned, the MyFlip is cdma-less. No 3G (1x). Never saw mentioned in the thread if the Classic is also cdma-less.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Also needs mentioning for those phones with CDMA/3G, that if a 3G tower goes out, they do not repair it this close to shutting down.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RavensRebel View Post

Phones active before the 3G cutoff date could continue to use 3g until the permanent shut down date, now extended to Dec 2020. Which was why your old phone worked. But since you just activated your Classic, the 3g part of it is now barred.
    I think you're right -- that's how an un-activated 3G phone behaves. I should have realized that. TF and PP customer service should have too..

Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    I don't think the LG Classic Flip has CDMA (1x/3G) radios for Verizon, thus the network error message. The MyFlip is also 4G LTE only.
    The Classic does have 3G, hence the "Welcome to Verizon" message. But the MyFlip doesn't, so it searches.

Thank you both. I wish it were easier to tell when it's doing 3G. Better yet would be a stronger (than 3G) 4G signal..

Feedback Score
    The Classic does have 3G, hence the "Welcome to Verizon" message. But the MyFlip doesn't, so it searches.

I wish it were easier to tell when it's doing 3G. Better yet would be a stronger (than 3G) 4G signal..
    The phone may have CDMA capability, but it could be the account may not be provisioned for anything but LTE. Verizon never used 3G for voice anyway, just for EV-DO data. The voice channel is 2G 1xRTT.

It has been long discussed that some users are going to lose their service in areas that don't have VoLTE yet.

Feedback Score
    ................... I wish it were easier to tell when it's doing 3G. Better yet would be a stronger (than 3G) 4G signal..
    It's my understanding that the approx avg range of 3G or 1xRTT is about 25 miles; for 4G/LTE about 5 miles; for 5G a mile if that.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Does someone have the FCC ID for this phone? It might tell us if it is CDMA-less or not.

The way it sounds it could have CDMA, but Tracfone provisioned it to let it use CDMA, but Verizon is not allowing it to use CDMA.

It is kinda like when I went to the LTEiRA area with a CDMA voice phone. A CDMA voice Tracfone phone does not work in LTEiRA area, but a VoLTE phone does work in the same area.

That could be another thing. How close are you to a LTEiRA area?

Edit: I found out that this is the same phone as the LG Wine 2. After doing some searching, I did find a FCC ID, and this phone does have CDMA. It has the same FCC ID as the Wine 2 too.
    Last edited by advcomp2019; 07-11-2020 at 11:52 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    The way it sounds it could have CDMA, but Tracfone provisioned it to let it use CDMA, but Verizon is not allowing it to use CDMA.
    Agree. I wonder if Tracfone (or PagePlus) could "un-provision" it for CDMA.

How close are you to a LTEiRA area?
    I'm on the Oregon coast, nowhere near an LTEiRA area as far as I can tell.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Agree. I wonder if Tracfone (or PagePlus) could "un-provision" it for CDMA.

I'm on the Oregon coast, nowhere near an LTEiRA area as far as I can tell.
    I am not sure.

In the menus, there could be a menu item that could force it to use LTE, CDMA/LTE, or CDMA. That could help. Since I don't have this phone yet, I am not sure if this menu is there.

Just a small thing, did you have this issue with the J3 with J3 SIM? Plus what J3 was it?

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    The effective range of a cellular radio signal (or any other radio service) is not determined by its type of utilized service (2G, 3G, 4G, etc.). It is determined by its transmitter output (or more accurately, transceiver capability, incorporating a receiver) and what the frequency band of usage is.

I don't know what the legal transmitter output power for a cell tower is, but you can bet that all the companies are utilizing the maximum allowed by the FCC, except in circumstances where they're using a given tower or installation to fill in an area and intentionally don't want maximum power blasting out in that area that might interfere with the cellular coverage plan map (how things overlap).

On that basis, as a rough example, one watt of radio frequency (RF) power performs better (travels farther) at 600 MHz (Band 71 in T-Mobile terms, for example) than it does at 1900 MHz (Band 2). It's a continuously progressive phenomenon, lowest frequency to highest. It makes no difference what the type of service is being carried on that radio wave, when dealing with typical cellular technologies. The distance thing is also part of the property of how well the radio wave penetrates foliage, buildings, is received beyond hills, etc..

There is a difference if you were talking about an AM radio broadcast versus an FM one, as AM is receivable for much farther distances, since FM has what's called a "capture effect," where if your signal gets weak to a certain point (due to distance), the receiver drops detection of the station transmitting somewhat abruptly. AM's problem is mainly noise competing with the desired signal, worsening the further away you are from the transmitter (making the signal progressively weaker).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    The effective range of a cellular radio signal (or any other radio service) is not determined by its type of utilized service (2G, 3G, 4G, etc.). It is determined by its transmitter output
    ...........................but you can bet that all the companies are utilizing the maximum allowed by the FCC,
    And the FCC rules; and that's the basis of the type of signal "approx average" ranges I've read about.

Feedback Score
    In the menus, there could be a menu item that could force it to use LTE, CDMA/LTE, or CDMA.
    First thing I tried .. found nothing in the menus (or the user manual).

Just a small thing, did you have this issue with the J3 with J3 SIM? Plus what J3 was it?
    I only have one active account (PP). I'll activate the J3 (Orbit) on TF when my wife can no longer use her 3G/1X Cosmos.

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast