Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trying to get old Nokia 2190 working.. Ideas?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, Verizon, AT$T
    Feedback Score

Trying to get old Nokia 2190 working.. Ideas?

I swapped my T-Mobile SIM recently when I misplaced the phone it was in, and I was running out the door.

Apparently, the new T-Mobile SIM cards seem to lack whatever program the old Nokia/Motorola GSM phones look for when they boot up, as The Nokia 2190, 8390, and Motorola Select 2000e all totally reject the SIM card when inserted.

The nokia's just flat say "SIM Card Rejected", and the old Motorola says "Check Card"

Any ideas, or anyone know where I can still find a known good, activatable SIM with the SKU TM9260 or before? all the new ones I have are TM9263.

I keep looking on eBay for an old T-Mobile Prepaid Gold Rewards account I can buy and just take over the SIM card, but i'm not having any luck there either.

Any ideas? It's been over 90 days since the SIM swap so reusing the old card (which I now have) is I believe out of the question. I have a "new" TM9260 but it's activation date is expired.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"
    Sprint: Premium Unlimited (for 100GB hotspot!)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    I swapped my T-Mobile SIM recently when I misplaced the phone it was in, and I was running out the door.

Apparently, the new T-Mobile SIM cards seem to lack whatever program the old Nokia/Motorola GSM phones look for when they boot up, as The Nokia 2190, 8390, and Motorola Select 2000e all totally reject the SIM card when inserted.

The nokia's just flat say "SIM Card Rejected", and the old Motorola says "Check Card"

Any ideas, or anyone know where I can still find a known good, activatable SIM with the SKU TM9260 or before? all the new ones I have are TM9263.

I keep looking on eBay for an old T-Mobile Prepaid Gold Rewards account I can buy and just take over the SIM card, but i'm not having any luck there either.

Any ideas? It's been over 90 days since the SIM swap so reusing the old card (which I now have) is I believe out of the question. I have a "new" TM9260 but it's activation date is expired.
    Your old phone is SIM locked

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    Your old phone is SIM locked

No.. no it's not.

all three devices are unlocked (from different carriers), and have worked with T-Mobile SIM's previously. The new models of T-Mobile SIM cards will not read in these devices, as when I put a SIM with TM9260 stamped on it in the devices, they attempt to look for service and operate "normally"

(I have used all three of these devices on T-Mobile within the last year, and this unactivated TracFone SIM even will boot the devices)

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    is the sim card. .. the sim card hold encryption and certificates on where who how to connect to networks, it has your info too. with years the encryption has gone up, i remember voicestream sim cards with 16bit encryption, then 32bit, 64bit.. I think i currently hold a 128bit sim card.. and probably you too.

your solution? you need an older sim card if you can find one.. a 32bit perhaps. Your phone is too old, so you need old sim cards.

and this also holds true that if you have a very old sim card and you can not connect to the network, you might need a new one, with newer encryption and certificates

Feedback Score
    No.. no it's not.

all three devices are unlocked (from different carriers), and have worked with T-Mobile SIM's previously. The new models of T-Mobile SIM cards will not read in these devices, as when I put a SIM with TM9260 stamped on it in the devices, they attempt to look for service and operate "normally"

(I have used all three of these devices on T-Mobile within the last year, and this unactivated TracFone SIM even will boot the devices)
    Your phones might be too old to read 3v SIM card

Last edited by Androided; 05-04-2020 at 02:08 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cr0w View Post
    is the sim card. .. the sim card hold encryption and certificates on where who how to connect to networks, it has your info too. with years the encryption has gone up, i remember voicestream sim cards with 16bit encryption, then 32bit, 64bit.. I think i currently hold a 128bit sim card.. and probably you too.

your solution? you need an older sim card if you can find one.. a 32bit perhaps. Your phone is too old, so you need old sim cards.

and this also holds true that if you have a very old sim card and you can not connect to the network, you might need a new one, with newer encryption and certificates
    That's what I figured, the TM9260 SIM cards i've got here all read just fine, but the TM9263 SIM cards just flat out reject. The 2190 I assume is going to be the hardest one as it's the oldest one in the bunch I have here.

Right now I have the Select 2000e booted with a TracFone pink SIM (still rejects in the Nokia, but oddly enough in the Nokia it takes a second - so it may work once actually activated), but it's not active and everytime I try to activate that blank SIM card it gives me an error on the website, so I may try to just order one of those "new" and hope I get a SIM that will still register

There are a few legacy gold rewards accounts on eBay left, but I'm not paying $350-400 just to boot an old phone haha. I will keep an eye out and if I can find one for a reasonable price i'll probably grab it as i'll need something to replace the StarTac on the Tello line anyway (once Sprint CDMA is shut down!)

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5+, Any and all Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    That's what I figured, the TM9260 SIM cards i've got here all read just fine, but the TM9263 SIM cards just flat out reject. The 2190 I assume is going to be the hardest one as it's the oldest one in the bunch I have here.

Right now I have the Select 2000e booted with a TracFone pink SIM (still rejects in the Nokia, but oddly enough in the Nokia it takes a second - so it may work once actually activated), but it's not active and everytime I try to activate that blank SIM card it gives me an error on the website, so I may try to just order one of those "new" and hope I get a SIM that will still register

There are a few legacy gold rewards accounts on eBay left, but I'm not paying $350-400 just to boot an old phone haha. I will keep an eye out and if I can find one for a reasonable price i'll probably grab it as i'll need something to replace the StarTac on the Tello line anyway (once Sprint CDMA is shut down!)
    That's going to be hard, if not impossible to find, I suspect. From what I've read on the T-Mo community support forum, T-Mo has expired all of the old unactivated SIMs (even the ones prior to having printed expiration dates) in order to reclaim the unused SIM numbers for newer SIMs.

So even if you found an unused 20 year old SIM left over from the 2190's heyday, it probably won't be able to be activated.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    If i can just find an old one still attached to a prepaid account.. i'm guessing that's the only way i'm going to get this done.

I use a prepaid phone for work "on call" anyway, so if I can still find an old Gold Rewards account for semi reasonable price i'll pick it up and just transition to that.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    ......T-Mo has expired all of the old unactivated SIMs (even the ones prior to having printed expiration dates) in order to reclaim the unused SIM numbers for newer SIMs......
    I had an old, unactivated, pre-expiration-date, SIM I wanted to take with me to Europe as a spare. I checked with T-Mobile and was told that it had been deleted from the system and could not be activated.

This is a real bummer, I've got some neat old phones I'd like to use but can't with my current SIM.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I had an old, unactivated, pre-expiration-date, SIM I wanted to take with me to Europe as a spare. I checked with T-Mobile and was told that it had been deleted from the system and could not be activated.

This is a real bummer, I've got some neat old phones I'd like to use but can't with my current SIM.
    What's odd though, is the SIM i had activated six months ago (TM9260) works with most of the devices. i should have never de-activated it and it's been longer than 90 days now. Just kinda sucks.

This StraightTalk SIM i have here works, but I am more looking for a paygo plan if i'm going to have to use another SIM/account with it.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Can OLD GSM only phones like the 2190 still work on modern systems? I thought U.S. carriers deactivated GSM 1900 band only phones. Do old Sprint/Vz CDMA phones still work?
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    8 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. TM One plan. Get $10/mo. rebate on 7 lines for low data use. Net cost about $185-190/mo. We haven't had a landline in more than 17 years.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    Some people with legacy Prepaid accounts (like me) may have updated the SIMs (like to nano) to use with newer phones, before they decided to offer the plan for sale.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikethaler View Post
    Can OLD GSM only phones like the 2190 still work on modern systems? I thought U.S. carriers deactivated GSM 1900 band only phones. Do old Sprint/Vz CDMA phones still work?
    Your information got from fake news.
    T-Mobile still has GSM 1900 running

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5+, Any and all Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Kinda sorta. AT&T has taken down their 2G network, but T-Mo has left a skeletal 2G network in place (using, from what I've read, a few MHz of guardband that would otherwise go unused) mostly to support machine-to-machine (M2M, what we'd now call IoT) devices like alarm systems, credit card terminals, GPS trackers, etc. Of course it would also allow calling and texting.

Other than the joy of getting a 20 year old phone to work again, I'm not sure it's worth the effort. Newer used phones that also support 3G can be had for a few bucks, so I'm not sure how desperate I'd have to be to revive a phone that old other than for kicks.

About a week or two ago, when someone here (DRNewcomb, maybe?) wondered aloud if modern T-Mo SIMs would even work in an old 2G-only phone, I dug out my 19 year-old beloved Nokia 8290 (my original Voicestream/T-Mo device) to test, but couldn't get it to take a charge and boot up. (The screen didn't even light when I plugged it in.) I left it plugged in overnight to no avail and gave up on it, so I couldn't report back with any useful data. I know I also had a Nokia 6610 around the house somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Everything else I dug out was either irretrievably dead (RIP Nokia 3650 and T-Mobile MDA!) or 3G/fauxG or newer.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Kinda sorta. AT&T has taken down their 2G network, but T-Mo has left a skeletal 2G network in place (using, from what I've read, a few MHz of guardband that would otherwise go unused) mostly to support machine-to-machine (M2M, what we'd now call IoT) devices like alarm systems, credit card terminals, GPS trackers, etc. Of course it would also allow calling and texting.

Other than the joy of getting a 20 year old phone to work again, I'm not sure it's worth the effort. Newer used phones that also support 3G can be had for a few bucks, so I'm not sure how desperate I'd have to be to revive a phone that old other than for kicks.

About a week or two ago, when someone here (DRNewcomb, maybe?) wondered aloud if modern T-Mo SIMs would even work in an old 2G-only phone, I dug out my 19 year-old beloved Nokia 8290 (my original Voicestream/T-Mo device) to test, but couldn't get it to take a charge and boot up. (The screen didn't even light when I plugged it in.) I left it plugged in overnight to no avail and gave up on it, so I couldn't report back with any useful data. I know I also had a Nokia 6610 around the house somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Everything else I dug out was either irretrievably dead (RIP Nokia 3650 and T-Mobile MDA!) or 3G/fauxG or newer.

Well honestly, i only work 3 days a week, so i'm just bored. But I found out T-Mobile Tracfone SIM cards work fine, I have a net10 card coming, and i'll dump $30 into this odd side object.

The Motorola Select 2000e will work for sure, as does my old 8390, and I currently have my old StarTac activated on Sprint/Tello 1c/min pay as you go.

Yup, on T-Mobile. It's running in space that would otherwise go unused on the network. It's the same footprint as the old GSM1900 network, so it's sketch indoors at times.. but it's fun to play with from time to time

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast