Thread: Google Voice App Conflict With Hangouts

Feedback Score

Google Voice App Conflict With Hangouts

This will sound strange, but the 2 GV #s that I use with Hangouts have started ringing in both Hangouts and the GV app on my phone when calls come in.

I've had both apps on my phones since the GV app went live with data calling over a year+ ago. Until this week, if one of the 2 GV #s I use with Hangouts is called, only the Hangouts app would ring. Starting this week, BOTH apps ring!

I want to keep both apps installed.

Obviously, something changed on the GV back end so that both apps now ring when a call comes in.

Is there a way to disable ringing of the 2 GV #s I use with Hangouts to in the GV app?

Can specific Google accounts be disabled in the GV app without removing the account from the phone?

As a reminder, everything I do is over data only, so there's no real phone # involved in the equation.

Feedback Score
    I'm guessing that this new issue is due to an Android update I did on 5/5/20. Neither actual app version was updated recently.

This is not directly related, but maybe part of the same Android update. I also found that I am now required to disable "Use Randomized MAC" to connect to a particular open WiFi network that I've been using for quite a while with no previous issue!

Maybe these monthly Android updates on my Pixel 3a XL aren't all they're cracked up to be!?

Feedback Score
    I have similar setup with 1 GV number and both apps on Pixel. I have disabled notifications for incoming calls in settings for both apps. My GV number forwards calls to my actual carrier number. With this setup when someone calls, I don't see any notification from hangouts or GV app.

I've latest updates installed and didn't notice any change recently.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Realizing you've got (and have been using) a setup a bit unlike mine, and looking at the modern GV app settings, if you're not intending to receive calls made to your GV number over either a cellular line (which doesn't exist) or the data channel of GV (the app itself) listening to its mothers ship, it would seem like you'd have to have (in the Calls area of GV) "Making and receiving calls" set to "Use carrier only," and then in "Call forwarding" NO device selected. That should keep the GV app quiet, at least in theory.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies.

whacker, unfortunately, I can't set it to "Use carrier only" because it wants me to "Set this device's number".

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, I was afraid that's what would happen. I wonder how you were avoiding the app from responding to incoming calls previously. That would be its natural default function. And the only way (IMO) to stop that would be the method I outlined. Weird.

Feedback Score
    I don't know, either, except I'm pretty sure the Android Security update to 5/5/20 is what caused the change, as well as the WiFi issue I noted above.

With Hangouts, you have to log into each account in the Hangouts app before the GV # associated with that account is active in Hangouts.

It appears that AFTER the 5/5/20 update, the GV app logs into each Google account on the phone, and if there's a GV # associated with it, it is now active to receive calls and texts on those GV #s.

I do think I figured out how to stop it.

In the GV app:
    1. Open the account with the Google account / GV # that needs to be fixed
    2. Hamburger menu>Settings
    3. Scroll down to the CALLS section
    4. Tap Call forwarding
    5. DEselect the device you don't want to ring in the GV app when a call comes in (under MY DEVICES>Select devices you want to answer calls on. Carrier rates may apply)

whacker, you're right. In hindsight, with the device(s) selected, this is how it should have ALWAYS worked. But it's NOT how it currently works on my
    LG G Pad F 8.0 V495 with Android 6, LG Phoenix 2 and Moto E4 both with Android 7, Vivo XI with Android 8, and it's not how it worked on my Pixel 3a XL with Android 10 UNTIL it received the 5/5/20 update.

Anyway, thanks a lot for helping me think it through until I found the right setting in the GV app! I THINK the issue is resolved, at least for now, until a future update messes up something else!

Feedback Score
    In case anybody is wondering why I'm still using Hangouts instead of the GV app for everything, please see my list of reasons below.

I don't understand how the things on my list are not working correctly in the Google Voice app after TWO years, when they work perfectly well in the Hangouts app!

I have used data only since March, 2017, so any testing of the GV app I've done is with no cell phone #, i.e., using cellular or WiFi data only.

1) In the Android GV app, when searching contacts, ALL numbers with a custom name are listed with "Other" next to the number, which doesn't work well for my usage. With the Hangouts app, when searching contacts, ALL numbers with a custom name are listed with THAT CUSTOM NAME next to the number, which is how it SHOULD be in the GV app, too. As another data point, when searching contacts, the TextNow app ALSO lists numbers with a custom name with the custom name next to the number. Some examples of custom names for multiple numbers under one contact include "Cabin", "Snow House", "Vickie Work", "Dan Cell".

2) On any of the Android phones and a tablet I've tested the GV app with, when I click on a phone number on a web page, or from within any other app, including the Simplenote app, I am presented with multiple apps on my phone that can place a phone call, including Phone, Hangouts, Viber, and TextNow. The option to place the call with the GV app is MISSING! There is NO WAY to initiate a call as described above using the Android GV app! This is a very serious issue for me.

3) When any of my Android devices are set to silent, when a call comes into the GV # that I have set up in the GV app, the screen remains dark, and there's no indication of a call coming in. If a call comes into either of my GV #s that are set up in Hangouts on a device set to silent, the screen immediately lights up, and Hangouts can be answered. As an extra data point, even TextNow works correctly, the same as Hangouts, when a call comes in to a device that is set to silent.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Boz, what version of android? If 8/9/10, perhaps you can control the notifications for each account?

Feedback Score
    Yes, thanks. That's what I eventually figured out as described in my 07:41 AM post yesterday. It was very odd that the GV app behavior changed, but as mentioned by whacker, that's really how it should have always worked. Oh, well...it's working properly now.