Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Unlocked/Rooted phone on TF?

Carrier(s)
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I will need a hard plastic case with a belt clip, so I guess I won't be using the back cover myself.
    I liked the one I had for the LG Fiesta. It is a two (actually three) piece case with the inner rubber fitting onto the phone, then the whole thing fitting into the hard plastic back with the opening for the camera.
    Then, there is the hard plastic shell with belt clip. But on this model, the shell slips onto the phone from above, rather than clipping onto the other half of the case. This is much more secure, as there is no way the phone can fall out.
    I have had this happen with another case. It used plastic clips to attach the shell to the phone, and after time, the plastic latches wear out, and the phone can fall out while I am running, since the belt clip is attached to the shell, not the back of the phone.

I will be looking for such a cover for the Moto G7 Optimo Maxx.
    If anyone knows of such a cover, please let me know.
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ultrarunner2015 View Post
    I will need a hard plastic case with a belt clip, so I guess I won't be using the back cover myself.
    I liked the one I had for the LG Fiesta. It is a two (actually three) piece case with the inner rubber fitting onto the phone, then the whole thing fitting into the hard plastic back with the opening for the camera.
    Then, there is the hard plastic shell with belt clip. But on this model, the shell slips onto the phone from above, rather than clipping onto the other half of the case. This is much more secure, as there is no way the phone can fall out.
    I have had this happen with another case. It used plastic clips to attach the shell to the phone, and after time, the plastic latches wear out, and the phone can fall out while I am running, since the belt clip is attached to the shell, not the back of the phone.

I will be looking for such a cover for the Moto G7 Optimo Maxx.
    If anyone knows of such a cover, please let me know.
    Thanks
    That is the kind of case I prefer. I clip it in a front pocket with the phone inside the pocket. I prefer the side clip type that allows the phone to be clipped in with the screen in or out, but I don't jog. The slide-in type are harder to find, but they are out there.

I you don't mind the cheap Chinese ones, there are thousands of them on Amazon and eBay for $10-$15. I've been using them for years with no problems, but I don't bang around much. The belt clips don't look like they would take much stress or abuse, but I have never had one break in moderate use.

Search for: Moto G7 Optimo Maxx hybrid holster case. You have to look hard to figure out which ones are slide-in and have a belt clip.

Here's one:

https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Opti...7&sr=8-12&th=1

Carrier(s)
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Where might I find a better case than the cheap Chinese ones? I wouldn't mind paying more for a case that will last me a few years.
    I need the case to be rugged enough - the belt clip needs to be firm - so that it won't drop off my running belt as I run. That said, Even though my old LG Fiesta case was under $10, it did hold up pretty well.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Where might I find a better case than the cheap Chinese ones? I wouldn't mind paying more for a case that will last me a few years.
    I need the case to be rugged enough - the belt clip needs to be firm - so that it won't drop off my running belt as I run. That said, Even though my old LG Fiesta case was under $10, it did hold up pretty well.
    I know this does not have a belt clip, but I have this case on my G7 Optimo Maxx: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P1NYHQJ/ref=emc_b_5_t

The only complain that I have is the built in screen protector gets dust under it. So you could rip the built in screen protector off, and use a different one, or you can use both screen protectors.

I wish there was a Supcase for the G7 Optimo Maxx because Supcase makes the Unicorn Beetle Pro, and it come with a belt clip.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    Re: Unlocked -- I see OP bought him/herself a TF phone bundle, which is par for the TF course. That's fine as long as he stays within the TF ecosystem. But he shouldn't have any illusion about unlocking the phone and taking it to any non-TF provider, because it most likely won't work.

Nowday, phones require VoLTE, which needs carrier certification (and whitelist). This is true for VZW, and by early next year will be true for AT&T. A SIM-unlocked phone won't cut it. I have an unlocked LG Power from Xfinity, designed expressly for VZW network. Yet once I unlocked it and got it out of Xfin, no IMEI checker will accept it, not even Xfinity. It's just a wifi phone now.
    I disagree with the statement in bold. A TF-branded GSM or "DL" smartphone when unlocked (after being in service for 12 months) can be used with AT&T, T-mo, and their MVNOs. Your example with Verizon is true, only because Verizon require a phone to be on their "whitelist" to be accepted as a BYOP device. AT&T and T-mo don't have that requirement.

Feedback Score
    Re: Rooted -- Here's an obvious one: unlimited hotspot. Everybody wants it, and every other thread on this site talks about it. It's possible with a rooted phone. All my phones were on 24/7 hotspot duty when they were on Sprint unlimited freebie. That lasted 3 years.
    Rooted or not rooted, Hotspot is a violation of TF TOC.

Feedback Score
    >Rooted or not rooted, Hotspot is a violation of TF TOC.

As if that ever stopped anybody.

But yes, TF data is metered, so hotspot use is probably not the most apt.

BTW, my TF phone's built-in hotspot works great. No root, just plain vanilla. Am I the exception?
    No, the hotspots work fine on my generic Moto G6 and TF branded E5. I tested them, but don't use them. I would, in moderation, if I needed to.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    >AT&T and T-mo don't have that requirement.

Read closer. "...and by early next year will be true for AT&T." By the time OP can unlock his TF phone, it'll be past this date.

AT&T 3G sunset is early 2022, now that 5G is well on its way. Once 3G is dead, VoLTE is required for voice. All indications are that AT&T will require VoLTE for new activations one year before that, or early 2021. And of course, VoLTE will be required, period, by early 2022.
    You're mixing two issues together. First, you brought up the issue that an unlocked phone can't be used with Verizon because it's not on their list. When I countered that AT&T and T-mo have no such requirement then you brought up the VoLTE requirement. Current TF-branded smartphones are VoLTE capable. VoLTE is being used on TF/Verizon and TF/T-mo. I don't see why the phones can't be used with AT&T when AT&T implement the VoLTE requirement.

Carrier(s)
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Yes; I understand that everything is made in China; like it or not. What I am looking for is a case that will hold up to hours of jostling as it hangs on my running belt. That means a secure belt clip, and a clamshell design that doesn't depend on two small plastic ridges to keep it from becoming detached from the half with the belt clip and falling to the ground.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    VoLTE is being used on TF/Verizon and TF/T-mo. I don't see why the phones can't be used with AT&T when AT&T implement the VoLTE requirement.
    Yes, AT&T will have to open up VoLTE for everyone sometime before they shut down 3G. T-Mobile has been requiring VoLTE on new activations for a while. It has shown up after the T-Mobile/Sprint merger about what Sprint/Boost phones could be migrated to T-Mobile. Sprint had not fully implemented VoLTE.

Carrier(s)
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Here is the case I am looking for. The one pictured is what I now have on my LG Fiesta 2.

Name:  _DSC4595.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  26.9 KB
    Name:  _DSC4596.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  25.8 KB
    Name:  _DSC4597.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  27.1 KB
    Name:  _DSC4598.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  29.7 KB

As you can see, the piece with the belt clip slides onto the phone instead of clipping on as most of them do.
    It would be next to impossible for the phone to separate from the shell with the clip unless that whole piece on the bottom were to break off, but it is substantial. What has happened with this case is the belt clip has become too weak to hold it securely.

Carrier(s)
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Moto G7 Optimo Maxx is a rebadged Moto G7 Power. The AT&T variant is known as the G7 Supra. You should search under these models, eg "moto g7 power belt clip", as they're more popular than the Optimo rebadge. For fastest search,

http://google.com/search?q=moto+g7+power+belt+clip

then select Images. Then click the link corresponding to the image you find to your liking.
    Thanks.
    I think I found a case that is almost exactly the same design as the one I have on my LG Fiesta.
    Says it fits Moto G7 Power; doesn't mention the G7 Optimo Maxx, but I'll take your word that it will fit.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...N7AIBHZ7&psc=1

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thanks.
    I think I found a case that is almost exactly the same design as the one I have on my LG Fiesta.
    Says it fits Moto G7 Power; doesn't mention the G7 Optimo Maxx, but I'll take your word that it will fit.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...N7AIBHZ7&psc=1
    If you look at the model of G7 Optimo Maxx, it is XT1955DL. If you look at the model of G7 Power, it is XT1955.

Another way to know that they are the same is codenames. G7 Power codename is ocean, and G7 Optimo Maxx is ocean_trac. You can see the codename via CPU-Z.

Carrier(s)
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I received the case a couple days ago. Looks pretty much the same as the one I am using now on the LG Fiesta. My new Moto G7 Optimo Maxx is arriving today, so I'll know soon that the new case is the right one.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5