Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Alcatel myflip signal issues

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    I'm with PP so don't know TFs online automatic activation options; but from my forum reading, if I understand right, couldn't the OP just add the SIM to their account and activate it as an upgrade or something like that so his balance and number transfers,then just put the sim in the phone ? They wouldn't have the balance confirmation fall back like in chat but they'd be cutting out the CSR hassle.
    Yes, that is the DIY option. But it is almost guaranteed to mess up cross-carrier. The transfer really needs a Chat rep.

Device(s)
    Motorola w376g
    Carrier(s)
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I pProvided them with the Sim card code from the at&t keep your own phone kit I bought, which they said was not compatible. I will keep trying

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clrockny24 View Post
    I pProvided them with the Sim card code from the at&t keep your own phone kit I bought, which they said was not compatible. I will keep trying
    The CSR must have somehow known you were trying to put a BYOP SIM in a branded Tracfone rather than an actual BYOP. Put the TF AT&T BYOP SIM in your online account. If you are transferring service to activate the SIM, then first go on chat and ask for your remaining airtime which you then copy and paste for a record. Now go to your account and activate the SIM from there. This should avoid any possibility of your being stopped by a human questioning what they are doing for you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    The CSR must have somehow known you were trying to put a BYOP SIM in a branded Tracfone rather than an actual BYOP. Put the TF AT&T BYOP SIM in your online account. If you are transferring service to activate the SIM, then first go on chat and ask for your remaining airtime which you then copy and paste for a record. Now go to your account and activate the SIM from there. This should avoid any possibility of your being stopped by a human questioning what they are doing for you.
    I am concerned about a "freshman" person doing this when Tracfone is so prone to mess-ups. It is even a huge hassle for "seniors" to get things put right.

That is why I am pushing the Chat route.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    I am concerned about a "freshman" person doing this when Tracfone is so prone to mess-ups. It is even a huge hassle for "seniors" to get things put right.

That is why I am pushing the Chat route.
    No doubt Chat is much the safer route, and persistence may find a CSR who will do it. But online is safe when not changing providers. I am surprised if the CSR knew a BYOP SIM was going in a branded Tracfone unless clrockney24 gave it away by mistake. I`m having trouble remembering all the previously supplied details over 5 pages and 11 days.

Feedback Score
    Just a thought since ATT won't require an imei to activate the sim. Tell chat that you want to transfer and activate your service to the new ATT sim for a compatible phone you don't have yet or you haven't decided which phone you have that you're going to use. Make up some story. Get the sim activated and pop it in the phone.

Device(s)
    Motorola w376g
    Carrier(s)
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    ^^not a bad idea.

After a really lengthy conversation on chat, it was determined that my phone is not compatible with the Sim, as they have told me. It turns out there may have been some APN settings that I can change around, but nothing really did anything.

My phone is working fine here at work tonight. I know people may have said bars might not necessarily matter but I have full bars, and At home I am struggling to get three bars in sometime does certai at home I am struggling to get three bars and most of the time it doesn’t even connect. Oy

I have written down what they said. There was nothing wrong with your phones programming however, We cannot transfer your number in the service to this AT&T compatible SIM card If you were insured it to this phone because it will not work either. You will need to insert the AT&T BYOP Sim card into an AT&T unlocked phone or GSM compatible smart phone.

So idk, maybe I do need a new phone that’s AT&T compatible ?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Do you not have the Alcatel My Flip (A405DL) that came with a Verizon SIM? It has been proven to work with a Tracfone AT&T SIM.
    Tracfone has one SIM for branded phones and another SIM for BYOP. Tracfone will refuse to activate a BYOP SIM to go in a branded Tracfone. So you have to get the TF AT&T BYOP SIM activated without them knowing what phone you will put it in. Their refusal indicates you somehow let them know it was a Tracfone branded phone.

Feedback Score
    And let that be the final word.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    And let that be the final word.
    I see why you warned about giving instructions to someone who knows so little about Tracfone. It's so easy for the inexperienced to end up down a rabbit hole. It`s hard to access their capabilities ahead of hearing of their previous experiences.

Feedback Score
    I think this person understands what to do, but is playing dumb to get continued attention. By the way, wireless maps for AT&T and Verizon show good coverage for the location in the person's profile. So not our problem anymore.

But the information will probably help other readers, so that's good.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I don't know if I'd attribute anything to "playing dumb to get attention" to this forum.

The average person who innocently walks into the MVNO room of the communications world, especially the corner that America Movil occupies (TracFone and subsidiaries), thinks that they are going to be met with well-intentioned, capable customer service representatives. The company does want people's business, but are playing the odds with how they have set up their system, which includes support. To them, you win some and you lose some.

The innocent new potential TF user has to realize (we all do), that TF CSRs DO NOT USE, AND HAVE NO PERSONAL EXPERIENCE IN THE PLACES THEY LIVE, with any of these services they are employed to render support to the U.S. from. All of this GSM vs. CDMA service incompatibility and the transition to LTE, and the phase-in of VoLTE, and this device brand vs. that, and what gets provisioned when you get x, y, or z completed - it's all nonsense to them and the way THEY THEMSELVES obtain and deal with mobile phone services in the places they live. They are not cell phone hobbyists, as some of us allowed ourselves to become, perhaps out of necessity, to find service at a more affordable price point.

So they are just operating from a script and just want to keep their paychecks coming. They have little flexibility and conversational know-how to just offer "what they think" about any given topic, or to interpret what a caller/IM texter is trying to relate to them and use deduction or better yet, their own personal experience in offering possible real troubleshooting efforts, because THEY HAVE NO PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH THESE SERVICES, and can therefore not go there without risk. When they encounter something "difficult," it has has to be simplified and brushed-off (to a caller who will accept that), or escalated. I suspect there is a tally for a given rep for the number of calls cleared that can be categorized a certain way, and a tally for those having to be passed on, supervisors brought on, escalations, etc.. And a model that encourages the highest number of the quickest completions. Piece work. That's the likely reality.

So in contacting TF you have to know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em; meaning, what to say and what not to say, as their responses can lead you, the innocent one, down a rabbit hole of incomprehensible reasoning and choices that you will not be able to sort out on your own. What an ideal situation it would be if TF CSRs were all of the people with the maximum experiences with TF service, such as those here at HoFo and Turk Forums. But that isn't about to be the case.

Just my $0.02.

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket 500/500/500 plan at $10/mo
    Feedback Score
    ^ Well said, Whacker.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    OK for an OP who is taking the information from us and CS and really trying to get somewhere.

But when I see the same "woe is me" in post after post, with no end in sight and dragging of the heels, I call 'em as I see 'em.

Acting helpless/hopeless to keep getting attention.

Not giving thought to what is being offered.

I don't believe we've seen this before, and it takes attention away from people who are sincerely trying.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Tracfone will refuse to activate a BYOP SIM to go in a branded Tracfone. So you have to get the TF AT&T BYOP SIM activated without them knowing what phone you will put it in. Their refusal indicates you somehow let them know it was a Tracfone branded phone.
    I wonder if Tracfone has a record of an attempt to use this particular BYOP SIM, and will continue to blackball any further attempts? If so, another BYOP SIM might be needed.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast