Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can I use any Tracfone or PagePlus SIM card in this Alcatel MyFlip?

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket 500/500/500 plan at $10/mo
    Feedback Score

Can I use any Tracfone or PagePlus SIM card in this Alcatel MyFlip?

It's been asked an answered a dozen times here, but I just want to make sure. And maybe somebody else out there will benefit. I purchased a refurbished Alcatel MyFlip on eBay to have on hand next time a client needs one. It didn't come with a SIM card, just the phone. There was the red START HERE form inside the box.

Name:  Tracfone.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  24.8 KB

Obviously there was at one time a SIM card connected to this IMEI. If I try to activate the phone with another Tracfone SIM card, or better still PagePlus since they have better paygo rates, is that going to be an issue? I had this problem before with another Tracfone, but the CSR gave me an unlock code that worked.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    Obviously there was at one time a SIM card connected to this IMEI. If I try to activate the phone with another Tracfone SIM card, or better still PagePlus since they have better paygo rates, is that going to be an issue? I had this problem before with another Tracfone, but the CSR gave me an unlock code that worked.
    If you have another Tracfone SIM card, or better still a PagePlus SIM, put it into the phone and power it on. If it says "Unregistered SIM", then the phone is still paired to its previous SIM, contact TF to have it paired with your SIM. If it says something like "SIM not provisioned", then that SIM will work once it's activated with some time units/service days.

Feedback Score
    Refurbished by who? Maybe it's still locked. Always get the imei from a private ebay seller and check it before buying.

Keep in mind you can use a TF/vzw sim to activate on PP. You don't need a PP sim.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    You are the second person recently to announce a missing SIM with a refurbished phone. The red activation card should be the current one put there by the company that did the refurbishing. It makes one wonder the location of the SIM whose s/n is listed on the red card.

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket 500/500/500 plan at $10/mo
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info. If I have any issues I'll post back.

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    It's probably been asked a jillion times, but can I use an already activated VZ/TF SIM in the TF MyFlip? It was active but then I transferred its number and balance to another phone, deactivating the flip. I think it had a TF/AT&T SIM.

If I can use the SIM in the flip, will there be anything I need to know to operate it. Like, when I want to add service or minutes, do I have to put the SIM back in the phone it came in because of the IMEI? And the APN, is it easy to switch it from AT&T to VZ on the My Flip?

The reason I ask is that an AT&T SIM can't be reactivated AFAIK and it would require buying a new SIM, then activating with a transfer. I have an inactivated TMFL TF/VZ BYOP SIM but those can't be activated in TF branded phones AFAIK. And anyway, I prefer saving the annoyance of getting a new activation//new number by just swapping an already active SIM.

I should just try it and find out for myself but I like asking someone who has already successfully tried it. Thanks!

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    It's probably been asked a jillion times, but can I use an already activated VZ/TF SIM in the TF MyFlip? It was active but then I transferred its number and balance to another phone, deactivating the flip. I think it had a TF/AT&T SIM.

If I can use the SIM in the flip, will there be anything I need to know to operate it. Like, when I want to add service or minutes, do I have to put the SIM back in the phone it came in because of the IMEI? And the APN, is it easy to switch it from AT&T to VZ on the My Flip?

The reason I ask is that an AT&T SIM can't be reactivated AFAIK and it would require buying a new SIM, then activating with a transfer. I have an inactivated TMFL TF/VZ BYOP SIM but those can't be activated in TF branded phones AFAIK. And anyway, I prefer saving the annoyance of getting a new activation//new number by just swapping an already active SIM.

I should just try it and find out for myself but I like asking someone who has already successfully tried it. Thanks!

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app
    If I understand, the TF/Vzw sim was deactivated when you transferred service to another sim. In that case the deactivated sim is good to use in whatever phone you want just like activating a new sim. (no ties to the phone you transferred service to). Of course you won't have the same number unless you port one in and will need to buy service just like a new sim.
    Also, I've used BYOP sims in branded phones no problem. I know that on "initial" activation of a branded phone with the sim that comes in it there may be that requirement but after that you can use a BYOP sim in a previously activated branded phone. Just my experience.

Feedback Score
    A Tracfone doesn't even need the initial activation unless there is a bundle to be harvested. Take out the supplied SIM and use an activated BYOP SIM if you want. The IMEIs won't align, but that doesn't seem to matter unless you do something involving customer service where it matters.

The APN gets its cues from the SIM it's working with.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Can I use any Tracfone or PagePlus SIM card in this Alcatel MyFlip?

I have the TF My flip bought new in the box. It came with a TF Verizon sim which I immediately removed and put back in the box-installed an already activated TF BYOP ATT simcard. The phone has worked perfectly. The existing number, minutes, data are all on the flip. That sim has been in several phones-Tracfone branded and eBay unlocked etc. No problems.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    If I understand, the TF/Vzw sim was deactivated when you transferred service to another sim. In that case the deactivated sim is good to use in whatever phone you want just like activating a new sim. (no ties to the phone you transferred service to). Of course you won't have the same number unless you port one in and will need to buy service just like a new sim.
    Also, I've used BYOP sims in branded phones no problem. I know that on "initial" activation of a branded phone with the sim that comes in it there may be that requirement but after that you can use a BYOP sim in a previously activated branded phone. Just my experience.
    Thanks for answering.

It was an AT&T SIM in the Alcatel My Flip and it deactivated when I transferred service to a VZ based TF (ZTE flip).

I got a TF/VZ based smartphone on eBay with a year's service and was thinking i might use it for calls more if I put the SIM in the flip. Flips are just more friendly in the hand for talk.

I just thought there might be some issues if the flip was set up with a GSM or AT&T SIM, such as the APN profile.

I guess no harm in just trading the SIM just to see if it'll work. It can only tell me invalid SIM.

The new LG Classic flip is reputed to have call blocking and also the price is going down. The call blocking alone is worth a try. If my SIM works in the Alcatel, might it work in the LG? Of course with a new unactivated phone I could just activate with a transfer so I could keep the bundle phone number and minutes.

Sent from my Z557BL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weiden1 View Post
    I have the TF My flip bought new in the box. It came with a TF Verizon sim which I immediately removed and put back in the box-installed an already activated TF BYOP ATT simcard. The phone has worked perfectly. The existing number, minutes, data are all on the flip. That sim has been in several phones-Tracfone branded and eBay unlocked etc. No problems.
    Thanks, weiden1. That's right on the money, just what I needed and was hoping for.

Although I've heard the Alcatel flip is poor on battery life, (I've found that true, "use it and lose it" as far as batt charge) I'm near a charging port at most times. The screen isn't as sharp as my eyes like but I can read it fine for calls. The Z233vl flip I have has a nicer screen.

I will try it and see.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The only problem would be from Verizon themselves if/when they spot that the IMEI/SIM combination has not been provided to them already. A problem might not occur until you put the SIM back into another phone and Verizon happens to see the IMEI-SIM combination has changed again.
    AT&T and T-Mobile do not care when you SIM swap.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    A Tracfone doesn't even need the initial activation unless there is a bundle to be harvested. Take out the supplied SIM and use an activated BYOP SIM if you want. The IMEIs won't align, but that doesn't seem to matter unless you do something involving customer service where it matters.

The APN gets its cues from the SIM it's working with.
    Thanks, Lisme.

The Alcatel flip has a SIM that starts with 891 480 and am guessing it's AT&T.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    Thanks for answering.

It was an AT&T SIM in the Alcatel My Flip and it deactivated when I transferred service to a VZ based TF (ZTE flip).
    You may already know that a phone doesn`t deactivate, the SIM deactivates.
    The phones IMEI is no longer seen connected to a tower, as when you power off the phone or the SIM is removed.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    The only problem would be from Verizon themselves if/when they spot that the IMEI/SIM combination has not been provided to them already. A problem might not occur until you put the SIM back into another phone and Verizon happens to see the IMEI-SIM combination has changed again.
    AT&T and T-Mobile do not care when you SIM swap.
    Yes, I was concerned about that, it's why I asked first.

It could work ok in the flip for days or weeks then just suddenly quit or if I decide to return it to the smartphone, it could be when it gets indigestion.

It sounds like it works for weiden1 so i may try it, let's hope it's a go.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast