Thread: P20 Pro CLT-L04 model

Feedback Score

P20 Pro CLT-L04 model

I posted this in the AT&T forum as well but it really has to do with this specific model. I'd like to know how well a particular model of the P20 Pro will work on AT&T and its MVNO's.

There was a choice when purchasing the P20 Pro- a single-sim international version (L-09), a dual-sim international version (L-29) and a version that my initial research indicated was a Canadian version for Bell Mobility. I called them and they said that it had all the major LTE bands except those for use in China. But when I got the phone, it had a Rogers Wireless (also Canada) app in it and had only the following bands listed on the box- FDD LTE B2/B3/B4/B5/B7/B28; UMTS B8/B1/B2/B5/AWS; GSM B5/B8/B3/B2. I called Huawei and they told me that all CLT-L04's are the same, but based on the bands listed on the box, this doesn't seem to be the case. I've since read that this model was sold in Mexico as well. I know that carriers often specify bands on the phones for their own use. Now I'm trying to figure out if I should return the phone and get the international model which costs a bit more than this one did. I've read that AT&T's main bands are 12 and 17, so is it wise to try to use this phone long-term on AT&T or one of its MVNOs?

This phone is for my sister and she has been trying the phone compared to her Umidigi Power and says she gets better coverage (rural northwest CT) but I'm concerned that it's defaulting to 3G or that she may not get coverage in other areas. Using LTE Discovery, the phone in question is using band 4 where it is now, while another phone on AT&T (Cricket) is on band 17. About ten miles away, both are using band 2.

She can return the phone and get an international model for not much more money, but I want to see if it's necessary before going through the hassle.

Any insights?

Thanks,
    Ed

Feedback Score
    Well, I found out the answer to my question through using LTE Discovery and the answers in another part of this forum. LTE Discovery showed that the phone did indeed use band 17, which was not listed on the box. Someone said that all the frequencies are not always listed on the box, so the few that were listed were likely above the ones typically on the phone in the region it was sold. Based on that, and the fact that someone said that if the phone was originally for Rogers Wireless, it surely uses bands 12 and 17.