Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: New Tracfone LG Classic Flip L125DL Quick Review

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    The old flips couldn't do that, so this is a new experience.
    You could "side load" things into some of the feature phones like the LG840G and LG306G. But then, those phones were a cut above the cheaper "flips" of the time. My LG306G was so good that I used it a year after the (lousy) 1st generation smartphones came out. Those phones had a lot of sounds and ringtones built in.

Feedback Score
    I wonder if you could Bluetooth a ringtone to the phone?

I have the Doro 7050 flip.

I sent my contacts to the Doro via Bluetooth and that worked perfectly. Sent all of the contact information to the phone, name, relationship, home phone and cell phone number if the contact had more than one phone number.

But I sent a picture to the Doro and it successfully sent but the Doro apparently did not either like the format or something.
    And I was not able to open the picture to use it for a wallpaper on the Doro.

In the olden days I had sent ringtones to my flips and bar phones via an email to the phones number. [email protected] whatever.
    That always seemed to work.

I have not tried to send a ringtone to my Doro so I'm not sure that it would work now.

Interesting fun fact about the Doro 7050, the Tracfone one, it's unlocked and I'm using it with my T-Mobile prepaid SIM card.

Sent from my Monstrous Moto e5

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowyWhite View Post
    In the olden days I had sent ringtones to my flips and bar phones via an email to the phones number. [email protected] whatever.
    Yes. The phone knew what to do with the sound file.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1992Z28 View Post
    I've had my LG Classic flip about a week now, and it's just about perfect for my needs. Like you I can see getting a silicone case , if they ever become available. My only real complaint would be the ringtones choices SUCK, and as far as I can tell no way to buy popular song ringtones right from an APP right on the phone like on my previous LG 306G. Both the Lg Flip and LG 306G are basic triple minutes for life phones...so I don't see why they don't have the buy a ringtone app on the LG Classic Flip
    No, no. Absolutely don't spend money buying a ringtone app. There is a glorious free app called Zedge. It has a million ringtones, wallpapers, icons, etc. I have used it for years. It is the very first app I install on any new device along with Nova Launcher. I have downloaded so many ringtones from them it is ridiculous.

If you have another device, install the Zedge app and get to downloading. They also have a PC App so you can download ringtones to your computer if you don't have another device. I have never used the PC app so I can't say how it compares to the phone app.

Once you have the ringtones downloaded, connect your phone to your computer via USB and copy them over. I can't remember if I had to make a Ringtones folder but I have all my ringtones already in a Ringtones folder that I copy onto every new device. Same with the Wallpaper.

If you don't want to use Zedge, a Google search of ringtones will unearth a multitude of free choices. Ringtones and wallpaper are things I would never pay for.

By the by, I get the sense that Zedge might be moving towards charging for the app. They have turned up the nagging ads pressure. They do have a premium version, but free version is perfect. Just have to sidestep a lot more ads these days.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I put an SD card into my LG Classic with about 200 songs on it. You can add any of them to your ringtones. Go to Menu, Settings, Sound, Ringtones. Then choose Options and Add. The phone will go to your music files. Choose your song with Select. The song will be added to the list of ringtones. Scroll the list, find your song and hit OK. It is saved as your ringtone.

Feedback Score
    Has anyone found a way to show battery remaining (as a %) on the main screen? It's annoying to have to go through the menu > settings > about phone > battery.

Another minor annoyance is not being able to see the phone number of the caller (caller ID). I had t change the settings so that the phone does not answer when I flip it open - so I can see the number of the caller. But I then have to press a button to answer the call.

I do have custom ringtones for my wife and kids but seeing a caller's number would be helpful.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post

Another minor annoyance is not being able to see the phone number of the caller (caller ID). I had t change the settings so that the phone does not answer when I flip it open - so I can see the number of the caller. But I then have to press a button to answer the call.
    I already addressed this in my continuing review of this phone earlier in this thread:

Forgot to mention:
    External screen. I like and dislike it. I didn't think I would like the slit but it displays all the info I need to see with one caveat. When a call comes in it just shows a call symbol. You have to press the volume button for it to display caller ID info. Why?!! Why must I press a button to see who is calling? Wholly unnecessary extra step. I want to glance at my phone and immediately see who is calling. Not fumble around pressing some button. This is very nonSenior friendly. Less buttons they have to press the better.
    If you want to see caller ID info just press the volume button before opening it up. Thus, you can go back to your preferred open flip to answer call.

However, you don't gain an advantage over avoiding the button pressing hassle to see Caller ID info. Either you press the volume button to see caller id info or you open the phone to see it and then press a button to answer. Six in one hand half a dozen in the other. It sucks and that is why I griped about it. Caller ID info should appear on the screen automatically.

Feedback Score

Review Update

Just discovered a feature that some of you might already know.

Speakerphone: Initially I didn't see a way to talk via speakerphone with the phone closed. However, in the Call Settings under Answer Options also check the option to answer calls via the SOS Button. This will activate the speakerphone during an incoming call and allow you to talk via speaker with the phone closed.

This is only a solution for incoming calls but at least it is something. It is so silly to have your phone open when on speaker. LG needs to give us the option of not having phone close end the call so we can could continue to talk when we close the phone.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Just activated my LG flip from HSN. Transferred from a AT&T BYOP SIM so the transfer to the included Verizon SIM needed overnight to complete. I tried the hotspot feature and surprisingly - it works! I already have a dedicated hotspot line on T-Mobile but having access to Verizon in a pinch is nice. I also sent some ringtones from my Note 9 to the LG flip and it worked like a charm.

So far.. much better than the Alcatel flip!
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone SE 2nd gen eSIM
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone SE 2nd gen dual-SIM [AT&T] & iPhone XS [Verizon]
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z917 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLand_BoY View Post
    Just activated my LG flip from HSN. Transferred from a AT&T BYOP SIM so the transfer to the included Verizon SIM needed overnight to complete. I tried the hotspot feature and surprisingly - it works! I already have a dedicated hotspot line on T-Mobile but having access to Verizon in a pinch is nice. I also sent some ringtones from my Note 9 to the LG flip and it worked like a charm.

So far.. much better than the Alcatel flip!
    I assume you know you're officially not allowed to use HotSpot on TF? ST or TW are the only TF companies that have HS plans.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    I assume you know you're officially not allowed to use HotSpot on TF? ST or TW are the only TF companies that have HS plans.
    Yup. I've had TracFone since the analog days

Feedback Score
    Just received system update V10F-May08-2020 to improve phone usability and functionality. It was fast download and update took only a few min.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RavensRebel View Post
    I already addressed this in my continuing review of this phone earlier in this thread:

If you want to see caller ID info just press the volume button before opening it up. Thus, you can go back to your preferred open flip to answer call.
    Thank you, I missed that. I did skim through the thread before buying the phone and promptly forgot about it by the time the phone arrived,
    However, you don't gain an advantage over avoiding the button pressing hassle to see Caller ID info. Either you press the volume button to see caller id info or you open the phone to see it and then press a button to answer. Six in one hand half a dozen in the other. It sucks and that is why I griped about it. Caller ID info should appear on the screen automatically.
    I agree, should be automatic display of Caller ID.

Advantage to me is: My immediate family each has individual ringtones (songs from music library), other contacts have a different song, so if I recognize the song I flip the phone open to answer. That's a majority of the calls I receive.

All other calls (not in contact list) have a generic ringtone and (if I remember, lol) I'll press the volume key to see if it is an unknown number before answering.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
    Thank you, I missed that. I did skim through the thread before buying the phone and promptly forgot about it by the time the phone arrived,
    I agree, should be automatic display of Caller ID.

Advantage to me is: My immediate family each has individual ringtones (songs from music library), other contacts have a different song, so if I recognize the song I flip the phone open to answer. That's a majority of the calls I receive.

All other calls (not in contact list) have a generic ringtone and (if I remember, lol) I'll press the volume key to see if it is an unknown number before answering.
    Ah okay, I see your point. Glad you can go back to your flip open to answer method.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Mint Mobile, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I got my LG Classic Flip from HSN this week. So far, here are my impressions:

Great build quality. It feels durable.
    Surprisingly good camera.
    Batter is great. It lasts me 2 days with moderate use.
    Phone call quality is okay. It's not pristine, but it's fine. Other callers have trouble hearing me over speaker phone. The headset I have works great with the standard headphone port.
    Signal quality is great. It must have a fast modem- I can pull 50 mbps down.
    Text messaging with T9 is great. It supports group messaging.
    Hotspot works! Tracfone and other affiliates support hotspot on certain devices and plans.
    FM radio is neat. It has okay reception.

Overall, it's a very nice phone and I'd recommend it to anyone that is interested in a flip phone. Even though only "basic plans" are advertised with this phone, Tracfone offers several pay-per-minute and unlimited plans for this device once it is activated.

Also I ported over from Mint Mobile and the transfer was very fast!

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast