Thread: Tracfone voicemail

Feedback Score

Tracfone voicemail

After having notification problems with Tracfone voicemail on my unlocked Moto G5 Plus GSM network (AT&T) phone, I set up Youmail and had all voicemails forwarded there. I now want to revert back to Tracfone voicemail, but am having problems deactivating Youmail, I get error message “call forwarding - connection problem or invalid MMI code” when entering the deactivate code. I have tried entering code directly from my phone, using safe mode, but always receive the above error message. I had Tracfone Chat reset my voicemail, but that didn’t work (think it only reset password). I've googled MMI errors and have seen several solutions, have tried them all, but nothing works. Any suggestions?

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a, Samsung A1e (active)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fwhnmj View Post
    After having notification problems with Tracfone voicemail on my unlocked Moto G5 Plus GSM network (AT&T) phone, I set up Youmail and had all voicemails forwarded there. I now want to revert back to Tracfone voicemail, but am having problems deactivating Youmail, I get error message “call forwarding - connection problem or invalid MMI code” when entering the deactivate code. I have tried entering code directly from my phone, using safe mode, but always receive the above error message. I had Tracfone Chat reset my voicemail, but that didn’t work (think it only reset password). I've googled MMI errors and have seen several solutions, have tried them all, but nothing works. Any suggestions?
    I'd call Youmail customer support. They are great, especially a woman named Sabrina.

Feedback Score
    The Moto G5 Plus can handle MMI codes. The problem is that AT&T in their infinite wisdom has stopped allowing it at the carrier level. They say that it was a security issue since it was so easy to re-route calls. I think if someone has a direct AT&T account, there is a workaround. But not for Tracfone AT&T.

I agree with contacting Youmail and having them cancel things from their end. I'm sure they have already encountered this situation.

Feedback Score
    After having notification problems with Tracfone voicemail on my unlocked Moto G5 Plus GSM network (AT&T) phone, I set up Youmail and had all voicemails forwarded there. I now want to revert back to Tracfone voicemail, but am having problems deactivating Youmail,
    Did you try this in the YouMail app?

"Android – Tap the Menu button (☰) on the top left, Tap Settings, then Activate/Deactivate, Select Return to Carrier Voicemail, Select Yes, return my voicemail to my carrier.

After you confirm that your carrier voicemail is working again, you can delete the YouMail app."

The codes are only needed if you removed the app. Yes, contact customer support if nothing works.

https://support.youmail.com/hc/en-us...cancel-account

Tracfone is not going to be able to help with this

Feedback Score
    I have tried everything with Youmail including a chat session. Basically they can't do anything and threw it back on Tracfone where I've tried a couple of chat sessions that hasn't help clear the call forwarding setting, they just reset password. I've seen posts in other forums referencing Tracfone Tier 3 support, when requesting that during a chat, they state there is no higher support than them (chat support).

Feedback Score
    Chat is definitely not the highest support level. Tracfone cannot solve this anyway, short of changing your phone number.

I will have this same voicemail problem if I decide to leave Google voicemail. I set it up with (AT&T) forwarding codes when that was still allowed. Now they probably cannot be undone. The forwarding settings continue to work fine. The Moto G5 Plus used to be able to display the current forwarding settings in the Phone settings. Now it can't even display them. It just says Off instead of the Google Voice number for the various categories.

So I think the only solution may be to switch to a Tracfone/Verizon SIM or Tracfone/T-Mobile SIM and hope that disconnects the forwarding. That's probably what I would do if I were in a jam.

All of this is hypothetical as I have not had occasion to solve this through Google. It may be a different situation than YouMail.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    So I think the only solution may be to switch to a Tracfone/Verizon SIM or Tracfone/T-Mobile SIM and hope that disconnects the forwarding.
    Temporarily transferring service to another carrier should break the voicemail bond. Hopefully, transferring back will not remember the old settings and would require a new voicemail setup. I have been on one carrier for so long that I don't remember what happens when changing carrier. Others here do these carrier changes more often and should know.

Feedback Score
    I have tried everything with Youmail including a chat session.
    I wonder why the reviews for YouMail chat support are so good on the Play Store, and why the support information seems to be so complete on the YouMail website? I seem to remember negative reports on the forums, but not where that was.

Do you still have the app on the phone, and is it still working as it did? Tracfone can't help with this, as they don't control the carrier voicemail system. Seems that YouMail can affect the carrier voicemail network directly.

Feedback Score
    Verizon now has a forwarding code with results like the old AT&T code. I tried it with a Tracfone SIM and it worked. I don't think they had it for us before because I think I looked into it. So if the AT&T code thing causes a problem, I would not mind switching to a TF/Verizon SIM and hope that Verizon keeps it going.

Feedback Score
    AT&T is killing Tracfone.

I've been using Trac for over a decade with no problems (in metro NYC area). Now the one AT&T BYOP phone I have is practically useless. Calls and texts often don't go through. Voicemail and call alerts come late. Data usage feels like 2G or 3G instead of 4G. I read AT&T is intentionally rationing service away from prepaid. Beware using AT&T with Tracfone

Feedback Score
    Undoubtedly, NYC got overloaded. Around here, first responders get special accounts that give them first priority. But I haven't noticed a problem with my Tracfone service. I don't think we will reach that point around here.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by romaparisdoma View Post
    I've been using Trac for over a decade with no problems (in metro NYC area). Now the one AT&T BYOP phone I have is practically useless. Calls and texts often don't go through. Voicemail and call alerts come late. Data usage feels like 2G or 3G instead of 4G. I read AT&T is intentionally rationing service away from prepaid. Beware using AT&T with Tracfone
    What phone are you using? Most Android phones have not yet been getting VoLTE on AT&T MVNOs. If your voice and text is still going over UMTS, be aware that AT&T is reducing what little bandwidth they have left for it. AT&T is refarming some of that for LTE and 5G. This will cause the voice and text issues you describe for many people now, not just around NYC. As for data, a lot of that is overloaded in certain areas on other carriers, too.

Feedback Score
    As expected, wasted time with Tracfone Support nothing was resolved, first agent asked what is call forwarding, immediately asked for a supervisor. Second agent I could only understand about a quarter of what she was saying! Guess I'll have to stick w/ Youmail for now. Thanks to all for your replies and suggestions!!